Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

Luck has possibly ran dry
« on: October 31, 2019, 01:52:22 pm »
So Tuesday, had the van checked over and new full exhaust (3 parts) fitted, rather than trying to drain all the oil from it etc.
After that, she ran smoothly and again yesterday worked well.  A cold start for the engine but after a couple of turns, she fired up and all was good.

Todays a different story and doesnt like the cold engine start at all.  I drained my battery trying and even tried pushing the van in to a sun spot to get some morning heat to her and still nothing.

The AA expected time of arrival keeps getting pushed back as well.  Im hoping they can fire it up and confirm if its just the glow plugs or something more serious.  Will see, fingers crossed its just a dislike to the cold after I wasted £300 on repairs the other day due to human error 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

Re: Luck has possibly ran dry
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 02:10:29 pm »
Yep glow plugs. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

carl stanton

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 02:49:42 pm »
Sorry to hear about the problem. I guess out if a bad situation it’s not a heavy problem or to costly to sort out.

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 02:49:49 pm »
We must be the luckiest chaps on here Nath
I got an SLX 35 few weeks ago to make my life easier , less on the back so to speak , then I put my back out on Monday whilst putting my boots on !
And today took my Touran for the MOT , during the emissions test the motor was held at about 3000 RPM at which point the piston rings decided enough was enough , blue stinky smoke filled the garage and it also took out the 8K emissions machine .....OOPS  :o
Lucky I know them so they didn’t charge me for the MOT or machine
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Don Kee

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:40:31 pm »
Luck??
Luck has nothing to do with putting 2/3 lites of oil in your engine without checking whether it’s too much or not...
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

P @ F

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:07:32 pm »
Well at least you won’t run dry of oil Nath , you got plenty of that  ;D

I have not had much luck tracking down a 1.9TDI Touran today to replace the fried 1.6FSI , they are silly money down here !
Just had a stroke of luck on the way home though , new arrival at less than all the others I’ve seen , right colour too ! ( picky cow )  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 04:14:01 pm »
FOR SALE  £100  no offers

LOVELY FOR YEAR , WELDED UP PISTON RINGS , FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY. 

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 04:21:31 pm »
You should team up with Dazmond, if the pair of you meet in the middle you should just about get the correct oil level!! :-))
Comfortably Numb!

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 04:29:06 pm »
Luck??
Luck has nothing to do with putting 2/3 lites of oil in your engine without checking whether it’s too much or not...

Nope,  thats been covered mate!  Luck is the fact that it didnt cause loads of damage!!
However, the van is back in the garage after not working today and is being repaired in the morning, however thankfully again a small job and nothing major.
After this the van should be good for another run of years.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »
How many miles have you clocked up on your van Nathan?

p1w1

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 05:05:34 pm »
You should team up with Dazmond, if the pair of you meet in the middle you should just about get the correct oil level!! :-))
;D

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:51:10 pm »

Its got just over 177k on it
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 06:18:38 pm »

Might be worth thinking about lining up a new van then? Saves the concern of the engine going bust and being out of work for a while.

Have you thought about selling it (while it’s worth a few 100 quid) and buying a newer van for the long game?

Then again, if it’s not worth much, I suppose you could run it into the ground, but that means more money on keeping it running?

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 04:09:32 pm »

Might be worth thinking about lining up a new van then? Saves the concern of the engine going bust and being out of work for a while.

Have you thought about selling it (while it’s worth a few 100 quid) and buying a newer van for the long game?

Then again, if it’s not worth much, I suppose you could run it into the ground, but that means more money on keeping it running?

The engine is virtually sound tho and its not with turbo and so ive been told by two seperate garages that the engine is goof for over 300k.
However!
It went in last night to sort the glow plugs today and I was expecting to be back at work by late morning / lunch time.  Come dinner time I get a call from the garage, not to say all is done and come to collect 😟  they run the engine for an hr n half to supposedly help make glow plugs slightly easier to come loose.   Yet in my case, the noticed a considerable oil spill under the van which they are now investigating.   Im a little dubious as i went and asked if hes checked oil level as he drained off when he did the exhaust.  On dip stick its only dipped a little, so its prob in over the wknd now as they close at 5 and its 4.10pm and i havent heard anything which means its gonna be a pricey fix.

At this rate, it should pass its next two MOT's lol (a silver lining perhaps)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »
Hopefully you haven't blown all the seals by overfilling it. Crankshaft oil seal etc.

Slacky

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »

The engine is virtually sound tho and its not with turbo and so ive been told by two seperate garages that the engine is goof for over 300k.
However!
It went in last night to sort the glow plugs today and I was expecting to be back at work by late morning / lunch time.  Come dinner time I get a call from the garage, not to say all is done and come to collect 😟  they run the engine for an hr n half to supposedly help make glow plugs slightly easier to come loose.   Yet in my case, the noticed a considerable oil spill under the van which they are now investigating.   Im a little dubious as i went and asked if hes checked oil level as he drained off when he did the exhaust.  On dip stick its only dipped a little, so its prob in over the wknd now as they close at 5 and its 4.10pm and i havent heard anything which means its gonna be a pricey fix.

At this rate, it should pass its next two MOT's lol (a silver lining perhaps)

I presume you mentioned to the garage your antics earlier this week with the van, particularly considering you grossly over-filled it with oil?

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:21 pm »
time to get a new van....and get it properly sign written this time nathan!there comes a time when you gotta cut your losses with an old vehicle like yours mate..........
price higher/work harder!

zesty

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 04:54:50 pm »
Still might be time to move that van on Nathan, seems like potential lasting damage may have be done. They might fix it, but for how long...

You can pick up transit connects for a few grand now. Maybe 5-6 years old.

Just thinking of the long game.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 05:15:49 pm »
You can still have bad luck with new/newer vans. Just look at K S Cleaning's post. Just saying.

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 06:24:32 pm »
Its the same garage which ive used for a very long time Matt, the same one that did the exhaust n drained the oil because of that silly mistake.

However ive hit a crossroads now withbthe van and the garage.
Where the leak is from, is where the gasket normally sits, its some type of sealant and about an inch in length is missing. So it needs to be stripped n cleaned to be repaired. With doing this they might as well do the water pump, cam belt etc etc at the same time. Fair enough I thought and then the engine should be good till it dies. Perhaps lasting another 2 yrs or so, which suits my original plans.   
However they are talking the likes of 9 hrs labour, just short of £600 and reading from various forums im taking this as being over the tops.  That it should come around 5hrs or less.  It sounds like they want to  charge labour as in seperate independent jobs ie labour for a water pump replacement on top of labour for a cam belt replace.  So im having doubts about the garage now as well

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk