This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

The Jester of Wibbly

How would you clean this ? Best Method Please ?
« on: September 26, 2018, 05:55:10 pm »
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

deeege

Re: How would you clean this ? Best Method Please ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 06:06:55 pm »
From one of the barges? Other option is get a pair of waders and get in the canal but it looks quite industrial and will probably be full of shopping trolleys and bikes so therefore unsafe.

Looks like a fun job anyway.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Shrek

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 06:13:56 pm »
Abseil or hop from barge to barge as they’re going past with one of nathank’s trolleys 😂

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 06:14:04 pm »
i simply wouldnt take it on......let us know how you cleaned it if you do go ahead with it though! ;D....
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:14 pm »
Get yourself a pair of these shoes.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:23 pm »
Cheers chaps.

No way will I will jump into the canal and drag a hose through it.  Unsafe and probably not allowed as its a busy canal with propellers passing by :(

The customer thought I could just stand on the canal side opposite it, but thats not an option either.

The only way i see possible at the moment is by chartering a maintenance boat, but unsure of the costs.     
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:01 pm »

Llaaww

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:08:43 pm »
Wfp: From a friendly barge, work it into the price and pay them for it.

Trad: Have eye bolts fitted to all the windows, pop on a harness and get on with it.
if it is dirty it is fair game

windowswashed

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 07:28:03 pm »
Borrow a friend with a fishing kayak with stabilisers (floats) as you can stand up in them to fish as it's safe  :) I got a 17ft sea kayak you could borrow  ;D

Bungle

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »
Easy, use a barge pole  :D
We look at them, they look through them.

Spruce

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 08:07:53 pm »
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

David Beecroft

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »
I think all architects should be obliged to spend a year window cleaning as part of their course. Some building designs take no account of maintenance.! 🤔

rosskesava

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2018, 01:29:20 am »
Wfp: From a friendly barge, work it into the price and pay them for it.

I have a friend who did exactly that along the Regents Canal in London's East End.

He only had to ask a few canal boat owners before one agreed. He told the building management there would be a £50 charge for the canal boat owner and they were only too happy to pay the extra.

It was a similar building though not quite as large.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Johnny B

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 09:10:46 am »
I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole!

I would be very interested to know how you got on though.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 09:19:19 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
You're not thinking of ACTUALLY doing the job are you????

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 09:41:54 am »
The square windows look a pain to clean , like each little square would hold water on the ledge and then dribble down later .

I feel sorry for the people who live on the ground floor- having people floating past their windows every 5 minutes looking in at you

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 10:05:32 am »
Update. Management company said they had a wc that came every 8 weeks and stood on the bank opposite with his pole.

Residents want it more regular as the canal evaporation makes windows very bad.

Managment company said due to insurance reasons he could not come more regularly.

Strange. Although it's not the management company I'm dealing with it's the residents who want to employ another wc.

I advised customer to maybe speak direct with current wc as I cant see how it can be done effectively and safley from the bank.   They did not seem keen on chartering a boat at this stage.

Slacky

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2018, 11:54:17 am »
They're full of shit if they think a shiner can clean those lower floor windows from the opposite bank.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 12:31:47 pm »
They're full of shit if they think a shiner can clean those lower floor windows from the opposite bank.

got to agree with you , we would do the top half from the other side using an ex 47 , not saying it would be easy but the hubby is use to doing high stuff from the ground all day every day in the usa ,so i would expect a good job from him on this

however , the lower floor windows would be a nightmare poling it from  the other side , even with the brush straight on  or stepping to the side and doing it side ways  but straight using a ex35 it would take some controlling

i guess this is where the last w.c. failed and just made do , maybe just rinceing  them and not even touching the glass  with the brush ?

my guess is it the down stairs people kicking up a fuss about how poor the cleaner is

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »
I have a 47 too but I would not even try contemplating the other levels either from the bank.  That angle would be too much handle.  Forgot to mention before that behind the towpath there is a solid brick wall so no room for any movement for the back of the pole to allow any counterbalance.

Eeek