Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gregmyster

booster pump
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:33:50 pm »
Hi
I have upgraded to a larger tank in my van so I now need to produce more water, just wondering what is the best way to do it. I use reverse osmosis in my garage going to a couple of water buts that I then pump into my van but its not enough especially if I work the weekend as it is not building up a buffer.I am thinking of a booster pump but am not really sure what to look at as I have seen some that are powered by the water flowing them and some that are powered by electric
cheers in advance greg

Shrek

Re: booster pump
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:13:42 pm »
What size R.O. have you got?

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:15:08 pm »
I use a permeate pump (water pressure powered) but on it's own it wasn't particularly good as it requires decent water pressure to operate it well and my mains pressure is quite low at about 35-40 psi. It definitely improved it but not anywhere near the claims that were made for it.
So I fitted a booster pump as well to raise the pressure to 75psi and got much better results. I use a 300gpd RO and it keeps up with me as a one man outfit. I don't know why but with the permeate pump fitted as well as the pooster pump the RO performs much better. The water goes in at around 400 ppm and comes out at between 4-6 ppm. Without the permeate pump it comes out at about between 15-20 ppm. The result is that my resin lasts much longer than before.

As an information note, the booster pump is fitted before the RO and the permeate pump is fitted after the RO but before the flow restrictor, being driven off the waste water pressure

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 09:16:19 pm »
What size of ro do you have ?
There are many booster pumps out there rated for different volumes of ro.  A 150 - 450 gpd unit is going to require a much smaller and cheaper pump than a 4040 membrane.

gregmyster

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 09:22:20 pm »
thanks for the replies my ro is 200gpd,what type of booster pump  do you think would be sufficient
cheers greg

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:23:50 pm »
Probably be better of upgrading your membranes tbh

gregmyster

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:27:22 pm »
when you say upgrade your membranes what would you recommend to
cheers greg

Shrek

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:34 pm »
Well I started with what you have - a 200gpd RO , then upgraded to a 450gpd and that was satisfactory for a while , then upgraded again to a something else (can’t remember) and now Iv got a 4040. I used to have my 450gpd running for around 12hrs a day to produce about 300 Ltrs .
It was a total inconvenience- the 4040 is on for around 4 hrs every other day now to top up my 1000ltr ibc . One of the best investments Iv ever bought 👍

Speak to Doug at www.daqua.co.uk tell him how much you want to produce a day/week and he’ll sort you out with what you need

Go

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »
Probably be better of upgrading your membranes tbh
this.

gregmyster

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 10:09:38 pm »
cheers I will look into that