Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davetherave

Phantom clamps on an slx pole?
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:47:43 am »
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has experience using those rubber phantom clamps on a gardiner slx pole ?

The reason is, I’m thinking of changing over to phantom clamps, but don’t want to buy  two whole new poles

We have no end of trouble with having to re- glue the gardiner clamps, and I would love to use a new, better option

Simon Trapani

Re: Phantom clamps on an slx pole?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:57:01 am »
I wouldn’t even consider it!

How old are your poles? We don’t get any problems now with the newer poles & clamps. A few years back we’d get the odd one need re-glueing but never enough to consider switching supplier. Gardiner’s are still the best poles imo. I don’t even consider the competition when replacing.

davetherave

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:15:21 am »
The poles are 3 years old and have had a lot of use.

I like the gardiner poles but we have no end of grief with the clamps and needing to re glue them

I’m not looking to replace the poles themselves, just the clamps

As I understand it, the phantom clamps are patented and I think possibly designed by the guy from exceed who makes the univalve and slick connectors, which I think are absolutely superb.

For 40 quid for a pack of 4 clamps, it seems worth the gamble , especially as the glue to glue the gardiner clamps costs about 20 quid

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:19:23 am »
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has experience using those rubber phantom clamps on a gardiner slx pole ?

The reason is, I’m thinking of changing over to phantom clamps, but don’t want to buy  two whole new poles

We have no end of trouble with having to re- glue the gardiner clamps,
and I would love to use a new, better option

Sorry to hear this.

It is rare for a clamp to come unglued from a pole section. If a clamp does come loose and it is glued back on with the correct glue and preparation method it is then even rarer for it to come unglued again.

If you are having to re-glue a clamp repeatedly it is most probable that the glue or preparation methods are not quite correct - Please feel free to drop me an email (alex@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk) so that we can help sort this out.

davetherave

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:49 am »
Alex I have phoned your company in the past and also been emailed detailed instructions on which type of glue to use and how to apply it

I was told to use a two part acrylic adhesive

I did ask you guys which exact brand of two part acrylic adhesive  and wasn’t given an answer

We have tried two different brands of two part acrylic adhesive

We find that after particularly heavy work , like the scrubbing of dirty green guttering and fascias and conservatory roofs, the clamps almost always fail

But they also fail on regular window cleaning. We then have to duct tape them till we have chance to glue them again

We have to usually re glue a clamp once a week. Usually done on a Friday and left to dry over the weekend

We clean windows 8 hours a day four to five days a week

So we are heavy users

I believe phantom, facelift or exceed have re designed the clamps to fix this design flaw in your product

Whether the phantom clamps actually work i have no clue though. They could be a bag of rubbish

Overall I like your stuff but this clamp issue is frustrating

Simon Trapani

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 09:57:49 am »
For what it’s worth it sounds like you’re abusing your poles Dave.

Only slight issue I have with the Gardiner’s glue is the lack of a decent dispenser. They just come in a two part bag. Works great though. So that’s the only reason I tend to use a locally sourced glue.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 10:28:39 am »
Sounds like your a little heavy handed in the way you operate, one of my guys manages to get a clamp come loose about once a month but that aside, I use gorilla super glue and after that I rarely get a clamp come adrift ( other than the one operator ) - this is over 6 slx 25 poles

they are ready to go after 3 minutes

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 10:32:40 am »
Alex I have phoned your company in the past and also been emailed detailed instructions on which type of glue to use and how to apply it
I was told to use a two part acrylic adhesive
I did ask you guys which exact brand of two part acrylic adhesive  and wasn’t given an answer
We have tried two different brands of two part acrylic adhesive
We find that after particularly heavy work , like the scrubbing of dirty green guttering and fascias and conservatory roofs, the clamps almost always fail
But they also fail on regular window cleaning. We then have to duct tape them till we have chance to glue them again
We have to usually re glue a clamp once a week. Usually done on a Friday and left to dry over the weekend
We clean windows 8 hours a day four to five days a week
So we are heavy users
I believe phantom, facelift or exceed have re designed the clamps to fix this design flaw in your product
Whether the phantom clamps actually work i have no clue though. They could be a bag of rubbish
Overall I like your stuff but this clamp issue is frustrating

Hi Dave

I have looked up our email record and back in December 2017 when we emailed you the gluing instructions with the link to the flexible epoxy adhesive that we recommend and sell ( https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/pole-spares-sections/pole-clamps/two-pack-black-flexible-glue-rapid-adhesive.html ). This glue is not a 'branded' glue that can be bought on the high street, hence not being able to give you a brand name for it. It is made commercially for us for our application.

I can resend  this original email to you along with the link that was sent, if you would like. It would be worth giving this glue a try - generally it only needs a hour to set and dry and if correctly prepared before application it should not need doing again for the life of the section.

I would be just as frustrated as you if I was gluing back on a clamp a week - this would drive me up the wall!

Top tips for re-gluing:
1. Use this flexible black adhesive glue
2. Prepare both surfaces properly - remove the old glue remains fully from the end of the carbon section and the inside of the clamp. Sand both surfaces and ensure both surfaces are dry and grease free
3. Apply this glue to to both surfaces and then  twist the two parts together
4. Wipe of the excess glue from the outside and allow to dry vertically so that the clamp bonds level
5. Once dry, use a knife point to remove the excess glue from inside the section

If all of the above points are followed then the clamp will usually never need re-gluing.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:28 am »
Sounds like your a little heavy handed in the way you operate, one of my guys manages to get a clamp come loose about once a month but that aside, I use gorilla super glue and after that I rarely get a clamp come adrift ( other than the one operator ) - this is over 6 slx 25 poles

they are ready to go after 3 minutes

Darran

Hi Darran

Gorilla Super-Glue is good for a quick temporary fix, but it may the reason that your 'one' operator has them come loose again in use.

Super-Glue is a rigid glue and the nylon clamp body and the carbon tube both will flex regularly in use. This flexing can lead to non-flexible glues failing in time.

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 10:46:18 am »
When the new Gardiner clamps came out I upgraded them on my slx and used adralex or adralite not used it since so don't remember the spelling. That was a few years ago! 

davetherave

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 11:16:35 am »
Alex I don’t remember ever been sent a link to your specific glue you use and sell back when I last contacted you, although I remember asking .

I could be wrong though.   I appreciate you sending it me now

I think it is a design flaw in your product that you know all about

At the end of the day we are window cleaners, not pole maintenance men, and the poles should be glued correctly from manufacture surely

We have 3 of your poles and all three have had clamps fail. Two 18ft slx and a 50 ft super max

Im gonna give the phantom clamps a whirl, see if they are any good or not, and then if they are rubbish, buy that special glue of yours

I personally don’t believe that glue will hold indefinitely, although it may well be better than the 2 different brands we have tried, so I appreciate it you are trying to sort it out.   

Like I say, I like your poles and have no problem with your company, I just think that the guy at exceed is a little bit of an innovator that is much needed in our industry

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 11:53:57 am »
Alex I don’t remember ever been sent a link to your specific glue you use and sell back when I last contacted you, although I remember asking .

I could be wrong though.   I appreciate you sending it me now

I think it is a design flaw in your product that you know all about

At the end of the day we are window cleaners, not pole maintenance men, and the poles should be glued correctly from manufacture surely

We have 3 of your poles and all three have had clamps fail. Two 18ft slx and a 50 ft super max

Im gonna give the phantom clamps a whirl, see if they are any good or not, and then if they are rubbish, buy that special glue of yours

I personally don’t believe that glue will hold indefinitely, although it may well be better than the 2 different brands we have tried, so I appreciate it you are trying to sort it out.   

Like I say, I like your poles and have no problem with your company, I just think that the guy at exceed is a little bit of an innovator that is much needed in our industry

Hi Dave

I have resent the email from last December - it has the link to the glue in the email  :)

I can understand why you feel that it is a design flaw - however from our wider perspective we would not agree with this. Tens of thousands of sections are in use with this method of attachment and the failure rate of the glue is very, very low. Generally it offers a very reliable method of creating a single item from a carbon tube section and a clamp.

I would agree that a clamp should be glued on correctly from manufacturing - however occasionally products will fail for various reasons. Looking at your weekly gluing schedule and the fact the these poles are 3 years old - the issue here is trying to get the occasional older clamp to stay glued on once repaired. The glue and methods previously recommend really are the best option for not having to face re-gluing again.

Bolted on clamps have been around for many years now and have their own set of reliability and use issues which is why we have stuck with glue (pardon the pun). However the Phantom clamps may suit your needs better (if they will fit) - so I hope all goes well with them for you  :)

Drop me an email if you need any further help in the future.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 12:16:52 pm »
In over 10 years of slx use, I have had only 2 clamps ever come loose. As a temporary fix, which turned out to be permanent, I wrapped some electrical tape around the top of the section and then forced the clamp back on over it. It never came loose again!! Quick, solid solution.👍
Comfortably Numb!

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 12:56:47 pm »
In over 10 years of slx use, I have had only 2 clamps ever come loose. As a temporary fix, which turned out to be permanent, I wrapped some electrical tape around the top of the section and then forced the clamp back on over it. It never came loose again!! Quick, solid solution.👍
I did exactly the same thing with my clx years ago, 1.5 to 2 wraps is all you need, my old man still uses the same pole now
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

JackieW

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »
I've had to reglue 1 x Gardiner clamp in about 5 years. I used the glue that Gardiners sent  to reattach and that was that.
That is the only experience I have of this situation.

I think to say its a design flaw that Gardiners know about is a bit harsh. What you really mean is you have a problem with the clamps on your poles and reattaching them using whatever glue you use.  That is the only experience you have of this situation.

Gardiners don't think they have a problem with their glue and clamps. They sell tens of thousands of sections and clamps. That is their experience of this situation.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 03:44:40 pm »
Years ago I had occasional SLX clamps come loose. Since using the Gardiners "black glue" I have never had a repeat issue.
It's a game of three halves!

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 03:59:45 pm »
Are you guys maybe letting your poles smash down on the clamps when lowering them?

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 04:13:46 pm »
11 vans, over 25 poles across the vans and have glued 3 clamps in 9 years. Poles are changed every 2 years, mixture of slx and clx. Keep up the good work Alex.
Dave the rave, araldite rapid, available on the high street. 

Splash & dash

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 06:05:36 pm »

We have no end of trouble with having to re- glue the gardiner clamps, and I would love to use a new, better option

Lol Alex won’t like that 😂😂😂😂

Splash & dash

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 06:18:45 pm »
We have around 10 Gardiner poles in all different sizes and models and I can honestly say over the years I also have had to re glue probebly 10 clamps ,but once I have reglued it myself it has never come off again I just use araldite , rub the end of the pole down with sandpaper to remove old glue ,do the same in side the clamp rinse with mentholated spirits to remove any contamination let it dry mix glue apply to pole section push on clamp and rotate half a turn wipe off any excess glue job done . I do think that the way it’s done from the factory leaves a lot to be desired , I have never had this issue with any other pole manufacturer, however I always have gone back to Gardiners poles as they are the best option by a long chalk at the moment , I think competition from other manufacturers is good as all strive to improve there products we as window cleaners benefit