This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

edward1

Scratched glass
« on: August 03, 2021, 06:50:47 pm »
Had a custy call to say I had scratched one of her windows .

Have any of u had this and how do I know if did it or if something else .

And if something else what could it be

Thanks for any comments

jk999

Re: Scratched glass
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:12:08 pm »
Go look see how deep the scratch is ,me personally don't think it will be your fault but good luck in convincing customer it wasn't your fault

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 11:27:52 pm »
seen it done

also had customers try it on

you need to look at it before making a decision - and where the window is - ground floor, first floor etc...

how you deal with it, is really down to you and your ongoing relationship with the customer, and to that effect how long and what sort of customer they have been..

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Granny

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 08:44:50 am »
Best thing you can do to resolve it is go and take a look.
Show them you are not trying to run away from any responsibility but don't admit to anything.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:55:09 pm »
Nearly all scratches you can see before you clean them any label or silicone clean I have ever done I always say could you sign this waver please once they’ve walked me round,sod that lol that’s 1000s to replace a house full of windows especially if they were just trying it on with the window cleaner that’s got to be one of the oldest tricks in the book.

NWH

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:43 pm »
Also the cameras on today’s phones are amazing I would’ve taken photos first also,takes seconds.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 03:25:47 pm »
i just go and have a look at it, but before i do i explain to them that if it looks like we could have done it we'll pay for it to be replaced. and then i explain to them what i would be looking for... so long scratches in the same direction... its not going to be lots of random scratches

then like i say go and see it... they've already had a look themselves in the mean time and often they will say before i see it... it doesnt look like what you were describing so i dont think it was you

if it looks like it could have been us, just pay up and congratulate yourself on being a stand up guy or gal  ;D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 03:57:34 pm »
Just say to them no problem I’ll cover the cost and when you get home and check your policy and it says it doesn’t cover damage to glass you’ll be sick,some don’t cover that.

Smudger

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 04:06:49 pm »
Just say to them no problem I’ll cover the cost and when you get home and check your policy and it says it doesn’t cover damage to glass you’ll be sick,some don’t cover that.

if you made any sense you'd be dangerous Nigel - what are you trying to say ?

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

NWH

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 04:55:19 pm »
Not all public liability covers damage to glass I was paying it for years without it m8,my Mrs went through the roof after she asked me if I’d checked and I hadn’t.

Smudger

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 05:19:21 pm »
Just pay for a new piece of glass - its no biggie - I wouldn't even entertain going through insurance

Darran

Simon Trapani

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 06:27:01 pm »
Some panes are dead expensive. Especially the large 6mm.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:24 pm »
I paid 130 for a standard  double glazed I broke, I spoke to a glazier he said I was ripped off

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 10:38:48 pm »
Just last month I paid £240 for a conservatory pane of glass. 🤦‍♂️

It’s had a crack in it from day one, I’ve just not cleaned anywhere near the crack and left that top corner dirty. (Yes I know, I shouldn’t have touched it at all)

Then my wife who works with me two days a week misunderstood me and she cleaned it as normal with hot water. The crack split across the pane.

The customer said they never knew they’re was a crack on the glass to begin with. I just took the hit.

Live and learn. 
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

anderclean

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 11:19:12 pm »
how do you scrath a customers glass using a purpose made glass cleaning brush ?

the king

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2021, 07:43:14 am »
I got stung lady had scratches on all her windows i pointed this out to her 1st day i started cleaning her windows as she was ranting on about taking a trader to court over a Invoice and bad workmanship.  I should have walked away there and then but few years down the line she became a bad payer,so i stoped the cleaning ,she begged me to take her back on so i did ,big mistake  ::)roll 3 cleans later get the call ,you have scratched my tinted glass had to go through insurance, over 5k for new windows  :o cost me £150 access,  she us now no longer a customer 🤕 big lesson there for me

NWH

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 09:40:39 am »
If i had already pointed it out I wouldn’t have said I’ll sort it out if you get them to sign something you won’t have this problem and you want to hang on to it,like I say you can see if there’s damage or scratches before you tackle them if they’ve ever had too much cement or silicone on the glass I’ve always said you will have to get the builder to sort this before I clean them on a regular basis.
It’s always worked for me when I’ve said I’m not prepared to clean them like this they are in too much of a state they shouldn’t have been left like this,on a domestic this works probably not on commercial first cleans though.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 10:25:57 am »
I had a customer wanting a full conservatory clean along with s/f/g

as always the guys took a before picture - the next day customer rang stating we had cracked a window - I looked at the before photo and you could clearly see the crack - sent him the photo - no more issues.

we do the same with roof cleaning so we don't get blamed for broken tiles

Darran