This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Suffolkcleaners

Protective flooring
« on: June 23, 2020, 08:59:50 am »
Hi guys
After  making a decision to get a PF system I’m just working out in my head the preparations for protecting my van floor.

1..... is this that important?
2... PF have advised in the current climate they can’t offer this option.
3.... How much approx and where would I go to get it done?
4.../ Could I get away with not protecting the flooring? Would there be consequences for this?

Thanks in advance

Suffolkcleaners

Re: Protective flooring
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 09:11:13 am »
PF have just advised I could use speedliner but it’s around £600-800.  Would I be crazy to not protect the flooring?

Pete Thompson

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:13:41 am »
Well worth it in my opinion.

I got Line-X flooring in my van and it really has been good, hard-wearing protection.

Ionic did it when I got my system installed, but there are places all over the UK that do it:

https://linex.com/find-a-location

The cost depends on the size of your van, mine (Toyota Proace) cost about £600. Previously I had a smaller van (VW Caddy) which cost £450.

It will easily pay for itself when it comes time to sell your van and the interior is still perfect. (That’s what I found with the Caddy).

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 09:21:58 am »
That’s fantastic Pete. Cheers. The nearest one to Suffolk is Norwich so not too bad. Will give them a shout 👍

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 09:42:10 am »
It all depends. If you have a leak free set up and look after your stuff then it's overkill imo. A heavy duty rubber matt cut to the footprint of your van floor is sufficient to protect against scrapes  if it's already in good nick. If ptotecting the investment of your van and its re sale value is of high importance then a professional speedliner is going to be more worthwhile if you are likely to get the floor regularly wet or carry a lot of equipment and take less care. Avoid protectakote, whilst it looks good to begin with, it's a messy smelly job even for those with a DIY inclination and will eventually lift and chip and de value re sale of your van - good in an old beat up van, less good in something half decent.

Personally I'd not bother for now, I'd just remove any ply from floor and lay down heavy duty rubber matting. A PF system or any equivalent should have quality leak free connections. With care for your equipment it should be sufficient.

But, if you have the budget for £600 + your new set up and want to do nothing yourself or at a later date then its probably worth it. Your choice.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 09:54:06 am »
Thanks Big Kahuna. Would certainly save some money if I didn’t have to pay all that. I haven’t protected my flooring up to now and it’s fine although I’m just using a backpack and loads of barrels. Loads of times the barrels have tipped over and I’ve had to let the water spill out the side door.

I guess what is the difference with a van mount? Or am I missing something?

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 09:56:01 am »
If anything perhaps I will actually get the floor Less  wet with a proper system rather than 25 kg drums tipping over when I turn a corner too fast.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 10:06:47 am »
Thanks Big Kahuna. Would certainly save some money if I didn’t have to pay all that. I haven’t protected my flooring up to now and it’s fine although I’m just using a backpack and loads of barrels. Loads of times the barrels have tipped over and I’ve had to let the water spill out the side door.

I guess what is the difference with a van mount? Or am I missing something?
I'd thought the same. I wouldn't expect a van mount to be any more damaging to the condition of your vans floor than what you've been doing up til now, maybe even less so. At the very least though some rubber matt under the tank before it's bolted down is worthwhile. That's where dirt and grit will get trapped and could mark the floor, same goes for hose reel if you have it bolted down. A spill here or there on a good condition van floor is not going to be detrimental. Prolonged leaks or neglect is a another issue.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 10:17:32 am »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JVL-Rondo-Rubber-Outdoor-Contract/dp/B00JPCUTUU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1
Rubber matting like the above link is good for under tanks, reels etc. because it still allows for any water spill to dry out rather than sit and cause corrosion.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 10:18:05 am »
Cool. Prob saved me about £800 there. Thanks for advice Kahuna 👍

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 10:19:22 am »
I have all our vans done with soeedliner , it’s very good hard wearing impervious to chemicals and will seal any joints in the floor to stop water ingress , cost me around £700 for Renault master medium wheel base ,

KS Cleaning

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 10:21:36 am »
Don’t you have a Transit Custom? I take it you have a base  or trend model?  as the limited and sport models come fitted with plastic load liner. The system can be fitted directly on top of the load liner. These liners come up for sale on eBay or Ford forums, I’ve seen them offered free on the custom owners group, it might be worth looking for one? You would then need to put a rubber mat on top of whatever is left showing of the liner after the frame is bolted in as the liner is quite slippy.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 10:25:50 am »
Hi KS. I have the Transit custom sport model. Does that make a difference? Cheers

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2020, 10:56:37 am »
Ps just checked and mine does have a plastic type lining. Excellent. So mats should do then?

Splash & dash

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2020, 11:25:49 am »
Ps just checked and mine does have a plastic type lining. Excellent. So mats should do then?

Problem with mats is no matter how careful you are you will get spillages once it gets under a mat it will never dry out pour a cup full of water on the floor and see how far it will spread , £600-800  is not a lot of money when you have just spent over 30k on a van

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 11:53:16 am »
Was only 15 k as I bought the van 3 years old but I see your point as well. Need to work our what’s best. Cheers

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 12:19:27 pm »
I have a van with x-line ( same thing as sped liner ) done in Norwich a few years back -  makes a very nice difference to the van and as its pressure washing van there is always water about

the wfp vans I decided to protetorcote - this is about £90 for a can and a day of your time - so far this has also held up very well

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 12:30:23 pm »
Cheers Smudger

Was trying to get a quote from the company Pete originally gave me details of and they want to know the exact dimensions and how much I want lined including wheel arches etc? Help......

Wanted me to come to Norwich but I’m 60 miles away so said I would send some pictures with the amount I wanted lined.

TBH this whole changing over to a new system is starting to do my head in. I might just stick with the backpack!!

Smudger

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 12:42:55 pm »
No, defo change over - yes its upheaval but look at it as an adventure !

your working world will be amazingly better when you have a van mount

dimensions should be easy to find by google search - I had the floor + arches done ( no sides )

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:15 pm »
Thanks Darran. You’re right. It’s certainly an adventure 😂