This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

hank jr

How to clean out this gutter and cutcout gutter hedgehog?
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:51:54 pm »

If you look above the conservatory there's a length of gutter. The customer has gutter hedgehog installed with plastic zip ties holding it in place.

He wants me to cut the zip ties, remove the gutter hedgehog.

Any ideas how it can be done? The people who installed the gutter hedgehog were roofers and walked on that small roof to install it.

I'm not doing that, its too dangerous....

The aerial picture shows the conservatory at the back towards the right.

Shrek

Re: How to clean out this gutter and cutcout gutter hedgehog?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:55:18 pm »
What roof tiles are they? Are they slate or concrete ?

If they’re slate , don’t bother walking on them , it’ll be like walking on crisps , you’ll be cracking ALOT of them.

Sometimes you’ve just got to know when to walk a way - you can’t cut the zip ties unless you get up there

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:04:17 pm »

If you look above the conservatory there's a length of gutter. The customer has gutter hedgehog installed with plastic zip ties holding it in place.

He wants me to cut the zip ties, remove the gutter hedgehog.

Any ideas how it can be done? The people who installed the gutter hedgehog were roofers and walked on that small roof to install it.

I'm not doing that, its too dangerous....

The aerial picture shows the conservatory at the back towards the right.

Its a job for a roofer using scaffolding or a couple of roof ladders. I agree with Shrek; some jobs you just have to walk away from.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

hank jr

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:10 am »
What roof tiles are they? Are they slate or concrete ?

If they’re slate , don’t bother walking on them , it’ll be like walking on crisps , you’ll be cracking ALOT of them.

Sometimes you’ve just got to know when to walk a way - you can’t cut the zip ties unless you get up there

Yup I agree with you about walking away. Not worth the hassle this one I dont think.

Its a slate roof by the way.

The whole job includes cleaning all windows, all gutters. Its just that 1 piece of gutter thats the problem....and I aint walking on it. The homeowner suggested I use a cat ladder (which I dont have because im not a roofer).

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 10:09:14 am »
If it’s just a small number of cable ties can you cut them with a scraper on a pole and then hoof the hedgehog out ??

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 11:34:16 am »
More cool the customer for putting it in the gutter

Cherry picker or walk away

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:51:58 pm »
I'd just agree to cleaning all other gutters and windows and just say you're not able to remove it. Take or leave it. It's not your issue, you're not a roofer. Why do they want it removed ?.... surely the point of it is to keep the gutter clean from debris anyhow.

Elfyn

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:53:15 pm »
There are a lot of these b****dy things in this area and the home owner has paid through the nose for them (they were being promoted through agricultural show etc a few years ago). Of course I'm the "baddie" when I tell them they need to be removed and thrown away. If they can't live with that I just walk away with a clear concience.

hank jr

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »
I'd just agree to cleaning all other gutters and windows and just say you're not able to remove it. Take or leave it. It's not your issue, you're not a roofer. Why do they want it removed ?.... surely the point of it is to keep the gutter clean from debris anyhow.

I asked that question myself. The reason is the gutters are quite shallow and the gutter hedgehog is hanging out the gutters and it looks an eyesore. The other reason is the gutter hedgehog doesn't stop all the mud, leaves and debris in the gutters. He said its a waste of time having it installed.

hank jr

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 06:17:28 pm »
If it’s just a small number of cable ties can you cut them with a scraper on a pole and then hoof the hedgehog out ??

I thought of this as well. Using a blade taped to an extendable pole and try and cut the zip ties. If it doesn't work I've wasted my time....

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:02 pm »

I thought of this as well. Using a blade taped to an extendable pole and try and cut the zip ties. If it doesn't work I've wasted my time....

....and you might knock half the gutter off then have to fix it  :-\

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 07:30:14 pm »
Hi

Can you walk along the conservatory, doesn't looks like the gutter is only 6ft above the conservatory.

Alex

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 07:33:53 pm »

I asked that question myself. The reason is the gutters are quite shallow and the gutter hedgehog is hanging out the gutters and it looks an eyesore. The other reason is the gutter hedgehog doesn't stop all the mud, leaves and debris in the gutters. He said its a waste of time having it installed.
Well thats his costly mistake Hank.
That looks like a really nice house and worth a few bob. no disrepect to you as a window cleaner ( or any of us  :D). He really should be asking the roofers or a gutter installation company ( those with the right equipment ) to sort it and not his window cleaner. He must be able to afford to get it removed properly and safely.

JandS

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 07:38:47 pm »
If you can reach it from connie roof couple of cut off scaffold battens on connie roof....but I would leave well alone.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 07:15:26 am »
Can you not reach out the window and cut the ties?  Then pull out the hedgehogs.

How much is he willing to pay?  Anything is possible if the money is right
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 07:17:25 am »
Or use a long reach branch cutter out of the window, or gaffer tape a knife onto a pole and cut them
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 07:29:50 am »
dont walk on it theres no wooden struts (no 6" joyce)
supporting it, its a cheap! roof, ya might need drain rods a tiny foot on the divider and one hand holding the windows as you go from inside carefully, easy job mate

hank jr

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 04:01:27 pm »
Hi

Can you walk along the conservatory, doesn't looks like the gutter is only 6ft above the conservatory.

Alex

I dont fancy walking on a conny roof. I know some people do, but if something went wrong imagine the damage!

hank jr

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 04:03:50 pm »

Well thats his costly mistake Hank.
That looks like a really nice house and worth a few bob. no disrepect to you as a window cleaner ( or any of us  :D). He really should be asking the roofers or a gutter installation company ( those with the right equipment ) to sort it and not his window cleaner. He must be able to afford to get it removed properly and safely.

I agree with you, he's not short of a few bob. The guys a millionaire.  I've never cleaned his windows before, he contacted me through my website. 

hank jr

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 04:14:49 pm »
dont walk on it theres no wooden struts (no 6" joyce)
supporting it, its a cheap! roof, ya might need drain rods a tiny foot on the divider and one hand holding the windows as you go from inside carefully, easy job mate

Sorry, I dont understand this answer very well...could you explain further? I understand not to stand on the roof, its a cheap roof.

The rest of your answer....do you mean get out the window and take it out?