This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Slacky

Vancouver - Window Cleaning
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:12:42 pm »
Currently I’m on a trip to Canada, although return tomorrow.

Vancouver is full of these tower blocks, hundreds, literally. They’re very impressive, not at all ugly on the eye and full of glass.

There’s a fella cleaning this one opposite our hotel on the water front. Eighth floor balcony.  Traditional….

He could be there a while….

NWH

Re: Vancouver - Window Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 10:22:46 pm »
Looks like he’s there with a woman wearing a boob tube 🤣🤣

Slash

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 05:50:14 pm »
Where's Wally.

dd

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 03:53:24 pm »
Hoping to visit Vancouver/Rockies in next year or two.

Anything you particularly recommend?

markymark

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 04:59:50 pm »
Hoping to visit Vancouver/Rockies in next year or two.

Anything you particularly recommend?

Our lad lives there before moving to Victoria on VI. Try ziplining at Whistler, obviously skiing/boarding there too. Plenty of hiking around there, and a new mountain bike run for off season. There are bears and mountain lions in them thar hills. Always pays to listen to locals.
Also take the seaplane from Whistler to Va, really is better than driving and So much quicker. Va is like any big city, lots to do including Stanley Park. On the island there is surfing at Tofino, whale watching (recommend BC Whale Tours from Victoria harbour),  again plenty of outdoor sports around the whole island. Might be worth looking in to getting a  RYA qualification to allow you to hire a boat for a few days as there are loads of smaller islands to tour around, some with very few people on the further away from Victoria you go.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Slacky

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 05:30:30 pm »
I'd imagine MarkyMark has covered most things.

I was hoping to spot a bear or two but it didn't happen. You don't necessarily have to wait to go in to particularly rural places to spot one, they have a habit of coming in towns, scavenging. Which is why all food thats disposed of has to be frozen before you put it in your bin and only put out to be collected on the day of collection. We did see a couple of Bald Eagles and plenty of other regular wildlife, deer up close. I was particularly taken with the black squirrels, cute little things.

The following pic was taken at a place called Madeira Park which was probably one of the highlights of my trip. So quiet.

In the first pic you can se the planes Mark is referring to. You can book them here https://www.harbourair.com

dd

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 05:37:13 pm »
Thanks guys. Doing some walking/hiking in the mountains has particular appeal. I guess it is a good idea to carry  some bear spray.

Slacky

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 05:49:04 pm »
If you come across a bear dont do a fecking thing, apart from moving slowly backwards. Dont run!

This view is from a place called Soames Hill. Just outside Gibsons. Gibsons is on the mainland but there are no roads in and out of the place. Its only accessible by ferry.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 10:48:03 pm »
What is this a flecking holiday site with guided tour or a window cleaning site!  ; ???
Get back to work Slacky or you will get soft.
You are not supposed to be enjoying yourself at this time of year!  ;D

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 12:41:06 am »
Probably going back out there in Feb, either that or April. Maybe even both  ;D

I might retire….  ;D ;D

dd

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 02:30:33 pm »
Bears should be hibernating until March/April.

Slacky

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 02:55:27 pm »
In Gibsons a mother grizzly was killed on the road last week, leaving a  youngster an orphan. All hands on deck to catch it and raise it to an age where it can adequately survive on its own. Im no expert, but they do seem to move more in to places of human habitation in order to scrounge food scraps, particularly in cold winter months.

Apparently they do this more when winters are milder...

markymark

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 08:51:31 pm »
From talking to the Canadian side of the family, the bears are to be given a wide berth just in case. When they wake up after hibernation they can be cranky - which is only to be expected after that long without food. Also the old adage is that if you can't see the mountain lion, it's time to think it's because it's stalking you. There's also been a few reported coyote attacks in Stanley park this summer. It's quite an eye opening reminder that nature is red in tooth and claw, and without a gun or bear spray us humans are soft and chewy to a lot of animals.
In other news, there was a programme maybe about 5 years ago where unemployed youths were taken from the UK to places around the world to try the world of work. I think one episode was a window cleaner doing high rise rope work in Vancouver. One of the three ended up staying and dping some graft.
The good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not.

Slacky

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 09:43:52 pm »
There's also been a few reported coyote attacks in Stanley park this summer.

Yes, according to Laura, who I visited, this has been the case. They're unsure why this has been happening although now compared to back in the summer the attacks aren't happening.

We walked through Stanley Park a couple of times, lovely place.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 03:21:31 pm »
If you come across a grizzly with Cubs . Go up and pet the Cubs and tickle there belly . That way the mother will know you are friendly and leave you alone .