Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

combat1

Immersion users
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:41:31 pm »
So running a trial tonight.
I have put an old fish tank areator pump in my tank while the water is heating up.
The effect of this is to cause waves in the tank and this moves the water around.
Might get a more even heat, who knows? But worth a try.

windowswashed

Re: Immersion users
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:26:56 pm »
The water will move around when you drive so no need for airator

Slacky

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:18 am »
Heating the water will also create thermals in the tank, this'll help to move the heat about. But driving down the road will mix the unheated water with heated.  Don't over engineer, theres really no need.

combat1

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:06 pm »
Very true guys!
I think my 14’’ immersion is too small for the 350 litre tank, what do you guys use?

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:43:02 pm »
Im not bashfull but bigger is better  ;D ;D
27"  in a 500 ltr upright
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

combat1

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
I knew someone would have to boast!
How much was the 28’’ Nathan, I think it’s a 2kw?
I might have to have some surgery and increase my length!!

Dry Clean

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:10:24 pm »
Its the wattage of the immersion not the size that makes the difference, having it at the bottom of your tank is also important as
heat rises therefore if it was at the top of the tank a lot of the heat would be lost into the air.

DeLuce

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:18 pm »
Yeah, true.
Mine is as low as my arms would go  ;D

combat1

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 03:00:22 pm »
Thanks Dry Clean,saved me some money.
A 2 kw is pretty low rated, having said that I had a good day today with water steaming off the windows.

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »
Looking to buy an immersion element

You say I can get away with a small un as long as I'm in the right spot with it?  :-*(Low)

What about 2 small uns at the same time, one at either end? Won't that be preferable to one biggy shoved in at one end only?

So length has nothing to do with it? Won't a longer one stimulate a bigger area (of water) ? Making it heat up quicker

Thanks

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 05:45:05 pm »
its all swings and roundabouts, its using a certain amount of electric to heat up a certain amount of water.

using a 2kw element will use less electric but for longer than a 3kw element would, equating to the same thing.

One thing though, a 2kw element would take longer than a 3kw element but the extra time taken would mean more heat loss on top of that extra time so in effect less efficient, unless your tank is super insulated that may make up for it a bit.

Adding another element on the opposite side may give a more even heat distribution but once you start moving and using I think it may become irrelevant as the heat would get moved around anyway. Also heat conduction will come into play.

Then the extra wiring etc for the second element may of been a waste of time/money.

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 06:08:47 pm »
I would recommend either a 2kw or a 3kw and insulate your tank as well.
My tank is a 500 upright wydale tank (check out the measurements of them)  so for me, bigger is better.
A 27 inch compared to a 14" length, ( be it a 2 or a 3kw) is obviously covering more area for the heat to thermo rise through the water.   My element is as low as I can get it, which is below the central baffle (divide in the tank) and so I have heat rising both sides of the baffle. A 14inch ellement of the same wattage would not do that and extra circulation would be needed to help it mix n heat.

So if you can go larger in size then I certainly would recommend doing so
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 06:11:51 pm »
My tank is a 500 upright wydale tank (check out the measurements of them)  so for me, bigger is better.
A 27 inch compared to a 14" length, ( be it a 2 or a 3kw) is obviously covering more area for the heat to thermo rise through the water.   My element is as low as I can get it, which is below the central baffle (divide in the tank) and so I have heat rising both sides of the baffle. A 14inch ellement of the same wattage would not do that and extra circulation would be needed to help it mix n heat.

Im going to get an element from screwfix tomorrow.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-copper-immersion-heater-element-27/53858

Do they come with everything needed to fit a tank or do you need to buy any washers, sealant or some type of fittings?

thanks

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 06:17:02 pm »

Do they come with everything needed to fit a tank or do you need to buy any washers, sealant or some type of fittings?

thanks

That's 3kw- as are all standard elements. You would require a full 16amp rig from consumer unit to element.... unless you wish to burn your house down!!
Comfortably Numb!

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 06:34:15 pm »

thanks

That's 3kw- as are all standard elements. You would require a full 16amp rig from consumer unit to element.... unless you wish to burn your house down!!

Just came back on here to ask that question, just googled it lol

so looks like i should get a 2kw element then

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:55 pm »

thanks

It's not expensive to have a sparky do the 16amp work for you, parts are cheap and a couple of hours labour.
Comfortably Numb!

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 07:17:43 pm »
Looking to buy an immersion element

You say I can get away with a small un as long as I'm in the right spot with it?  :-*(Low)

What about 2 small uns at the same time, one at either end? Won't that be preferable to one biggy shoved in at one end only?

So length has nothing to do with it? Won't a longer one stimulate a bigger area (of water) ? Making it heat up quicker

Thanks

No Adam you will still have the same wattage  just over a longer immersion, its just means you will have a reduction in heat per inch.
As the hot water rises the cooler water sinks therefore the immersion will always be surrounded by the coolest water no
matter what the length, Your always going to get a slight heat difference when heating a tank of water using an immersion but as the guys who use them say the mixing of the water when driving sorts that problem out.

paul alan

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »

thanks

I used some good quality silicone and let it go off for 24 hours, that may be overkill though. Still, wouldn't want it leaking in the back of the van with a full tank.

I think even with a 2kw element you still may have to be careful with regards the circuit its on!

I wired up the 16a rig from the consumer for mine but I do have some electrical experience, I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself unless you know what your doing.

It cost £5 for the 16a mcb. it cost £20 for the 3 core 2.5mm cable. it cost £15 for the 16a timer. it cost £8 for the 16a socket. it cost £20 for the 16a extension.
So your looking at around £70 for the rig and an hour or two labour for it fitted. I think its around £20-£25 per hour for an sparky (blinking hell, they'd be better off cleaning windows)

Stoots

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 07:48:57 pm »
Thanks Paul but i am renting so  dont want to be doing all that.

Might try a 2kw or maybe just forget about it, how many times does it drop below freezing afterall.

paul alan

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 07:50:42 pm »
Thanks Paul but i am renting so  dont want to be doing all that.

Might try a 2kw or maybe just forget about it, how many times does it drop below freezing afterall.

Some people use them aquarium heaters, you just plug it in and drop it in the tank. could be an idea?