Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Loss of earnings?
« on: July 19, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »
I am currently in dispute with an insurance company over loss of earnings regarding a recent minor accident.
I’ve had this before where they simply divide your annual income by 52 to find your weekly pay. Unpaid leave doesn’t seem to enter the equation. Then they knock off tax at 20% and deduct 10% for NI contributions.
Robbing barstewards.

I’ve had this before - never offer to go to court, they apply the same trick.

Crystal-clear

Re: Loss of earnings?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:05:52 pm »
I am currently in dispute with an insurance company over loss of earnings regarding a recent minor accident.
I’ve had this before where they simply divide your annual income by 52 to find your weekly pay. Unpaid leave doesn’t seem to enter the equation. Then they knock off tax at 20% and deduct 10% for NI contributions.
Robbing barstewards.

I’ve had this before - never offer to go to court, they apply the same trick.
I don't understand how they can handle your tax affairs which are unique to your personal circumstances?

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »
how else would they determine what to pay other than what youve declared?

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 03:17:18 pm »
Kinda makes sense doesn’t it  ???

Divide annual salary by 52 - are you saying you could’ve done 2 weeks work in one week or something? Not sure what the issue is

Dave Willis

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 03:32:57 pm »
What I’m getting at is our weekly rate shouldn’t be calculated on 52 working weeks more like 46 per year as being self employed we won’t work and earn for 52 weeks of the year.
Makes no difference to employed people their holidays are paid.
Also if they are deducting 20% tax, who gets it?

Might be just me I suppose.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:00:01 pm »
not 100% sure how mine was worked out over 2years none or little work

i let them sort it out

Ooooooog

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 09:12:29 am »
What I’m getting at is our weekly rate shouldn’t be calculated on 52 working weeks more like 46 per year as being self employed we won’t work and earn for 52 weeks of the year.

HMRC I guess?

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 09:24:44 am »

Still not sure I get It.

Surely they base it on what youve earned in a year and divide by 52 to get the weekly ?

Say you turn over 40k what relevance is it that you have worked 52 week, 46 or 20?

They are just calculating the weekly average how else can they do it?

With regards the tax are they calculating the weekly on your gross or net profit?

If on the gross then again what wouldn't you expect to pay 20% tax on it

Dry Clean

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 09:27:54 am »

Still not sure I get It.

Surely they base it on what youve earned in a year and divide by 52 to get the weekly ?

Say you turn over 40k what relevance is it that you have worked 52 week, 46 or 20?

They are just calculating the weekly average how else can they do it?

With regards the tax are they calculating the weekly on your gross or net profit?

If on the gross then again what wouldn't you expect to pay 20% tax on it

The tax is a get out of paying scam as you will still have to pay tax  and NI on the money they give you.

Dave Willis

Re: Loss of earnings? New
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 12:56:48 pm »
Exactly, and £40,000 divided by 46 is better than £40,000 divided by 52

How can an insurance company deduct tax and NI? Do they hand that to the tax man?
By coincidence the woman who hit my van has the same insurance company as my car which is due for renewal. Thought I’b better own up to having had an accident even though my van is with another insurance company (totally her fault).
“Thank you Sir, that will be another £100 we will be adding to your premium” wtf?