Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stuartb

What temp for immersion heater?
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:52:29 pm »
What temp do you guys set your immersion heaters for? I don’t want my tank going wobbly in the heat!

֍Winp®oClean֍

Re: What temp for immersion heater?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:02:17 am »
Mine's turned to Max and operated via a timer. 500ltr tank filled with cold water will need approx. 6 to 8 hours with a 3KW element. Less time when you top the tank up and it still has warm water from previous day.

Is your element 2 or 3KW?
Comfortably Numb!

stuartb

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:14:42 am »
Mines 2kw. Do you know what temp your immersion is meant to heat too?

stuartb

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:16:39 am »
Does it effect your plastic tank at all?

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 08:22:48 am »

Yes it melts them and distorts them...I've had 5 tanks in 5 years.....I replace my tank every year at the same time I buy a new everyday pole...
price higher/work harder!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:23:37 am »
Mines 2kw. Do you know what temp your immersion is meant to heat too?

As I'm not attempting to reach "HOT" gas/diesel burner temperatures I aim for somewhere in the mid thirties to forty celsius. This gives me tepid water at the brush. The hoses feel slightly warm to the touch. 
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 08:24:20 am »

Yes it melts them and distorts them...I've had 5 tanks in 5 years.....I replace my tank every year at the same time I buy a new everyday pole...

At the same time he changes his sarcastic underpants.  ;D
It's a game of three halves!

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:26:40 am »

My tank as you know is insulated and this helps to hold the heat.
My tank as far as im aware is ok. Its a wydale 500 upright
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

stuartb

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 08:47:56 am »
Just been out to check the water temp and it’s just like warm. I plugged a little radiator into the power socket in the van and no power! The little button on the power reel socket had tripped...damm it! Does that mean it just got too hot or something? Electrics aren’t my strong point 😳

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 09:20:09 am »
Just been out to check the water temp and it’s just like warm. I plugged a little radiator into the power socket in the van and no power! The little button on the power reel socket had tripped...damm it! Does that mean it just got too hot or something? Electrics aren’t my strong point 😳

You need to do it properly and safely.  Have a 16amp line and breaker fitted with a timer from the main consumer unit, then fit a 3kw element. I can't comment on 2kw units plugged into 13amp sockets!!
Comfortably Numb!

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 09:37:11 am »

I was wondering if this would be the next post. Its worrying that you would rush into this without doing all the necessary research with regard to your power supply and extension lead.
There has been numerous posts over the years with regard to how to do this correctly.

Thankfully that little red button saved you. You could have down some major damage and even set something on fire.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 10:24:59 am »
A 2kw ellement can be wired with a 13 amp plug and plugged into the house mains, any electrician would tell you that (i had 2 tell me the same info).

However close to 3kw and over then you need to sort your electrics out.

I wired the heater with arctic cable and used a heavy duty 13amp plug.   Outside socket and ran a heavy duty 13amp extension to mine.

The issue here maybe plugging the seperate radiator on the same extension as the element.   
If your tank is insulated and you run the elememt long enough, it will keep the back of your can toastie to keep the frost off. So there is no need for the radiator going in as well
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 11:28:35 am »
A 2kw ellement can be wired with a 13 amp plug and plugged into the house mains, any electrician would tell you that (i had 2 tell me the same info).

I wired the heater with arctic cable and used a heavy duty 13amp plug.   Outside socket and ran a heavy duty 13amp extension to mine.

The issue here maybe plugging the seperate radiator on the same extension as the element.   
If your tank is insulated and you run the elememt long enough, it will keep the back of your can toastie to keep the frost off. So there is no need for the radiator going in as well

What electrician told you that ? wont go into to much detail but what you run from any 13amp socket in your home will depend on how old your electrics are and what else you will be running from your plug socket mains ring which at best will have an 32amp total allowance for your whole house, when it comes to running an appliance with a 2kw draw for long periods of time any electrician worth their salt would suggest you take it from a separate circuit.

Dave Willis

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 01:01:13 pm »
Don’t forget to fully unwind any extension leads too.

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:34 pm »
Propane sounds safer to me !
I would rather my van blow up than my house burn down  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 05:56:18 pm »

What electrician told you that ? wont go into to much detail but what you run from any 13amp socket in your home will depend on how old your electrics are and what else you will be running from your plug socket mains ring which at best will have an 32amp total allowance for your whole house, when it comes to running an appliance with a 2kw draw for long periods of time any electrician worth their salt would suggest you take it from a separate circuit.

So to clarify,  if i went out and bought lets say an additional plug in radiator.  Would i need to have a separate circuit in the house to plug these in as well?   Most of them are 2kw
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 06:06:20 pm »
Most little fan heaters are 2 kw so a 2kw immersion must be ok with a suitable extension lead .
I run a 2kw fan heater in my Connie for hours on end with no problem
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Dry Clean

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 06:07:04 pm »

So to clarify,  if i went out and bought lets say an additional plug in radiator.  Would i need to have a separate circuit in the house to plug these in as well?   Most of them are 2kw
No a plug in radiator wont have a continuous 2kw draw which is why you can even get 3kw plug in radiators that will run safely on 13amp household sockets.

windowswashed

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »
13Amp extension sockets have a maximum of 3150 watts fully unwound,........wound uo the maximum safe level is 720 watts, worth bearing in mind.
Best using 16Amp wiring, shortest length possible required connected to a separate circuit breaker trip switch.