Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

KS Cleaning

Re: Phantom pole.
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2018, 07:59:39 pm »
I use an 18’ pole as my everyday pole, the phantom 18’ and 22’ has a closed length of 4’2”, so an extra section to extend and collapse.....I’m out.

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2018, 11:41:45 pm »
My observations are that the wear to pole sections occurs not just at the clamps but also at the base of each section where it slides up and down against the inside of each pole section and therefore all along the inside of the sections that contain the most operated sections. Logically, the more grit gets in the pole the quicker it will wear out, inside and out, and not just at the clamps.
When I broke my SLX last year it gave way where it was worn thinnest on the inside not the outside.
It would be interesting to know what testing these poles have been subjected to before being brought to market. I wouldn’t want to spend that much on a new pole that wasn’t subjected to some pretty rigorous testing when there are already tried and tested models on the market.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2018, 05:58:39 pm »
My observations are that the wear to pole sections occurs not just at the clamps but also at the base of each section where it slides up and down against the inside of each pole section and therefore all along the inside of the sections that contain the most operated sections. Logically, the more grit gets in the pole the quicker it will wear out, inside and out, and not just at the clamps.
When I broke my SLX last year it gave way where it was worn thinnest on the inside not the outside.
It would be interesting to know what testing these poles have been subjected to before being brought to market. I wouldn’t want to spend that much on a new pole that wasn’t subjected to some pretty rigorous testing when there are already tried and tested models on the market.

This was my exact point on reply #21.
Stephen Fox reckons the majority of wear comes from the clamp but like you I believe just as much, if not more comes from internal friction.
Comfortably Numb!

duncan h

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2018, 08:32:11 pm »
I use an 18’ pole as my everyday pole, the phantom 18’ and 22’ has a closed length of 4’2”, so an extra section to extend and collapse.....I’m out.
I use an 18 SLX as my main pole. If it has an extra section, that's me out. unless its something special

alank

« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2018, 07:05:56 am »
Anyone tried one yet?

Spruce

« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2018, 08:12:10 am »

100% correct.

In 99% of cases poles 'spin' at one point and that is a 'collar' of wear at the very top of the section just below the clamp.

What were the long term usage reports on the Phoenix pole when that was released with much funfair a few years ago. There was a lot of hype of how this is the best pole ever and this game changer would force Gardiners out of business. I don't think the reality lived up to the hype.

I seem to remember complaints about the top section wearing out in less than a year and that the clamps weren't as good as they were made out to be.

All this new pole is about is a new clamp design which is being marketed as their new game changer. I'm sure Steve has done a good job but its not the 'b all and end all.'
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

wayne m

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2018, 03:19:42 pm »
Did anyone buy a phantom pole at the show Saturday and tried it out today?

windowswashed

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:39 pm »
See there is no mention of pole weights or wether the length is pole reach or actual reach

stevieg

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2018, 03:57:07 pm »
The gardiners are the only one that I have found that are actually 30 foot extended!! All of the others tend to be slightly less (a couple of feet) so weight comparisons might not be accurate. I actually hate lateral clamps as, to me, they are a step back. They catch more easily on conservatories or extensions and open up! Also I never had to tighten up the clamps when they were the "flip over" type but with these it seems a constant feature and in the end I give up but of course that causes problems or I over tighten and this leads to pole wear. (and before you ask, i have used Gardiners with the "spring device" waste of time,  just a gimmick.

Soupy

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
The gardiners are the only one that I have found that are actually 30 foot extended!! All of the others tend to be slightly less (a couple of feet) so weight comparisons might not be accurate. I actually hate lateral clamps as, to me, they are a step back. They catch more easily on conservatories or extensions and open up! Also I never had to tighten up the clamps when they were the "flip over" type but with these it seems a constant feature and in the end I give up but of course that causes problems or I over tighten and this leads to pole wear. (and before you ask, i have used Gardiners with the "spring device" waste of time,  just a gimmick.

It maybe didn't suit you but it's certainly not a gimmick.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

John Mart

« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2018, 03:39:11 pm »
I'm surprised you say they're a gimmick. They hugely increase the life of the pole.