This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Leigh

Do I go for it? Hi all. Please help!
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:13:46 pm »
Hi everyone, I am a young guy and I currently work part time in a shop, which I absoulutely hate. I earn bad money ( the min wage) and currently take home just £100 per week. I have long thought of becoming self employed as a window cleaner on a part time basis while still keeping my other job should things not go as planned.
My area has plenty of window cleaners already which is the one thing that puts me off, i.e not knowing if i will get any customers. Here are a few concerns of mine and really hope that your experience will help me.
I have a small car, but do i need business insurance for transporting the ladders etc?
Should I get liabilty insurance before i start or see if i get any work first?
Whats the best way of attracting new customers esecially as a total beginner?
Do I really stand a chance of gaining work?
I have thought of doing this for a while, I am young and think that I could make it given enough time. I am only 20, unmarried, no kids. Should I go for it?

totalclean

Re: Do I go for it? Hi all. Please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:04:22 pm »
leigh ive been window cleaning for 10 years for verious companys and its only now that i feel ready to start up for myself .its took a long time to gain the experience nessersary to start up for my self people think that starting a window cleaning business is easy going may be it was way back when.now theres so many things to take into account its not that easy.if i was you ide suggest start working for a w/c locally or a company ,gain the experiance before just going it alone.good luck with what-ever you deside

ducky

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:29:32 pm »
go for it u are young no ties.i wish i did years ago.if u have not done it before get the reach and wash it would be better for the lads on here will help u. :D
if it cleans we will clean it

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:39:33 pm »
Leigh

I would say go for it.
You are in a good position with no wife or kids.

Get some business cards printed up you can get these for free you just pay the postage from www.vistaprint.co.uk

Then go out and find an area you would like to clean and knock some doors asking if they would be interested in having a reliable window cleaner.

If door knocking is not your thing then print up some leaflets on your computer or get some cheap leaflets printed and leaflet everywhere you would like to work in.
You will get calls from the leaflets but will be a bit more spread out.

Buy your window cleaning tools and practice on your own house before you actually start on people houses.

You don't need public liability yet not until you start to clean windows and even then its not a legal obligation but is advisable.

Also never undercut other window cleaners as you will regret this further down the line.

Keep you job until you get enough customers that you can then pack it in and concentrate on window cleaning.

Don't worry about other window cleaners in your area there are quite a few in all area's but there is more windows that need cleaning than window cleaners

Good luck

Paul

Grafters Cleaning Services

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 03:42:55 pm »
hi leigh
my 17yr old son (like you) was also working in a shop earning cr*p money for long hours,
i took him on with me and now he earns twice as much as his old job normally finished by 3pm and no more weekend working.

when i eventually retire (a long way off yet) he will take over from me.

my advice to is go for it you will earn more than £100 pw but try to get out with a local w/c first to learn the trade, good luck.
Jay
JAY "GRAFTERS"
From Southampton
www.high-shine.co.uk

C Senor

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 05:25:49 pm »
Hello Leigh,

Go for it bud, especially before you get the 'kids' and all of the trimmings.

I have recently started myself, though i did used to go and do a bit when i was 18/19 yrs old, so i sort of remembered what needed to be done and not a great deal has changed with traditional cleaning.
I'm 33 now and have started a MCSE (Microsoft) course which takes roughly 1-2 years so i wanted to find a job which could cover my bills and give me plenty of flexible time to study.
Window Cleaning is perfect for that.

I started with nothing about 6 weeks ago, i bought a roof rack, ladders and all of the gear that i would need and off i went knocking doors.
In my first couple of weeks, i did the customers houses there and then - i think i picked up about £170 worth of regular work in no time at all.
Also dont be put off by window cleaners already in the area, you will find that they don't clean everyone, some of them will have a full quota of work and wont be looking to take on any more. I have about 7 houses in a street which already had a window cleaner, just keep on knocking.

I sent out a couple of emails 2 weeks ago and found some work which was for sale not too far from me. I paid £200 for just over £300 of regular work which was a great bargain for me. The window cleaner was a good bloke and i cleaned them all and introduced myself to all the customers before paying him.

So in 4 weeks i managed to get myself £500 a month of regular work and thats just the start.

The jobs that i paid for are not brilliant and they take a bit longer than i would like, but at the moment i'm just trying to build an income up and i'm very happy with the way its going.

My own work that i price for, i am working on £15-£20 an hour and i seem to be hitting that mark, i've been out today and i did just over 3 hours for £51 - i also do realise that i'm still quite a bit slow and can pick the pace up a bit further down the road.

I've got a couple of hours to do tomorrow and then i've got a week off to try and build some more, i think once i've got a full month i will be looking to comfortably do about £80-100 a day.

There's no reason why you can't do it as well Leigh, unless you're scared of heights and are rubbish at cleaning windows that is.   ;)

Carl.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:34:55 pm »
Leigh

You don't need public liability yet not until you start to clean windows and even then its not a legal obligation but is advisable.

The day you start work without insurance is the day you risk losing everything you have worked for!!

Insurance is cheap in comparison to the £1000's it may cost to repair a car that your ladder has fallen on, to mend a conservatoy roof you put your foot through. Lets face it, your not exerienced and going to be working on your own taking risks perhaps a more experience w/c wouldn't do. What risk factor do you think you are, I would say in the region of at least 65%

If you drive your car and the police stop you, you will be charged for no insurance if you don't have "including business" in your policy. Don't think the travelling to and from is good enough as that means to 1 specific place and if you have ladders on your roof your in trouble.

Start as you mean to go on. Do it RIGHT from the start, don't try to cut corners as in this game its just not worth it.

Don't wish to sound hard just want you to have the best start to your business.

What is your location, your profile is not filled in?

Best wishes,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

Paul Coleman

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 05:45:17 pm »
Hi everyone, I am a young guy and I currently work part time in a shop, which I absoulutely hate. I earn bad money ( the min wage) and currently take home just £100 per week. I have long thought of becoming self employed as a window cleaner on a part time basis while still keeping my other job should things not go as planned.
My area has plenty of window cleaners already which is the one thing that puts me off, i.e not knowing if i will get any customers. Here are a few concerns of mine and really hope that your experience will help me.
I have a small car, but do i need business insurance for transporting the ladders etc?
Should I get liabilty insurance before i start or see if i get any work first?
Whats the best way of attracting new customers esecially as a total beginner?
Do I really stand a chance of gaining work?
I have thought of doing this for a while, I am young and think that I could make it given enough time. I am only 20, unmarried, no kids. Should I go for it?

Absolutely.
Go for it.
Regarding your car insurance - tell your insurer.  They may refuse you cover but many are OK with it.  Direct Line used to insure me as a private user who uses his vehicle in connection with his business - and that was with a small van.  I only had to switch from them when I upgraded my van and had a water tank installed.  They didn't like the water tank.
I suggest getting you public liability insurance first day you start.  It will encourage you to stick with it as you won't want to waste the money  :)
The quickest way of getting work is by door knocking.

You have every chance of making a success of it.  Besides, if it doesn't work out, you've still got your part-time job.  Give it a year (perhaps even two) and you will seriously resent the lousy money you are paid for your shop job.  Get this image firmly fixed in mind.  The day arrives when you walk into the shop and hand the manager an envelope.  The envelope contains your notice.  I suggest that you do this in the Springtime.  How about this?  The PAYE year ends on 5th April.  Make 5th April next year the last day of your notice period.  It is very achievable.  You might even enclose a quotation for cleaning the shop front with your notice letter  ;D

Practise on your own windows first and try and get a few days out with a local W/C to pick up a few tips.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:46:24 pm »
Leigh

The day you start work without insurance is the day you risk losing everything you have worked for!!

Insurance is cheap in comparison to the £1000's it may cost to repair a car that your ladder has fallen on, to mend a conservatoy roof you put your foot through. Lets face it, your not exerienced and going to be working on your own taking risks perhaps a more experience w/c wouldn't do. What risk factor do you think you are, I would say in the region of at least 65%

If you drive your car and the police stop you, you will be charged for no insurance if you don't have "including business" in your policy. Don't think the travelling to and from is good enough as that means to 1 specific place and if you have ladders on your roof your in trouble.

Start as you mean to go on. Do it RIGHT from the start, don't try to cut corners as in this game its just not worth it.

Don't wish to sound hard just want you to have the best start to your business.

What is your location, your profile is not filled in?

Best wishes,

Trev

Yeah.  What he said   ;D

Fast 1 *

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:34:07 pm »
where are you based?
wildstyles

Leigh

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:46 am »
Thanks everyone for all your help. I will make a go of it and set out on my way. Im in west sussex, nr worthing. Cheers and no doubt i'll be back with more questions very soon. Thanks again.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:53:36 pm »
Thanks everyone for all your help. I will make a go of it and set out on my way. Im in west sussex, nr worthing. Cheers and no doubt i'll be back with more questions very soon. Thanks again.

I'm at the other end of the county in Crawley (only a 40 minute drive).  You're welcome to join me for a day if you want to pick up a few tips.  I'm not especially fast and I'm not pretending to be the best but if you want some pointers, I'm here.

busydaffodil

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 06:53:37 pm »
Whatever you decide.....good luck.   

If you do decide to go for it, remember, there is always back-up & assistance on here.  these guys n gals are fabulous people.

Liz

pylofm

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 09:58:54 pm »
Just like you I was thinking about it and for me it is the clearest decision that I have made for some years.

In truth no-one can tell you what course to take....but if you're like me and the many here....Just go for it...

But, there is always a but....do it the right way, protect yourself, much of life is an excercise in avoiding/limiting how much your being s@*t on by others

Cheers
Dave.

busydaffodil

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 02:25:16 pm »
much of life is an excercise in avoiding/limiting how much your being s@*t on by others

That is so true!  Can I borrow that line?

pylofm

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 03:05:14 pm »
Feel free.. use the line  ;D

cheers
Dave.

robbie14000

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 10:08:44 pm »
Hi leigh,
             Window Cleaning is changing drastically and now is the best time to take the plunge.
You do need some experience so would recommend getting a part time job and see how you go.
Whether you like it /pros and cons.
Then start planning
Buy Leaflets (d.P design are Excellent and will help with layout Email: info@nathan12.karoo.co.uk.
Buy equipment
Buy a Uniform (always helps and looks professional.
Always be at work (act professionally at all times as you don,t know who is watching, be polite and curtious.)
Get insurance/liability insurance/sole trader is reasonable but goes up dramatically if you employ people.
Don,t be frightened to ask other window cleaners questions while out
Do not price to cheap as you will be chasing your arse all week for little rewards
Always do a good job, on every job - word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
Always sell your business - Let customers know you can do other work for them -Gutters,facia soffits.
Most important - be on time - regular.
i,ve been going 2.5 years after being in leisure(H&S) and I love it.
Do a good job 1st time and every time and you will have a great career and business that thrives.
Good luck
Robbie - Clearshine - Harrogate

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 11:59:31 pm »
P.s Dont listen to the "before your married with kids bit" i have 4 daughters have started my life over again and still come out on top.If you want to start any business it will succeed as long as you want to succeed weather you have no kids or 50 no wife or many.Your young and if i was asked "would i have done this 20 years ago" id still say no because the time wasnt right.But hey this is a great business to get into financially rewarding a great deal of respect from your customers and a better proffesion than many you will have through your life time.

I talk to many window cleaners or wannabees wanting to take this on to make a quick buck ..............one thing this isnt.

As long as your prepaired for the following:

Hot long days,Stiff back,neck,legs.........No money for days because its non stop raining.......poles ,hose frozen.......people cancelling for the most silliest reason........under quoting...being rejected time after time from having to knock doors........insurances,income tax,national insurance..oh and your accountants bill,a huge rise in your water rates if you go WFp....resin,petrol/diesel....software to run your business properlly.Thinking your going to pay your morgatge on time but alas mr big shot commercial still hasent paid that"HUGE CHECK" yet because he forgot to tell you his terms are 90 days before he pays you.

Etc Etc Etc

So for all those who think this is a quick money making business then dont even bother to start.
But if you got determination and the heart after as many knock backs as you can get and beleive me they will come then off you go my son and long may you prosper.

Oh and when you are married to "Mrs Right" and have umpteen children dont tell them you earn a fantastic income cos they will spend most of their time in the salon or nail bar spending it as quick as you can earn it but hey thats the fun   part giving it back to the ones you love cos you werent able to do it years before. Oh and im only 34

Allways Cleaning

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 10:55:42 am »
hi leigh
i am starting out to getting my equipment together etc. the biggest headache at the mo for me is insurance.. >:( driving me nuts so arranged me commercial insurance for the van but so many will not entertain windowcleaners. so looked at combined insurance van, goods/tools in transit and p/l insurance. not easy to get the right combination as the insurance companies charge lots of different rates. do not start without insurance is is not worth it. i wil probably go for a separate van insurance and combined tools in transit p/l policy reason being if i have an accident in van i should not effect my other polycies. but if i need to claim for damaged equipment in van or theft from van, i will have two excess to pay which are for me possibly £100 and £150. so choose wisley in the first place. it may be worth your while going the diy route and make a few bits yourself to save a few bob. but once you start you will need to recoup your investment so a year part time should be a reasonable time to see if it suits you.
i cant give you much more advice as i dont have any but there are lots of people on this forum who can ;D so ask!
good luck in your windowcleaning business keep at it perservere, it will happen. pop back and ask questions i do and i know so much more and it will have saved me i recon at least one year of growing pains for business.
i started by writing down how much i wanted to earn say £20k a year less than what i earn now but liveable. how many houses would i need to clean a year? £8 average lots  :-\ :-\ but five day week you should aim at £100 day sound too much? 12 paying customers or so half hour each six hours. i can and have played around with figures for hours but you must have a target.
there is so much more a steep learning curve but what new job is not ;)
i would say however you cant beat going around with another window cleaner for experience even if you supply your labour for free! maybee just a day or so a week but you will learn sooo much.
enjoy your new enterprise because if you dont try it you will never know 8)
regards

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 08:05:29 pm »
Why not. Give it a go you've always got your other job to fall back on!!