This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul alan

othan than a window cleaner....
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »
What would be bringing in more money?

I mean in realistic terms, something you could qualify for in 3 years college or even something you wouldn't have to go to college for that still brings in a lot of dough( like window cleaning).

I'm not thinking of giving up, I just get bored from time to time and like learning new stuff.

I have been thinking about doing some sparking as I know a little already and have some experience. Plumbing NVQL2 as well
but like I said I get bored easy. I think its being off since Thursday last week.

dazmond

Re: othan than a window cleaner....
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:04 pm »
why have you been off since last thursday paul?no work due?

ive no interest in being a plumber/electrician/builder or any of them sort of trades.i see them every day when im window cleaning and i think "sod that!".it all looks like too much hassle and hard work to me.i often think "thank god im a window cleaner!" :)

no doubt you can earn as much as window cleaning(and more)if you put the effort in but its not for me.
price higher/work harder!

Og

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »
You can do most degrees in 3 years.
You can do anything you want.

nathankaye

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:45:52 pm »
After being self emoloyed for so long, i would hate to go back into employment thats for sure. Run round like a headless chicken following orders for less than a tenner a hour  ???
Knowing that you can make that in ten minutes.

Also being a sparky or plumber seems good because they do a job and get paid at the end of it. Thats why I like pressure washing. Customers have a different mind set because its a bigger expense, clean someone's drive for say £300 and job done, money in you hand and go to the next one.
Window cleaning depending how people collect, that tyoe of money comes in dribs n dabs
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:01:25 pm »
What you want to do is make your money earn money for you ....

paul alan

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:21:46 pm »
why have you been off since last thursday paul?no work due?

ive no interest in being a plumber/electrician/builder or any of them sort of trades.i see them every day when im window cleaning and i think "sod that!".it all looks like too much hassle and hard work to me.i often think "thank god im a window cleaner!" :)

no doubt you can earn as much as window cleaning(and more)if you put the effort in but its not for me.

well I did a bit Friday morning but its been too bad here in north wales we got hit hard.
I took today off although could of worked just kids school was shut so decided to take he day off too, ramping down for the break now. Taking 2 weeks off so I'm not worried about the schedule getting out a bit, worked hard this year.

pikeman

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:51 pm »
Was a bricklayer served a 5 year appretiship. In 2008 had the recession started window cleaning part time. The rest is history as they say. Wouldn't go back to it although could start tomorow if I wanted crying out for them.

Missing Link

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:02:30 pm »

I've got a little sideline with events photography.  I get paid to photograph a series of night running races; about six of them every winter, and a couple of day time races on top.

I was flattered when asked, so didn't get greedy and under priced myself.  It's not just window cleaners who make that mistake when they're new.

It's my 2nd year of doing it and I'm angling around for more of this kind of work.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:02:44 am »
I gave up doing a degree to be a windy  :D

Was 2 years into a 4 year I.T degree

Made the decision to be self employed simply because the world's your oyster and because I didn't want to be stuck in an office for the rest of my life being a wage slave.

Thought about doing other stuff but it's only a change of graft.

I think the question you should be asking yourself is what can I invest in or what businesses can I build rather than thinking of learning a new career and going out to graft in it.

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 12:23:58 am »
Prostitutes earn good money.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 12:25:42 am »
A mate of mine is an air conditioning fitter and engineer. He earns more than me.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 06:55:29 am »
I’ve followed a number of topics on this section,  eg: ‘£400 a day’ etc so have a good indication on the earning potential of windows cleaning and I don’ t want to start a them against us type topic and I say this with the upmost respect but carpet & upholstery cleaning has the potential to easily top window cleaning in the earning stakes, I moved out of carpet cleaning completely last May,  at that time £400 days was reached a couple of times a week this was the cultivation of 20yrs in the business and having a well established business.

I moved into a more profitable area pressure washing.

A couple of other jobs that have a good potential...

Car radio decoding and dashboard resetting, s few years  ago my mate offered a service for premium cars that reset the ‘service due light’ he drove around the country meeting people at service station and did the reset.

Security light fitting,  another mate fits security lights for home owners. he does 3 a day and his top of the range service (included armoured cabling or channeling  ) earns him £380 a light and it’s his best seller

Next year i’m Starting a environmentaly friendly weed killing service which I have high hopes for
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 08:23:46 am »
It's a lot area dependant.

No way could I earn 400 a day cleaning carpets round here. Justwont happen. Tried it for over a year.

I also seriously looked into locksmithing last year was considering doing some courses and starting up as talk of 100 quid an hour I heard. However when looking into it in my area, the market was saturated and speaking to various training centres, locksmiths and suppliers the average call out fee was more like 40 an hour. Which when you factor in costs and the fact you are on call and not flat out all day it wasn't any better than cleaning windows.

You see plumbers on 80k -100k a year but it's down south....

Same with pressure washing, gutters and any other trade like plastering, decorating etc I'm sure good money can be had but only in the right areas. Also looked at fencing and landscaping, same deal really

Shrek

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:22 am »
I think I’m most trades , there will be a limit in earnings , even with Lee Pryor he’s going to reach the ceiling in earnings.
The trick is to have your fingers in many pies

Walter Mitty

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 08:35:33 am »
I enjoy writing fiction.  The likelihood of eventually earning an income from it is pretty slim because traditional publishers are highly risk-averse these days. However, Amazon, Goodreads and others have opened the door to free self-publishing in recent years, so I will tout my wares on there when I'm ready.
At best it will only be a supplemental income.  People who have trodden this path before me say that the extracts I've shown them need only minor tinkering.  Honestly, even if I never make a penny piece from it, I'm doing something I enjoy. Unlike with window cleaning, I'm learning new things regularly, so it keeps the mind active as I start ageing.

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:03 am »

No way could I earn 400 a day cleaning carpets round here. Justwont happen. Tried it for over a year.

I also seriously looked into locksmithing last year was considering doing some courses and starting up as talk of 100 quid an hour I heard. However when looking into it in my area, the market was saturated and speaking to various training centres, locksmiths and suppliers the average call out fee was more like 40 an hour. Which when you factor in costs and the fact you are on call and not flat out all day it wasn't any better than cleaning windows.

Same with pressure washing, gutters and any other trade like plastering, decorating etc I'm sure good money can be had but only in the right areas. Also looked at fencing and landscaping, same deal really

the reason being adam is a lot of trades "big up" their earnings.the ones earning top dollar are working extremely hard and have been in their line of business for many years.most will earn nowhere near the figures quoted.

unfortunately theres no easy way to make a good honest living.it takes years of hard work,discipline and sacrifice.

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:22 am »
also when trades talk about £100 an hour etc.ITS THE ODD JOB WHERE THE VE EARNED THAT AMOUNT,NOT A CONSISTENTLY HOURLY RATE.

if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Missing Link

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 08:58:06 am »
Prostitutes earn good money.

After seeing photos of you, Slacky, you could earn a small fortune.

It would all be in 10p coins though.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Mike Halliday

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 09:30:58 am »

the reason being adam is a lot of trades "big up" their earnings.the ones earning top dollar are working extremely hard and have been in their line of business for many years.most will earn nowhere near the figures quoted.

unfortunately theres no easy way to make a good honest living.it takes years of hard work,discipline and sacrifice.

Just to comment of the bold section, I know a lot of carpet cleaners who big down their earnings or just don’t comment and I earned top dollar without working extremely hard.  But I do agree massively with your final sentence... hard work, discipline and (a little bit of ) sacrifice  do often lead to good earnings
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

DeLuce

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:00 am »

I mean in realistic terms, something you could qualify for in 3 years college or even something you wouldn't have to go to college for that still brings in a lot of dough( like window cleaning).

I'm not thinking of giving up, I just get bored from time to time and like learning new stuff.

I have been thinking about doing some sparking as I know a little already and have some experience. Plumbing NVQL2 as well
but like I said I get bored easy. I think its being off since Thursday last week.

I'm similar, in that I find window cleaning bores me a bit over time.  I like learning new skills.
Earlier this year I did my tree felling licences and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I'm qualified to cut any tree, even the most dangerous type, ie, severed roots and windblown trees, from the ground. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Plus you aquire new knowledge and skills.
I'd say, if you can make the time, learn what you have an inkling for doing, why not? Mix it up a bit!!