This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Beecroft

Round valuation
« on: June 19, 2022, 04:40:56 pm »
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so be kind.
I'm now 66 and drawing my pension so I'm offloading some of my round to start to wind things down.
My question is this, what's the going rate for selling work?
I've always assumed 4 times the monthly value but my son-in-law says 10 times.
Any advice would be appreciated.
David

Splash & dash

Re: Round valuation
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 04:50:53 pm »
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so be kind.
I'm now 66 and drawing my pension so I'm offloading some of my round to start to wind things down.
My question is this, what's the going rate for selling work?
I've always assumed 4 times the monthly value but my son-in-law says 10 times.
Any advice would be appreciated.
David

Lol if it was worth 10x the monthly price I would sell up and be a millionaire 😂😂😂 on a serious note most seam to sell for 4-5 x monthly price  all you are buying is a list of names and good will , I am in the process of doing similar to you I am selling at 4x and it’s all very compact work I doubt many would  pay  more than that , I see plenty advertised higher but doubt it sells for that . Area and type of work will have a small effect on price and also how difficult it is to pick up work , ware I am it’s difficult to sell work as it’s easy to pick up work so ones build there own round rather than buying .

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 05:11:09 pm »
It depends.

Why not start at 10x and drop the price if no takers, bit like selling a car...

Ive sold work at  3x and at 6x depends how desperate you are to get rid and what someone is willing to pay.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 05:13:04 pm »
Why is it not worth X 10 all this it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay maybe,just weed out the idiots that give you offers otherwise trying it on.
Anyone that knows the job knows that they’ll earn it back in no time if they are introduced over a couple of months there’s no reason why they should lose hardly any.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 05:18:25 pm »
I would never sell any work I have for X 3 lol who thought that one up then,a doddle of a single job for £70-80 that takes 25 minutes for 210-240 yeah I bet someone would pay X 3 let me know where there’s some of that for sale please.
You should employ someone and once they know it send them out alone if it goes T**S up then think about selling it,you could give him 2/3rds or 1/2 and get more than you’ll get from any pension unless you have built up a ridiculously large pot.

Splash & dash

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 05:18:59 pm »
Why is it not worth X 10 all this it’s only worth what someone is willing to pay maybe,just weed out the idiots that give you offers otherwise trying it on.
Anyone that knows the job knows that they’ll earn it back in no time if they are introduced over a couple of months there’s no reason why they should lose hardly any.

Would you be prepared to work for 10 months and not earn any money ??? How would you pay your bills , it’s easy for us well established ones to say yes it’s worth 6-10x  the price but try looking at it from the buyers point of view , by the time they have started earning money from it they will also probably have lost some jobs so take Evan longer to start earning .

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 05:21:41 pm »
I would never sell any work I have for X 3 lol who thought that one up then,a doddle of a single job for £70-80 that takes 25 minutes for 210-240 yeah I bet someone would pay X 3 let me know where there’s some of that for sale please.
You should employ someone and once they know it send them out alone if it goes T**S up then think about selling it,you could give him 2/3rds or 1/2 and get more than you’ll get from any pension unless you have built up a ridiculously large pot.

Ime selling a load of work at the job price you are talking about at 4x tbe price got over 4,500 customers and still rapidly picking up work ,but it’s easy ware I am to pick up work .

NWH

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 05:26:30 pm »
If you are buying a route of work that is established and is worth the money it’s worth putting in the effort to make sure you get to know the customers over a few months,anyone serious would or should do this.
You’re talking about average work paying 3-6X and taking a chance,I’m not talking about I don’t fancy doing them anymore there a pain in the butt I’m talking about quality work worth decent money a ready to start earning decent money from the off.
If it took you a year only to earn back what you’d paid after that it’s a built up business earning,imo far better than canvassing average work that returns the same for cleaning 30-40 jobs a day over half a dozen.

NWH

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 05:30:24 pm »
I would sell it to someone that’s serious not someone that’s just discovered a squeegee that wouldn’t have a clue what they were buying so they’d offer you peanuts,they’d also say I’m only buying good will and all the other nonsense that comes with it.
If they are serious and know the business they’d pay proper money and not a ridiculous amount like X 3 the Value,I would let my work turn to dust rather than give it away for that.

Splash & dash

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 05:46:39 pm »
If you are buying a route of work that is established and is worth the money it’s worth putting in the effort to make sure you get to know the customers over a few months,anyone serious would or should do this.
You’re talking about average work paying 3-6X and taking a chance,I’m not talking about I don’t fancy doing them anymore there a pain in the butt I’m talking about quality work worth decent money a ready to start earning decent money from the off.
If it took you a year only to earn back what you’d paid after that it’s a built up business earning,imo far better than canvassing average work that returns the same for cleaning 30-40 jobs a day over half a dozen.

All our work is well established 24 year up to now as work comes and goes 99% is very compact , and the vast majority is very well priced as ones struggle to find decent reliable window cleaners down hear and when they do they don’t want to loose you , I have  tried dumping my cheapest jobs but when I tell them that I have to much work they ask how much more do you want to keep us on , and get rid of someone else , this is why Ime selling  over 4,000 jobs on and down sizing ,staff are buying their rounds that they do and vans

David Beecroft

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 05:54:52 pm »
I've had a friend working it for the past 10years but unfortunately he's recently become seriously ill and it doesn't look like he's going to recover. I'm keeping some work for myself and I have another round being worked by another couple of men, so I'm not exactly going to be broke. I'm past recruiting and training other workers ,so if I can realise its value I'm happy. Interestingly my son-in-law sold his run for 10times the value a few years ago. He sold it within an hour of advertising it.  Right enough he was in the posh suburbs of Glasgow whereas I'm out in the posh part of the sticks.  I think I'll try 10times for a week then reduce it if no interest.

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 06:14:42 pm »
I've had a friend working it for the past 10years but unfortunately he's recently become seriously ill and it doesn't look like he's going to recover. I'm keeping some work for myself and I have another round being worked by another couple of men, so I'm not exactly going to be broke. I'm past recruiting and training other workers ,so if I can realise its value I'm happy. Interestingly my son-in-law sold his run for 10times the value a few years ago. He sold it within an hour of advertising it.  Right enough he was in the posh suburbs of Glasgow whereas I'm out in the posh part of the sticks.  I think I'll try 10times for a week then reduce it if no interest.

If your son in  law sold his round for 10x  the price then why bother asking on hear for advice ?? Seams a pointless  exercise,. 

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 08:34:58 pm »

If you hold their hand and go round the whole lot with the new guy cleaning once introducing him to customers, handing out a leaflet explaining the new guy is going to take over and showing the idiosyncrasies of each job then you could command more for the round than a list of names and addresses.

Adding value gains you more money.

It's a game of three halves!

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 08:42:09 pm »

If you hold their hand and go round the whole lot with the new guy cleaning once introducing him to customers, handing out a leaflet explaining the new guy is going to take over and showing the idiosyncrasies of each job then you could command more for the round than a list of names and addresses.

Adding value gains you more money.

I thought that was standard practice I have always done that when selling work .

Blue Frog Systems

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 10:53:25 pm »
I sold my round 12 years ago and got 5x the value.
Only those who risk going too far will truly know how far they can actually go

NBwcs

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 12:05:35 am »

errr no ::)roll , if they buy an established round from an experienced wc at x10 its monthly turnover, itll take 10 months before he sees a profit if he's a sole trader, unless he,s Terry Burrows on crack.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 06:48:25 am »
Anything is only worth as much as someone’s willing to pay. My mum told me that.😀

KS Cleaning

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2022, 07:44:18 am »

errr no ::)roll , if they buy an established round from an experienced wc at x10 its monthly turnover, itll take 10 months before he sees a profit if he's a sole trader, unless he,s Terry Burrows on crack.
It will actually take longer than that to make a profit once tax and NI is accounted for, along with all the other expenses.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2022, 08:35:56 am »

It depends on your buyer. If they are cash/credit rich (someone building a business with employees, redundant person with a payout etc.) they view it as an investment.

If it's Billy scratch-ass off the dole, not so much.  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:37 am »
Someone serious would probably put a cleaner out doing the work so they’d have their wages as well but within 12-18 months it’s paid back,if you buy a decent business you can’t expect to earn profit from it from day 1 unless you pay peanuts for something that’s not worth even looking at.
If  you opened a shop you’d be lucky to be breaking even for 2 years after the investment you’d put in.