This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dry Clean

Re: Hourly rate
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2021, 10:50:43 pm »
This has been the problem for years with domestic window cleaning certain cleaners almost freezing prices in some cases for over 10 years.
Why do you care what other shiners are charging ? I earn more than I would doing 12 hour shifts in a well paid factory, add to that flexible hours, the ability to take a holiday at the drop of a hat, very little stress or hassle and its a win win, the fact that I don't measure up to the NWH business model means nothing to me.

Dry Clean

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2021, 10:58:35 pm »
I’m afraid that’s the mentality that a lot of window cleaners have it’s nothing personal  you did a job and that’s what you wanted for it,are you running a business or is it a hobbie-part time gig.
Who’s paying for all these expenses is it you or the customer it’s been said so many times if you take 200 a day that’s not going in you’re pocket is it,if you employ with that attitude it’s doomed before it gets off the ground.

well I don't employ anyone so that's going to affect me is it?  besides, as stated I'm a OAP topping up my pension so I don't need to make a fortune
You probably make a lot more than those who are bragging.

Smudger

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2021, 11:06:50 pm »
Certainly more than NWH - that's why he's so obsessed about the coin he makes

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Stoots

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2021, 11:37:14 pm »
I would say £50 ph in surrey is ok but not great. I can hit that most days up north charging average £12 a house. I would like to think if i was charging £20 a house i would be doing much more than 50 quid an hour.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2021, 11:38:54 pm »
This is the thing that most simpletons don’t understand someone says they earn 50 notes an hour and they start believing it,add up all you’re fuel-Tax-Nat ins-poles + equipment etc  van payments or van repairs and then subtract that from you’re 50 notes an hour.
Then add days you can’t work due to weather or holidays the list goes on and on,that 50 don’t look great now does it.

Fuel don’t cost much if you work local Nat insurance is like £2 a week , poles last years and years. Vehicles have never cost me much maybe I’m lucky always bought low mileage never had a single problem with any van I’ve ever had writing them off is my only cost
I’ve done the maths and missing the years I’ve had to replace a van I get it around 5% which at £50 an hour is £2.50. If lower it’s less  ;DNot making that much of a dent is it? 
And 40 hours on the glass is easily done I regularly do more than that
You need to redo your maths Jim! Don’t you pay any income tax?

deeege

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2021, 06:34:55 am »
This is the thing that most simpletons don’t understand someone says they earn 50 notes an hour and they start believing it,add up all you’re fuel-Tax-Nat ins-poles + equipment etc  van payments or van repairs and then subtract that from you’re 50 notes an hour.
Then add days you can’t work due to weather or holidays the list goes on and on,that 50 don’t look great now does it.

Fuel don’t cost much if you work local Nat insurance is like £2 a week , poles last years and years. Vehicles have never cost me much maybe I’m lucky always bought low mileage never had a single problem with any van I’ve ever had writing them off is my only cost
I’ve done the maths and missing the years I’ve had to replace a van I get it around 5% which at £50 an hour is £2.50. If lower it’s less  ;DNot making that much of a dent is it? 

I’d love to know where I can sign up to £2/week national insurance also. Last I checked it was multiple thousands per year.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

AuRavelling79

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2021, 07:35:45 am »
Simpletons 😀 from you!! Priceless.
I will say it again. EVERYBODY has expenses. Whether you are a shiner, chippy, electrician etc etc. How many sole trader  chippys, plumbers, electricians, roofers etc are on £50 an hour? Not many! For a start you won’t get an hourly rate out of them. They are on fixed price work or day rate. Only very rarely has another trade tried quoting me more than £200 a day. So they don’t get the work. And again they have expenses out of that.
Window cleaning is one of the best paid ‘trades’ around.
So if you are up to the £50 an hour rate for say 5-6 hours a day after travelling between jobs then that’s far from shabby.
Enjoy it. We are very very lucky.
Get the sun on your face and take advantage of the free gym session everyday!

When I joined this forum about 14 years back most on here were on £500 a day, so £50 an hour isn't great money by CIU standards, the willy waving has really went downhill on here.😁

I joined in 2009 and couldn't believe window cleaners could earn £30 for an hours work or earn anywhere near £200 a day......

Of course the real reason was my round was very underpriced and I was still trad.....now them figures would be fairly disappointing 12 years on.....
Who needs a degree when we have window cleaning.😁

The person who wrote decree instead of degree might have the figures wrong too? 🤣

I wrote degree, the link/graph says wage by decree, I'm sure you understand what that means, its funny when you grammar NAZI's mess up.😁

It's sad when you think that my comment about degree/decree was aimed primarily at you. The person that wrote decree was obviously the person that prepared the chart you posted, not you.

However, as you have called me a grammar Nazi, let me play to that accusation... 🤣

1.   It isn't grammar that is wrong it is the spelling which even alters the meaning of the chart. It doesn't raise confidence that the person who prepared the chart has been diligent about the other content it contains.

2.     As pointed out by another poster, your chart is six years out of date.

I'm not sure you understand what that means. If you were a goose-stepping grammar Nazi you might.
It's a game of three halves!

Dry Clean

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2021, 08:20:38 am »
The spelling isn't wrong you just don't understand the meaning of decree and why its in the graph, (the example below may help) plus even though the graph is six years out of date its still able to give a fair comparison, if you want to get picky add on a few percent.

The annual average earnings for benefit calculation ...
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2004-2005/africa/c… · PDF file
The maximum monthly pension is 80% of the insured’s average earnings. Benefit adjustment: Pensions are adjusted by decree periodically. (The pensions were last adjusted in 2005.) Permanent Disability

AuRavelling79

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2021, 01:13:16 pm »
The spelling isn't wrong you just don't understand the meaning of decree and why its in the graph, (the example below may help) plus even though the graph is six years out of date its still able to give a fair comparison, if you want to get picky add on a few percent.

The annual average earnings for benefit calculation ...
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2004-2005/africa/c… · PDF file
The maximum monthly pension is 80% of the insured’s average earnings. Benefit adjustment: Pensions are adjusted by decree periodically. (The pensions were last adjusted in 2005.) Permanent Disability

I am sorry to point out that you are completely wrong.

The graph talks about degrees and earnings that may be achieved. It is a misspelling. Even you referred to degrees.

The second latest example you have linked to (which seems broken) talks about pensions (in Africa) and the fact they are set by decree.

A decree is a declaration of a rule by a governing body or a government, not an illustration of what might be earned by possessor of certain degrees.

It's a game of three halves!

dd

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2021, 04:20:14 pm »
Generally I would never comment on how much I earn (only the wife and the taxman are privy to that)

However today I did a gutter and facia clean and charged the lady £140 as quoted 2 weeks previous,

The job did not take as long as I thought it would, in fact 1 hour 20 mins  later job done, I have to say I did feel a bit guilty when she paid me £140 in cash

Not bad for a OAP
I would not tell the wife if I were you. (Not if she spends money like mine).

Jay Le Huray

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2021, 04:23:59 pm »
Generally I would never comment on how much I earn (only the wife and the taxman are privy to that)

However today I did a gutter and facia clean and charged the lady £140 as quoted 2 weeks previous,

The job did not take as long as I thought it would, in fact 1 hour 20 mins  later job done, I have to say I did feel a bit guilty when she paid me £140 in cash

Not bad for a OAP

It would have been hard to keep it from her DD as she was with me when I did the job, LOL

dd

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2021, 04:29:25 pm »

You will knacker your body over time if that is the case.

For me I don't like to spend more than 6 hours/day on glass.

Also factor in to hourly rate things we don't get paid for such as admin work, filling van, maintaining equipment and production of pure water etc. No paid holidays or sick pay and no employer's pension contribution on our behalf.

dd

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2021, 04:32:19 pm »

Not bad for a OAP

It would have been hard to keep it from her DD as she was with me when I did the job, LOL
Yes, well I suppose half the reason I go to work is to get away from mine.

jim bean

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2021, 05:03:40 pm »

I’d love to know where I can sign up to £2/week national insurance also. Last I checked it was multiple thousands per year.

Without checking I pay class 2 or class 4 which you have to and I’m sure it’s 2.65 or something a week?
Income tax isn’t really a expense it’s paid at the end of the year I don’t factor it as an expense. I can pay it when it’s due as an when as every year, and from what people say they earn on here if they can’t then people are chatting bob

NWH

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2021, 07:24:29 pm »
I spend 3500 a year on fuel at least.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2021, 08:18:26 pm »
I spend 3500 a year on fuel at least.

That's your issue. There will be others who only spend 1000 on business fuel, with no van payments too. You could argue who is the more foolish, the one working to pay his high expenses or the one working less, or the same for more profit?
Step out of your tiny little world Nigel, if I was ever to take any business advice, it most certainly wouldn't be from you pal!!
Some people struggle to come to terms with just being a window cleaner and it shows.... massively

Who cares what anyone else earns? What relevance has it? If I lifted my house and dropped it in London, it would be worth 8x what it is here! That doesn't mean it's worth that where it is now, it's not and it's common sense why not.
This forum is like a school playground, you've either got billy big balls or the spelling police. Geeze, it gets worse🙄
Comfortably Numb!

NWH

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2021, 09:50:09 pm »
Lol I only said what I spend on fuel you fool please stop having fantasies about me 🤣,so much for putting me on ignore you love my posts.

NWH

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2021, 09:53:58 pm »
I’m not bothered about being just a window cleaner I love it.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2021, 10:51:59 pm »

Without checking I pay class 2 or class 4 which you have to and I’m sure it’s 2.65 or something a week?
Income tax isn’t really a expense it’s paid at the end of the year I don’t factor it as an expense. I can pay it when it’s due as an when as every year, and from what people say they earn on here if they can’t then people are chatting bob
Given that you said you work 40 hours per week on the glass and you will be paying class 4, which is paid at 9% on any profit over £9.5k...So it looks like it’s you who’s chatting bob if you say you’re only paying £2.65 per week NI.

jim bean

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2021, 10:54:28 pm »
Quote from: jim bean link=topic=220759.msg2051690#Numsg2051690 date=1619214634

You will knacker your body over time if that is the case.

For me I don't like to spend more than 6 hours/day on glass.

Also factor in to hourly rate things we don't get paid for such as admin work, filling van, maintaining equipment and production of pure water etc. No paid holidays or sick pay and no employer's pension contribution on our behalf.

Possibly so but I will have to for the time being. I can do it all alone as it stands but would like to get probably 15% more work to give my lad 2 or 3 days more work a week and give myself a bit of rest!
Expanding fairly rapidly averaging 8-10 new customers a week