This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shrek

Re: Dear customer due to the....
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »
What happens if you’ve started a job in drizzle then it turns into heavy rain before you’ve finished?
You gonna sit in the van for a couple of hours

NWH

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:33 pm »
It makes no difference to me Nathan I am cleaning big houses if you clean a 15 quid house and you take a chance in the pouring rain who cares if you lose it,if I go out and try to take the pee and turn up in torrential rain and lose or pee off a house worth 10x that it would grate on me m8.
If I get rained off a whole day and it’s rare for that to be a whole day let’s face it,I’ll cheery pick the next couple of days to more than make up for it,the odd day off won’t hurt you,losing 80 quid + houses would sting it’s a case of using you’re head like I say small houses go for it.

NWH

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 02:05:24 pm »
If it’s been raining or the forecast later that day is rain I’ll still clean but I wouldn’t turn up in the rain,I would park up and give it a chance to clear first at least,IMO turning up in the rain looks bad only my opinion.
As said depends on the work commercial is a different matter in a lot of cases but not all. 

John Mart

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 02:28:05 pm »
I never work in the pouring rain unless it’s a wash down or gutters,depends what they are paying if they are small jobs then fair enough but I wouldn’t want to upset or make it look like I’m taking the pee out of em when it’s lashing down,you can say it makes no difference all you like if it’s there opinion you are taking the pee then that’s all that matters they are paying.
I say to them I work if it’s drizzling but I say won’t turn up in the rain if it’s stairods,you have to use you’re loaf when they are paying good money.

I agree, my customers pay from £7 to £90 to have their house cleaned, wouldn't want to clean in driving rain for my million pound houses to have dirty windows the following day, I'd soon lose custom that way
If they are £5 council houses that's a different kettle of fish
You might lose the odd customer, but the financial benefit of working through outweighs any financial loss.

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 03:15:30 pm »
i reckon i lost a £40 job last year due to me turning up when it was bouncing down......she was quite a fussy customer but always paid up on the day....oh well.....it doesnt stop me window cleaning when its raining though.....

like 8 weekly said.....losing the odd job is nowhere near as bad financially as sacking the day off because of rain....

theres always another new job/customer just around the corner anyway......
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 04:35:04 pm »
It makes no difference to me I can make up for it by joining in very good jobs to cover a lost day here and there,just because you work in the rain don’t confuse the fact that people don’t mind in reality they are tolerating it if truth be told.
You are working in the rain due to the fact you employ staff so you are having to work in the rain,anyone worth their salt that’s done this job long enough can take the odd hit with a day off due to rain,the question is do people mind you cleaning their windows in the rain,99% I would say do mind but tolerate it every now and again regardless of you standing there explaining it makes no odds to the glass staying clean,if someone was cleaning my windows with it coming down in bucket loads of rain I’d mind.

John Mart

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 04:43:22 pm »
It makes no difference to me I can make up for it by joining in very good jobs to cover a lost day here and there,just because you work in the rain don’t confuse the fact that people don’t mind in reality they are tolerating it if truth be told.
You are working in the rain due to the fact you employ staff so you are having to work in the rain,anyone worth their salt that’s done this job long enough can take the odd hit with a day off due to rain,the question is do people mind you cleaning their windows in the rain,99% I would say do mind but tolerate it every now and again regardless of you standing there explaining it makes no odds to the glass staying clean,if someone was cleaning my windows with it coming down in bucket loads of rain I’d mind.
Sounds very scientific.

NWH

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2019, 04:46:30 pm »
I had a patio laid a few years ago the blokes came to lay Indian sandstone when it was -2-3,I told them you’re not laying them today they said we’ve got to work I said not in these temperatures thanks when it goes off there will be cracks galore.
We all know that it takes the pee working in the rain but some still do because they have to for financial reasons although that doesn’t make it ok,I’m not talking showers here I’m talking proper prolonged rain that’s in for the day so to speak

Clean Cloth

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2019, 04:58:43 pm »
I prefer to carry on working in the rain but do admit the quality drops due to the cloths getting saturated on just cleaning one window frame and sill.
I had one customer left yesterday and it started to rain, I nearly went home but decided to carry on, it was raining hard and the customer was in, she paid and seemed more concerned about me getting wet.

John Mart

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2019, 05:16:38 pm »
I had a patio laid a few years ago the blokes came to lay Indian sandstone when it was -2-3,I told them you’re not laying them today they said we’ve got to work I said not in these temperatures thanks when it goes off there will be cracks galore.
We all know that it takes the pee working in the rain but some still do because they have to for financial reasons although that doesn’t make it ok,I’m not talking showers here I’m talking proper prolonged rain that’s in for the day so to speak
That’s different and not comparable. Should a postie stop because he’ll get the birthday cards wet?

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 05:39:17 pm »
It makes no difference to me Nathan I am cleaning big houses if you clean a 15 quid house and you take a chance in the pouring rain who cares if you lose it,if I go out and try to take the pee and turn up in torrential rain and lose or pee off a house worth 10x that it would grate on me m8.
If I get rained off a whole day and it’s rare for that to be a whole day let’s face it,I’ll cheery pick the next couple of days to more than make up for it,the odd day off won’t hurt you,losing 80 quid + houses would sting it’s a case of using you’re head like I say small houses go for it.

I understand what you are saying.
I just take the stance that working in the rain makes no difference to the clean than it raining five minutes later on a house youve just cleaned! Therefore if you work in the rain, you work in the rain regardless of the house your cleaning.
If you dont work in torrential  rain innone area then dont in another.  I  dont understand why you say its taking the P's to turn up and work.
If you educate your customers big n smal as to why you are working in the rain it makes no difference does it. They will also appreciate you have a job to do. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 05:41:52 pm »
I never work in the pouring rain unless it’s a wash down or gutters,depends what they are paying if they are small jobs then fair enough but I wouldn’t want to upset or make it look like I’m taking the pee out of em when it’s lashing down,you can say it makes no difference all you like if it’s there opinion you are taking the pee then that’s all that matters they are paying.
I say to them I work if it’s drizzling but I say won’t turn up in the rain if it’s stairods,you have to use you’re loaf when they are paying good money.

I agree, my customers pay from £7 to £90 to have their house cleaned, wouldn't want to clean in driving rain for my million pound houses to have dirty windows the following day, I'd soon lose custom that way
You might lose the odd customer, but the financial benefit of working through outweighs any financial loss.

Spot on.

If you clean say £250  a day (or £500 for you big boys down south) then thats £250 gone forever, never to be recovered or seen again.

If you lose 1 customer at £12, well, you are still £238 better off than if you had been too scared to clean.

In fact you could have not cleaned all week and lost 2-3 for totally unrelated reasons.

If you keep turning up day after day no matter what at the end of the year you will be much better off financially that if you try and  play it safe and second guess everyone, even if you have a cost to replace a few,

AuRavelling79

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »
I have pretty much weeded out all my "not today the weather's bad" types.

Yet Monday it almost surfaced again.

Mr. R says to me (just as I finish and collect payment ...)

"Do any of your customers ask you not to clean in weather like this?" (It wasn't even  raining at that moment but there were showers on and off.)

Me: "No they don't Mr. R"
Mr. R: "I thought they would."
Me: "No. You're the first one to bring it up in a long while."
Mr. R: "Really? You surprise me!"
Me: (Levelly) "In my early days of window cleaning customers might try it on, but they quickly became ex-customers by the end of the conversation,"
Mr. R: (Laughing to cover embarrassment) "Understood. See you next time."

It's a game of three halves!

nathankaye

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 05:54:38 pm »

Is this not judging the clients mimd of frame based on your own opinion?
Are you convinced that cleaning in the rain has a good or bad quality finish? Hence not wanting to start a hoise if its raining!

Obviously this is your choice and your right. All im saying is, for me i work in the rain as I know it makes no difference and i educate my customers and they all know this.
The first time i did so, i was sceptical but the very next day, a couple of my old dear customers told me they wasnt convinced untill i cleaned them the day before in the rain and they saw for themselves that it dried clear and they took the trouble to stop and tell me as they passed in their cars.  This convinced me as it passed the old biddie test  ;D
Therefore all my customers are treated the same.  Yes a bigger, posh house would be charged more for various reasons, but i will not move on my work ethics incase they disagree. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Slacky

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 06:04:50 pm »
poor weather your window clean has been rescheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday the 13th March. Best Wishes...Marc

Just sent this out today, going to do an internal window clean this afternoon that was booked in tomorrow and swap over the work. Just having a bacon bagel, and preparing my scrims for this afternoons internal job..

some of the replies....

"Thanks...we did wonder  ;D"

"Thanks, I believe strong tea and a warm sofa are necessary at these times of hardship!  :D"

"Ok Marc, last thing i want is you blown up on the roof- see you tomorrow!  :-*

If you rescheduled Tuesdays work for Wednesday, when will you do Wednesdays work? And so on and so on. Sounds like a right mess to sort out to me.

Just sent this out today, going to do an internal window clean this afternoon that was booked in tomorrow and swap over the work

Erm....did you read my post?

Its very easy to understand.

And its easier to text customers when there is a problem, than texting them every evening the day before that im coming to clean like most of you.

Its easier not to get in to that palaver in the first place.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 06:16:31 pm »
We offer a Weather Satisfaction Guarantee.  If after we have done the clean and the windows dont dry to the normal standard we aim for, then give us a call and we will come back and do a full reclean for free, and offer a free clean the following month.

To this day, i've had like 3 customers take us up on this offer.  However we have never once sacked the day off due to high winds or strong rain.  I have wages to pay including my own.  I'd rather lose the odd customer here and there due to cleaning in bad weather than sack the whole day off.  We managed to do £500+ today despite really strong winds on the coast.

Rather lose the odd customer than risk not going out on bad weather days and lose a ton of money anyway from still having all our expenses yet no turnover in a day.

If you are a smaller business though i can understand taking the odd day off for bad weather, but not for me thanks.

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:56 pm »

i bet your one of them nightmare/messer customers most window cleaners dump nigel! ;D

jonboywalton75

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 06:37:27 pm »

So you fall into the category of pleasing socially well to do people and bow to their wims.
Obviously use common sense with what rain you are prepared to work in. However to ME, i wouldnt treat the well off any different to the poorer. They are only Human.  If my service is good enough for one then its good enough for the next person and the same reason I work in the rain applies to them all.

I'm on about the relative price difference, I wouldn't want to pay £ 90 for window cleaning only for it to look terrible within 12 hours, £5 isn't so bad.
I try and treat everyone with the respect they deserve

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »
i have enough scheduled time off at xmas,summer holidays etc...sod having more time off because i might upset the odd customer,you WILL lose money over the course of a year if you sack it off every time we have bad weather...no doubt about it.....unless you like working long days,weekends to catch up(i dont)....

jonboywalton75

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:45 pm »
I only work about 12 hours on the glass per week though 😂