This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

zesty

Slx vs xtreme under 25ft
« on: July 29, 2023, 05:38:53 pm »
I haven’t used an slx for years and years.

For under 25ft is there much difference?

Thinking of getting an slx as my xtreme is getting a beating from builders cleans grit and sand etc.

tom20001

Re: Slx vs xtreme under 25ft
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 05:47:03 pm »
I love my slx 27 but got 47 foot recently and absolutely dread when I have to use it. Thing weighs an absolute tonne but at least I don't need it very often. For handy everyday domestic work I wouldn't change from slx

Splash & dash

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 05:48:50 pm »
The  extremes are obviously lighter and stiffer we have had extream 18 and 22 for years I use a 22 as my everyday pole and prefer it to the slx but have several 25 slx on the vans and they are excellent robust poles and they take a serious amount of abuse and still last years .

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 07:13:30 pm »
Extremes are best for owner operators.

When you get old like me and if you are still on the tools you will be glad you used extremes as it's less wear and tear on the body.

I have used as my everyday pole an extreme 20 (only 4 sections but longer than an 18 and lighter than a 22) for ten years or more now. Once a year I wash it through and lacquer it and get about three years instead of two.

Then I buy the top three sections and a new clamp goes on the biggest section.

The old top three sections then go in my extreme 47 as one has often snapped by then.
It's a game of three halves!

zesty

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 06:54:20 am »
Is the difference in weight that perceivable below 25 ft?

No need to tell me all about xtremes, I have been using extremes forever, just want to know if going to an slx is going to be unbearable or not  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 07:11:46 am »
Is the difference in weight that perceivable below 25 ft?

No need to tell me all about xtremes, I have been using extremes forever, just want to know if going to an slx is going to be unbearable or not  ;D

Yes.
It's a game of three halves!

zesty

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2023, 07:16:19 am »
Xtreme it is then.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 08:48:08 am »
IMHO an 18 extreme is beaten for value and durability by an slx 18
Ive had both
I'm 66 and can't tell much difference in the weight
Stick a wider 4 jet light brush on an slx and I'm happy as a pig in poo
Having said that, I won a free slx on here a few years back, so maybe I'm biased 😉😁😁

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 10:17:35 am »
Yes it's very noticeable.

Not so much at 18ft but 25 over a conny definitely.

I'm using a 25slx and 22slx daily at the moment finding it hard to fork out another 600 quid on an extreme that will snap within  months that's the only downside.

It's going to depend on your work I reckon if you can get away with 18 ft slx 80 % of the time and have an extreme 25 for the other 20% then you've probably got the best of both worlds in terms of weight and longevity as obviously the extreme will.last longer. I couldn't be bothered swapping poles about when I tried this though so I just ended up using the 25 extreme for everything.

zesty

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2023, 04:04:10 pm »
Yeah I’d only use the slx for lower work.

Then the xtreme for 3 story and above.

But because I’ve only ever used xtremes, I can’t imagine what an slx feels like to compare. I was hoping around 18-22ft wouldn’t make much difference.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2023, 05:03:51 pm »
As I said, I'd don't think it does.
My extreme 18 didn't last at all.
Love my SLX

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2023, 06:11:34 pm »

I'm using a 25slx and 22slx daily at the moment finding it hard to fork out another 600 quid on an extreme that will snap within  months that's the only downside.

It's going to depend on your work I reckon if you can get away with 18 ft slx 80 % of the time and have an extreme 25 for the other 20% then you've probably got the best of both worlds in terms of weight and longevity as obviously the extreme will.last longer. I couldn't be bothered swapping poles about when I tried this though so I just ended up using the 25 extreme for everything.

They don’t snap within a few months and if they do it’s user error mine are used 7 hours a day 5 days a week and  last at least 2-3 years before replacement sections are needed and staff use them as well .

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 06:23:24 pm »
My phantom hi mod is 3 years old and still going strong.
I like extremes but they don’t last as long as phantom hi mod. Similar weight aswell.

Tris

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2023, 07:11:28 pm »

They don’t snap within a few months and if they do it’s user error mine are used 7 hours a day 5 days a week and  last at least 2-3 years before replacement sections are needed and staff use them as well .

Ive had 2. First one snapped top section after 7 months, after a year or so 2nd section went and within 18 months it was ready for the bin.

Bought another 1 st section snapped within 6 weeks! second section around the year mark and again inside 2 years was binned

i then bought an xline hi mod that was more durable pole but still managed to snap top section on it

Hi mod poles arent up to proper use, maybe if you handle them like a girl, wiping them down every day and pampering them they might last a bit longer. Never managed to snap an slx section yet and ive had loads of them.

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2023, 07:17:58 pm »

Ive had 2. First one snapped top section after 7 months, after a year or so 2nd section went and within 18 months it was ready for the bin.

Bought another 1 st section snapped within 6 weeks! second section around the year mark and again inside 2 years was binned

i then bought an xline hi mod that was more durable pole but still managed to snap top section on it

Hi mod poles arent up to proper use, maybe if you handle them like a girl, wiping them down every day and pampering them they might last a bit longer. Never managed to snap an slx section yet and ive had loads of them.

As I said user error  we have 10 extream  poles in various sizes and get at least 2-3 year’s minimum from poles that are used every day think you must be very heavy handed . You speak as if the pole broke its self  it’s down ti the person using it not the pole , if you are shutting windows with it at acute  angles then yes you will break them but fir normal cleaning they last very well

Stoots

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2023, 07:25:17 am »

As I said user error  we have 10 extream  poles in various sizes and get at least 2-3 year’s minimum from poles that are used every day think you must be very heavy handed . You speak as if the pole broke its self  it’s down ti the person using it not the pole , if you are shutting windows with it at acute  angles then yes you will break them but fir normal cleaning they last very well

You are the first person ive heard to say that an extreme will last 2 or 3 years, most people seem to snap them very fast.

Even Alex admits as such on his website :

"Important please note - even when looked after well these poles will wear out faster than standard carbon poles and will need regular section replacement due to their thin wall design - if subject to heavy domestic use this could be as soon as 10-12 months"

He wouldnt put that on if there was not an issue with wear, which is fine btw its very thin pole designed to be as light as possible but we all know the trade off is durability.

You and your staff must be extremely delicate

DJW

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2023, 07:52:21 am »
They spend most of their days on here.

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2023, 01:26:54 pm »

You are the first person ive heard to say that an extreme will last 2 or 3 years, most people seem to snap them very fast.

Even Alex admits as such on his website :

"Important please note - even when looked after well these poles will wear out faster than standard carbon poles and will need regular section replacement due to their thin wall design - if subject to heavy domestic use this could be as soon as 10-12 months"

He wouldnt put that on if there was not an issue with wear, which is fine btw its very thin pole designed to be as light as possible but we all know the trade off is durability.

You and your staff must be extremely delicate

I can only say what we have experienced I never replace a section before 2-3 years and it’s usually the top section or section 2 that then need replacing I have never had any other sections break and have older extreame that are 7-8 years old that have only replaced the top two sections . An slx is a much more robust pole and we usually get 4-5 years out of them without replacing any sections, then when they start spinning we just replace them we don’t generally maintain any of our pole as don’t have the time think we have around 28 in total all Gardiner’s .

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2023, 04:01:33 pm »
All I can say is regardless of how long the hi mod poles last, none of the window cleaning suppliers sell spare body parts.
For me I would rather replace a pole section than a shoulder joint or a worn rotator cuff.

I remember using  the first ionic carbon poles
at 60ft. You needed to take a day off after a day of using at height.

Lighter poles are an investment.

T

the king

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2023, 09:21:29 pm »
i get 2 years out of a extreme in that 2 years i snap section 1and 2 there fantastic poles i also use a 25ft xline nano clamps are naff ive now put phamton clamps on its now very nice pole no snapped sections as yet  i also think there is a huge difference in waight i would go extreme every time slx just to heavy