This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

STEVE-UK

Mercedes Vito
« on: December 15, 2019, 09:20:41 am »
Im looking to purchase a new van

Im considering pre registered RWD Mercedes Vito 2.1, auto

Anyone have one, would you recommend for window cleaning?

NWH

Re: Mercedes Vito
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 12:59:02 pm »
Those Merc vans when loaded with water look awful you need to get one that has had uprated suspension,I did this on my Transporter I got them to fit uprated springs.
When it’s full of water now you’d never know it sits flat and level with the new springs.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 02:44:39 pm »
@ NWH

Ok that's good to  know,  I'm looking at the rear wheel drive with 1250kg + payload, will get one on test and pop a tank in the back

NWH

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 03:32:43 pm »
Worth trying it they seem to drop more than other vans I’ve seen.

windowswashed

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 07:12:38 pm »
I use a Vito, no problems with it at all. I went from a LWB T30 to a short wheel base Vito (rear wheel drive version) 2.2 engine with 135ps. Turning circle obviously better,  drives like a car, went for a 639 as don't like the new version. Parts are cheaper, more reliable engine, prices don't hold as well as transporter but can pick them up cheaper, better offers around. Gearbox isn't as smooth as transporter was but overall very impressed with it. Seats are very comfortable on long journeys unlike many vans nowadays that are so uncomfortable after a short journey.

a900

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 07:33:45 pm »
I too have a w639 and although it’s not the newer one they must be similar.

Mines on 236000 miles. Yep that’s right and it’s still solid. Great around town. Payload is 930kg is and it handles it fine. Just a bit slower. Literally the only difference. Suspension handles the weight fine.
I have to disagree about it being comfortable on long journeys. Comparing it to the car. E class it’s like sitting on a moving park bench. Don’t get me wrong it’s not bad for a van. Round town the auto is perfect and makes all the stop start in our job easier.

Windows washed is yours an auto? My autos pretty smooth don’t really feel changes usually.

Rear wheel drive is great for turning circle. Which again is handy in our job

One other thing is I’ve got a tailgate. When I brought it I wasn’t sure. Thinking it would be a pain but it’s so handy to hide out of rain showers. So would defo recommend.

Dean champion

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 01:26:25 pm »
Great van for a 1 man setup  but struggles as a 2 man van due to low payload,I have actually viewed  one today(compact 2.1 113cdi) as I’m looking to employ spring next year.
a900 do you carry roofrack/ladders and if so does it interfere with the tail gate ?
Do you find clearance tight for the tailgate when another vehicle is close to the rear ?

Thanks Dean

a900

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 06:24:50 pm »
Great van for a 1 man setup  but struggles as a 2 man van due to low payload,I have actually viewed  one today(compact 2.1 113cdi) as I’m looking to employ spring next year.
a900 do you carry roofrack/ladders and if so does it interfere with the tail gate ?
Do you find clearance tight for the tailgate when another vehicle is close to the rear ?

Thanks Dean

The latest vito can take upto 1.2t.  I would say that’s enough for 2 man. I’m around the payload limit of 930kg at the start of the day. Handles it fine.

Yeah carry ladders. The lighter doubles I just pop on the side. The heavy triples for gutter work I slide up the roller on the back with the tailgate closed. So becomes the first and last thing you do on a job.

Clearance is occasionally an issue on the tightest of parallel parking spaces. But those spaces are no fun feeling hose in and out of anyway whether you have a  tailgate or barn doors. Guess you get used to what you got. Somewhere to hide out the rain without making the cab all wet is defo useful. Easier to convince yourself  back to work too when you’ve not got back in the cab with the radio.

Double sliding doors are handy 2. Ive got the back. My helper has his side and I’ve got the filling side.

windowswashed

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 10:26:49 pm »
My payload allows 1130 or 1150kg, nearly the same as the Transporter. I got a manual dualiner, took the rear seats out and fitted a rear window myself. Got a tailgate. Seats are almost as comfy as my Bmw F30 but they don't cradle  me in the seats like the car does obviously. Mines got 78k on the clock and fully serviced every year like clockwork.

DavePBS

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »
I had the 2.2 639 LWB.  Great van ,Had 500 litre tank, jetwasher, gutter vac etc in the back & pulled like a horse. Comfy, great turning circle. No rust issues from `07 onwards models. Diagnostics can be a bit scetchy as Merc write some of their own fault codes an can only be read by a main dealer Star machine.

STEVE-UK

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 06:20:05 pm »
The feedback sounds good chaps