This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Go

Re: Struggling to price up a school
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 07:10:09 am »
How dirty are the windows? I’d probably go in at £1.50 a sqm and add some on for good luck.
In and out? Seriously?

Each side. 

andyM

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:24:24 am »
I don't understand pricing for window cleaning per square metre?
Do you take a tape measure with you when quoting?
One of the Plebs

Smudger

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 08:46:30 am »

likewise
doesn't mean a lot - rather see the job and get a feel whats needed - but everyones different i suppose

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

John Mart

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 09:03:03 am »

likewise
doesn't mean a lot - rather see the job and get a feel whats needed - but everyones different i suppose

Darran
Especially with schools. I wouldn’t touch one again unless I needed it as it will be slow finickety work and almost certainly a one off job.

Smudger

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 09:11:00 am »
no schools are good - understand if your one/two man team as it will impact on regular work load which for a once/twice a year clean might not be worth the hassle

we have found 12 schools on the books ranging from small first schools that we clean every term and take 1 man around 2 hours  to whopping academy's  that require 4 men for 3 days

they make money but nothing truly outstanding however its the extra's you can pull out of it like gutter clearing - pressure washing or "emergency" cleaning when offstead  are due that are worth having

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

LBWCS

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 04:13:57 pm »
It's ridiculous to suggest the school  remove tape/glue etc from the inside windows first before you start. ::)roll

THATS WHAT THEIR PAYING YOU FOR!!!!!

I personally wouldn't take the job on and I'd pass their details on to another WC......simply because I wouldn't want a large job like that on my books anyway and certainly not once a year....the windows will be filthy and insides a nightmare....no thanks... ;D

No that’s not what they are paying you for. Removing posters and cello tape etc is not Window cleaning. It is a very different job. More like builders clean. Hence I insist posters and blu tact etc must be removed because we won’t be removing it! It can add a rediculous amount of time on

John Mart

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 04:21:54 pm »
It's ridiculous to suggest the school  remove tape/glue etc from the inside windows first before you start. ::)roll

THATS WHAT THEIR PAYING YOU FOR!!!!!

I personally wouldn't take the job on and I'd pass their details on to another WC......simply because I wouldn't want a large job like that on my books anyway and certainly not once a year....the windows will be filthy and insides a nightmare....no thanks... ;D

No that’s not what they are paying you for. Removing posters and cello tape etc is not Window cleaning. It is a very different job. More like builders clean. Hence I insist posters and blu tact etc must be removed because we won’t be removing it! It can add a rediculous amount of time on
I tend to agree. Even when they do remove it though, the residue is still there.

Smudger

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »
Would it help if they cleaned the window for you 😁

Darran

deeege

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 07:15:05 am »
no schools are good - understand if your one/two man team as it will impact on regular work load which for a once/twice a year clean might not be worth the hassle

we have found 12 schools on the books ranging from small first schools that we clean every term and take 1 man around 2 hours  to whopping academy's  that require 4 men for 3 days

they make money but nothing truly outstanding however its the extra's you can pull out of it like gutter clearing - pressure washing or "emergency" cleaning when offstead  are due that are worth having

Darran

I disagree with this Darran. I clean 4 schools and 1 large college/university, ranging from a small primary school that takes 4 hours to clean (4 times per year) right up to one that takes 6 man days to clean. (Annually)

All of them remove the posters and blue tack  from the windows prior to me cleaning, this was specified before me taking the job on.

They are some of my best paying work when broken down to an hourly rate.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2018, 08:58:00 am »
Sorry deege, between auto correct and bad grammar that post didn’t come out very well

I meant - no, schools are good. not schools are no good!

Darran

Soupy

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 10:50:39 am »
Sorry deege, between auto correct and bad grammar that post didn’t come out very well

Darran

Grammar; the difference between knowing your sht and knowing you're sht.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2018, 12:24:05 pm »
There is no debate about who's job it is to remove tape and stickers off the windows.  It's all part of the negotiation on price.  Make sure you price accordingly for the work required rather than complaining its not worth the the hastle.

Make it clear with the site manager what needs doing presenting him with available options.  If you explain that removing tape etc would double the price as it doubles the time.   Site manager would probably agree its better value to get the teachers with the help of the kids to remove their own artwork if they want them cleaning. 

Just make sure you fully understand what the site manager wants and talk through options.   When quoting itemise each option seperatly so they can make their decisions on what level of service they require.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

deeege

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 12:31:31 pm »

Darran

😂 amazing how one comma can change the whole context of a sentence.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

deeege

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 12:32:35 pm »
There is no debate about who's job it is to remove tape and stickers off the windows.  It's all part of the negotiation on price.  Make sure you price accordingly for the work required rather than complaining its not worth the the hastle.

Make it clear with the site manager what needs doing presenting him with available options.  If you explain that removing tape etc would double the price as it doubles the time.   Site manager would probably agree its better value to get the teachers with the help of the kids to remove their own artwork if they want them cleaning. 

Just make sure you fully understand what the site manager wants and talk through options.   When quoting itemise each option seperatly so they can make their decisions on what level of service they require.

Good post Paul. Nailed it.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:34 pm »
I priced a school a few years ago 12-1400 pupils,I walked round with the caretaker-burser,all to be cleaned inside and outside once a year and outside only once a year. I got 2/3rds of the way round and said for inside and outside we are over the 2.5 k Mark they stopped me and said really,I said well yeah it’s going to take 3 of us minimum to clean it. They then said we will give you a clue the other firm  was cleaning it for 1200 in and out and 800 outside only,completely pointless contemplating jobs like that if you’ve got decent domestic work years ago you’d get good money cleaning schools and massive Tesco’s etc those days are long gone people are cleaning them for peanuts.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »
Another thing worth knowing is that unless you personally know someone that can chase payment for you it can take 4-5 months to receive your money,I know someone he cleaned it in summer got paid the end of that winter.

Smudger

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:42 pm »
Forever negative nwh

Our schools have always been prompt payers - always in the first week of the new term, so usually within 7 days of the clean
Darran

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 05:11:06 pm »
I have done 5 quotes for schools this year and won 4 of them.  All pays double what I earn for a day on domestic.   All paid within 2 weeks of term start.   

PO numbers supplied by all.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

NWH

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
All I’m saying I’d have to charge old school prices so to speak to make it worth putting my regulars on hold ,it all depends what you earn and perceive good money to be,if your earning usually 200 a day on your houses 300 doing a school would be good. This is my point there’s to many people employing having to cut your throat for the job to pay wages,at the end of the day to them it might just be turnover to pay the bills,if I do a commercial it has to be over and above what I’d do on houses as commercial jobs will blink and your gone for pennies less to the next cleaner happens on a daily basis.

Craig 72

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:23 pm »
I appreciate the advice from everybody.Seems a difference of opinion on whether schools are worth taking on but I'd like to do it if possible as you never know where it might lead.For anybody interested,I put in a quote at £1200.I am thinking it would take me around 4 days with the chance of it going over a bit if needs be.The guy I'm dealing with said that the price wasn't unreasonable but due to the fact that it's over £1000 they will have to get comparison quotes.I've taken this as a little nudge to me that £1000 would secure the job.I'm more than happy if I secure it for that even if it takes me a week.