This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jim bean

Re: Hourly rate
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2021, 11:00:05 pm »
This is the thing that most simpletons don’t understand someone says they earn 50 notes an hour and they start believing it,add up all you’re fuel-Tax-Nat ins-poles + equipment etc  van payments or van repairs and then subtract that from you’re 50 notes an hour.
Then add days you can’t work due to weather or holidays the list goes on and on,that 50 don’t look great now does it.

Fuel don’t cost much if you work local Nat insurance is like £2 a week , poles last years and years. Vehicles have never cost me much maybe I’m lucky always bought low mileage never had a single problem with any van I’ve ever had writing them off is my only cost
I’ve done the maths and missing the years I’ve had to replace a van I get it around 5% which at £50 an hour is £2.50. If lower it’s less  ;DNot making that much of a dent is it? 
And 40 hours on the glass is easily done I regularly do more than that
You need to redo your maths Jim! Don’t you pay any income tax?

I’d love to know where I can sign up to £2/week national insurance also. Last I checked it was multiple thousands per year.

Without checking I pay class 2 or class 4 which you have to and I’m sure it’s 2.65 or something a week?
Income tax isn’t really a expense it’s paid at the end of the year I don’t factor it as an expense. I can pay it when it’s due as an when as every year, and from what people say they earn on here if they can’t then people are chatting bob
Given that you said you work 40 hours per week on the glass and you will be paying class 4, which is paid at 9% on any profit over £9.5k...So it looks like it’s you who’s chatting bob if you say you’re only paying £2.65 per week NI.

Is it ? I last did a tax return some 5 years ago my accountant does it all now. I remember it well though it was 2.65 / week and if you were a fisherman 2.50 / week

jim bean

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2021, 11:15:59 pm »
Profits were below that then so it may have only been class 2 or 4 I dunno not really that fussed to go looking through it expenses still ain’t that high to make a massive difference to what you should be charging per hour which is the point originally made

KS Cleaning

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2021, 11:52:36 pm »
Profits were below that then so it may have only been class 2 or 4 I dunno not really that fussed to go looking through it expenses still ain’t that high to make a massive difference to what you should be charging per hour which is the point originally made
Yes the point was that NWH said £50 per hour after all expenses including tax wasn’t as good as it sounds, to which you replied that out of that £50 your expenses would be about £5. Now you’re telling us you have an accountant too, which is another expense. I reckon you need to have a word with him to get a better understanding of expenses.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2021, 08:27:42 am »
There are one or two on here who have a worrying amount of misunderstanding about what constitutes an expense.

Obviously tax and N. I. are expenses when ever they are paid in the year.

It would be wise to also think about vehicle replacement and depreciation and the fact that you will replace same at some point.

Then making sure that the you have enough for holiday pay, days off and Bank Holidays.

If you don't want to HAVE to work when your state pension age comes round then there is that too.
It's a game of three halves!

deeege

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:24 am »
This is the thing that most simpletons don’t understand someone says they earn 50 notes an hour and they start believing it,add up all you’re fuel-Tax-Nat ins-poles + equipment etc  van payments or van repairs and then subtract that from you’re 50 notes an hour.
Then add days you can’t work due to weather or holidays the list goes on and on,that 50 don’t look great now does it.

Fuel don’t cost much if you work local Nat insurance is like £2 a week , poles last years and years. Vehicles have never cost me much maybe I’m lucky always bought low mileage never had a single problem with any van I’ve ever had writing them off is my only cost
I’ve done the maths and missing the years I’ve had to replace a van I get it around 5% which at £50 an hour is £2.50. If lower it’s less  ;DNot making that much of a dent is it? 
And 40 hours on the glass is easily done I regularly do more than that
You need to redo your maths Jim! Don’t you pay any income tax?

I’d love to know where I can sign up to £2/week national insurance also. Last I checked it was multiple thousands per year.

Without checking I pay class 2 or class 4 which you have to and I’m sure it’s 2.65 or something a week?
Income tax isn’t really a expense it’s paid at the end of the year I don’t factor it as an expense. I can pay it when it’s due as an when as every year, and from what people say they earn on here if they can’t then people are chatting bob

Ok Jim 😂😂
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2021, 10:27:50 am »
Tax is not an expense - it's a levy on your profits

That's not to say you shouldn't be allowing for it in your hourly rate

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

NWH

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2021, 01:27:23 pm »
Everything is an expense if it infringes in what ends up in you’re pocket which is down to a work expense that includes Tax and Nat Ins as well as all the other obvious things,it’s not difficult if someone pays 50 quid into you’re bank the reality is you haven’t gained 50 quid profit for that job have you.
How many times do you hear I think 50-60 notes for that job is fair,how many people realise the profit maybe closer to half that it’s Monday tomorrow so another 80-100 notes will be going into the van on fuel and because my jobs are priced correctly the customers will be paying for it not me.

Dry Clean

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2021, 04:43:22 pm »
Yes the point was that NWH said £50 per hour after all expenses including tax wasn’t as good as it sounds, to which you replied that out of that £50 your expenses would be about £5. Now you’re telling us you have an accountant too, which is another expense. I reckon you need to have a word with him to get a better understanding of expenses.
If he worked a 40 hour week then he would be paying out £200 a week in expenses(tax and NI not included) which seems doable to me, guys like NWH slip up because they don't realise what it costs to clean a property stays the same no matter what you charge to do it.

NWH

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2021, 04:48:41 pm »
Be good if you could explain that one to me saying that I slip up.

Dry Clean

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:09 pm »
Everything is an expense if it infringes in what ends up in you’re pocket which is down to a work expense that includes Tax and Nat Ins as well as all the other obvious things,it’s not difficult if someone pays 50 quid into you’re bank the reality is you haven’t gained 50 quid profit for that job have you.
How many times do you hear I think 50-60 notes for that job is fair,how many people realise the profit maybe closer to half that it’s Monday tomorrow so another 80-100 notes will be going into the van on fuel and because my jobs are priced correctly the customers will be paying for it not me.

If tax and NI were an expense then charging less would save you on that expense, as Smudger said its a levy on your profits.

Dry Clean

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2021, 04:54:25 pm »
Be good if you could explain that one to me saying that I slip up.
Justifying your above average pricing with above average expenses.

NWH

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2021, 05:01:26 pm »
Ahhh it stays the same regardless of what you charge to clean the property oh I see,tomorrow morning I will be putting 100 notes worth of diesel in my van it’s not going to but if it was pour with rain and I was to go off and clean 2-3 poxy little jobs for 10-15 quid a pop and then go home I’d be around 55 quid down on the day after the above expense.
If you have decent work and this happens you should be able to go out the following couple of days cherry pick jobs that cover that lost day over and above expenses,shifting sand or wheat and chaff as Daz says if you have crap paying work it stays just that if you don’t do at least a 1/3rd over what you want after you’ve covered you’re bills and expenses you may as well get a job working for someone because otherwise why bother,yeah we earn a living but as it’s you’re choice try and make it a half decent one eh.

Matt.

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2021, 05:12:20 pm »
All my work is commercial so my hourly rate has been 0 for god knows how many months, back up and running now on about 80% of pre pandemic work so still not hitting the top figures.

Me and my lads have a set amount of work to get through each day, we do this most days but there is a day or so we’re we will miss it but over all it’s ok. We don’t have a set hourly rate that we aim to achieve. We have a monthly target that we aim for instead.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2021, 06:37:51 pm »
If he worked a 40 hour week then he would be paying out £200 a week in expenses(tax and NI not included) which seems doable to me, guys like NWH slip up because they don't realise what it costs to clean a property stays the same no matter what you charge to do it.
Well it seems that we all work out our expenses/deductions differently. Based on £50 per hour I would generally knock off approx 35% of that for all my expenses including tax and NI and I’m a one man band.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2021, 06:44:39 pm »
Ahhh it stays the same regardless of what you charge to clean the property oh I see,tomorrow morning I will be putting 100 notes worth of diesel in my van it’s not going to but if it was pour with rain and I was to go off and clean 2-3 poxy little jobs for 10-15 quid a pop and then go home I’d be around 55 quid down on the day after the above expense.
If you have decent work and this happens you should be able to go out the following couple of days cherry pick jobs that cover that lost day over and above expenses,shifting sand or wheat and chaff as Daz says if you have crap paying work it stays just that if you don’t do at least a 1/3rd over what you want after you’ve covered you’re bills and expenses you may as well get a job working for someone because otherwise why bother,yeah we earn a living but as it’s you’re choice try and make it a half decent one eh.

Just taking your first paragraph, you haven't lost a £100 to fuel unless you drove 500 miles to do those 'piddly' little jobs. You will probably have at least £90 fuel left to use whether or not it gets used in the coming days or weeks.
It's a game of three halves!

NWH

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2021, 07:02:32 pm »
Someone still has to pay for it and if you’re prices are crap you won’t be able to cherry 🍒 pick and make up for it,to and throw back and forth you need to earn over and above what it costs you to live or like I say work for someone.
If you pay someone 150 a day out on his own in a van provided by you that person needs to bring you back 150 for the privilege,what you get 150 a day for nothing some say “wow wee”.
You keep the van  on the road pay the Tax and insurance etc provide water and all equipment all of a sudden after Rishi has his slice you’re 750 is drained,not every week no but on the whole it will be.

Smudger

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2021, 07:05:29 pm »

Just taking your first paragraph, you haven't lost a £100 to fuel unless you drove 500 miles to do those 'piddly' little jobs. You will probably have at least £90 fuel left to use whether or not it gets used in the coming days or weeks.

Well said
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

NWH

« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2021, 08:11:19 pm »
🤣🤣 complete nonsense

Matt.

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2021, 08:17:44 pm »
It’s not nonsense

If u put £100 in the tank and stay local and do £45 worth of work on a Monday u will only have used about £10 of fuel. This fuel can then be used to earn more pennies during the week.
So technically u haven’t lost anything u have invested in diesel for the week to allow u to earn ur pennies.

This forum has gone round the bend

NWH

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2021, 08:30:48 pm »
It’s an expense you’ll have every week I travel to an area away from home so I will use fuel anyway if I get there and can’t work I’ve used the fuel it’s gone,I’m not one of these people that look out the windows turn over and fart drop the kids to school and I’m back to watch Suzanna on good morning Britain,9-10 it’s put in every week someone’s paying and it ain’t gonna be me and I price according to that.
If you want to kid yourself what you actually earn fair play to you.