Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: Fao Alex gardiners ( and everyone else ) re slx
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 11:45:16 am »
My first SLX outlasted the Xtels I used before by a factor of 3. My first xtel split within the year of use and the the other two were so horrible to use once the gel coat wore off (splinters in the hands and clamps constantly needing to be adjusted with screwdrivers) that they are now being used as line poles.

However the OP was in regard to the latest SLX poles. I haven't bought one in so long that I can't comment on them. Alex is the best one to answer that. So unless he's being fooled by his suppliers I'd be reading his post carefully

My xtreme 22 is fine though. Nearly a year old and I love it. As someone else has experienced the atmospheric conditions do seem to have an impact on the clamp effectiveness. When very cold I sometimes need to nip them up and visa versa but its an easy few seconds job. Same on my SLX25

Marc Stock

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 11:51:41 am »
I have to say that the elbow bit that goes into the end of the pole where the brush is mounted is definitely very stiff. I had to physically get some pipe grippers over it to get it off and nearly snapped the plastic. 

I just sanded it down and it fits better.

Gardiner poles are the best i have ever used. For me though i dont bother maintaining it. I treat it as a disposable item and change it every 18 months or so. Havent got time to be messing about washing it down and all that..its ok if you have time of course. But who wants to wash down poles after a day of window cleaning.? Plus it doesn't reaaly make a huge difference to the longevity imo

Plankton

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:42 pm »
This may not be much use but over the years, I have got into the habit of using external pole hose. This greatly reduces the need to de-grit the pole and, presumably, increases pole life. The down side is that there are more tangles, but you adapt to keep this to a minimum.
I haven't used internal pole hose for a few years now.
I changed to external before and you do get used to it, but for some reason I changed back to internal and it don't half gather the crud and when I took the end cap of the pole last week it was full of muck from working on a site. You notice it during the summer when folks have had patios laid or their driveway cleaned and sanded that your picking up the grit. It's not rocket science but if you choose not to clean it out then any pole will suffer as a result.

richard connett

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 02:25:47 pm »
What I do for sections that are spinning

Wrap some metal tape  on the clamping ends of the pole. I know some might want to clamp all along the section but I find I always clamp in the same places.

The tape only needs to be replaced every few months , once it's on its on

colin bird

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:00 pm »
I purchased a slx 22 in Aug this year and a friend purchased one in October this year,we have both been using our previous slx 22 as our every day pole for the last few years.

What we are both finding with new poles, sections spinning and slipping several times a day,we also have to tighten clamp screws several times a day to stop spinning and slipping.
New poles are already showing signs of wear,and look the same as my previous two year old pole.
( all poles cleaned and maintained )

My question is as the above is happening to two new poles ,are we the only ones finding this ?
Has the specification and quality of components and parts changed in the last couple of years.
We are both dissapointed with our new poles,considering how pleased we were with our previous poles.

Hi Colin

Sorry to hear of your disappointment.

I can first of all reassure you that the construction methods, quality and specification of the carbon fibre tube sections and the clamps has not changed on the SLX poles at all in the last two years. There have been small improvements made to the barrel nut and bolt design and manufacture, but this would not have affected the poles itself.

What may be the issue?

Reading your description it almost sounds as if the  adjustment on the clamps may not be holding tight enough and the locking nut is allowing the clamp to undo during use. If this is the case then replacing the locking nuts should be a quick and easy solution.

Addressing the wear issues - As we know that the materials and construction have not changed we would then look at environmental issues affecting the pole. There is really only one thing that affects the wear on these sections and that is abrasion - this abrasion comes from the dirt, grit or sand that are encountered in a day's work and gets trapped between the section and the clamping surfaces.

What may have changed?

Are you now working in an area with higher levels of sand and grit, perhaps a new round along a sea front? - if regularly used in such areas then abrasive wear will accelerate and affect the pole if not washed out and serviced frequently.  Sand is the No.1 abrasive wear factor on telescopic poles - if working in a sandy environment (freshly laid paver drive, sea front, etc.) it is vital to fully flush the pole out after use.

Have you reduced the amount of cleaning and servicing that you carry out on the poles? If so this could negatively affect the wear rate.

If you think that there is a specific product problem that has not been caused by an environment or maintenance change then please give our Customer Services Team a call on 01726 66400 or sales@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk and they can start the process of looking into this. If emailing, it is a good idea to provide as much information as possible including photos etc.

Hi Alex thanks for your reply,I will replace the locking nuts,as suggested and I feel that will rectify the problem,,as you have suggested they may becoming loose after being tightened.
In general slx poles are very good value  for money,considering how much we earn with them.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 05:30:50 pm »

Hi Alex thanks for your reply,I will replace the locking nuts,as suggested and I feel that will rectify the problem,,as you have suggested they may becoming loose after being tightened.
In general slx poles are very good value  for money,considering how much we earn with them.

If the locking nuts do need replacing then we would of course supply these under warranty.

Please contact Customer Services on sales@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk or 01726 66400 and they can arrange to send them out for you. Please have your original order details to hand and also let them know that I have diagnosed this via the Forum. I have just sent the Team an email to let them know that you will be in contact.

robbo333

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 07:02:27 pm »
I've had SLX's and Xtreme poles for years and never had a single problem with clamps (even the old ones).
However my newest Xtreme has a very slight issue on one clamp only.
I just had a look and the locking nuts are 25p plus VAT plus delivery etc etc.
I might treat myself for Christmas.
This could be the smallest amount i've ever spent at Gardiners.   ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

duncan h

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 07:46:47 pm »
I have a SLX 25. 5 years old. Its fantastic. NEVER adjust clamps.
Just over a year ago, I got a SLX 18. Constantly adjusting clamps. It wore the first section in the end. Sold it off and got another SLX18. 6 months old and never have to adjust the clamps. ODD

paul alan

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 08:11:12 pm »

If the locking nuts do need replacing then we would of course supply these under warranty.

Please contact Customer Services on sales@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk or 01726 66400 and they can arrange to send them out for you. Please have your original order details to hand and also let them know that I have diagnosed this via the Forum. I have just sent the Team an email to let them know that you will be in contact.

I love the poles,brushes,everything!

BUT..........The damn quick-loq connection for the brush........the bearing keeps jamming inside and its driving me crazy!

I'm currently trying different brushes out day to day and I have to stand there holding the brush in place whilst hitting the connection with a screwdriver until the bearing pops up.

I now have a few of these sitting around in the van and I'm running out of "good" ones.

How is this problem solved please?

paul alan

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 08:13:26 pm »

Oh and Alex... please see my thread tri-jet brush and let me know your thoughts please.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:05 pm »

BUT..........The damn quick-loq connection for the brush........the bearing keeps jamming inside and its driving me crazy!

I'm currently trying different brushes out day to day and I have to stand there holding the brush in place whilst hitting the connection with a screwdriver until the bearing pops up.

I now have a few of these sitting around in the van and I'm running out of "good" ones.

Is this a standard gooseneck or a swivel?

Not sure why the silver button is sticking down. It may need the spring & button removing and the hole cleaning out or even making a little larger with a drill bit. Then refitting the spring & button.

Of course if you contact us we can look into this properly for you.

Tri-jet brush looks good - seems to work well.

rosskesava

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 01:50:28 am »
I purchased a slx 22 in Aug this year and a friend purchased one in October this year,we have both been using our previous slx 22 as our every day pole for the last few years.

What we are both finding with new poles, sections spinning and slipping several times a day,we also have to tighten clamp screws several times a day to stop spinning and slipping.
New poles are already showing signs of wear,and look the same as my previous two year old pole.

My question is as the above is happening to two new poles ,are we the only ones finding this ?
Has the specification and quality of components and parts changed in the last couple of years.
We are both dissapointed with our new poles,considering how pleased we were with our previous poles.

If you have to tighten the clamp screws several times a day, then after less than a week, there would be no more thread left to tighten.

I've had my SLX 30 for 4 years plus.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

Soupy

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 06:07:17 am »

If you have to tighten the clamp screws several times a day, then after less than a week, there would be no more thread left to tighten.

Deductive reasoning suggests the nut is slackening, Sherlock Holmes not required. Unless it's one of those new fangled infinity bolts.

It's probably a conspiracy.
A fully paid up  memeber of the blue pill community

Walter Mitty

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 06:38:09 am »

I resolved this by using a different tool combination. Instead of the male quickloq, I put a metal thread insert into clamp no1 and have the adaptor and brush screwed onto it. The quick release is achieved by a quick flick of the clamp which releases the thread insert.  It does mean having a thread insert in each adaptor, but it's efficient.  If you ever want to undo the insert (such as when an adaptor breaks), it's better done by clamping tight and turning.  Unfortunately, the next adaptors I received from Gardiner's had a more conical shape meaning that they would not fit tightly onto the thread inserts. Hopefully, they still have the more standard adaptors when I next order.

colin bird

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 06:53:09 am »

Thats exactly the reason I posted,but as I'm a mere window cleaner ( and thick ) I didn't give the locking nuts working loose a thought  to be the problem,but I feel when they have been replaced the problem will be sorted

paul alan

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 10:42:17 am »

Not sure why the silver button is sticking down. It may need the spring & button removing and the hole cleaning out or even making a little larger with a drill bit. Then refitting the spring & button.

Did think about drilling out a bit but didn't want to have a loose connection, have tried cleaning and wd40 but no joy.

they are swivel goosenecks.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 12:54:40 pm »

Did think about drilling out a bit but didn't want to have a loose connection, have tried cleaning and wd40 but no joy.

they are swivel goosenecks.

If you wanted to have a go at enlarging the hole slightly the trick would be to select a drill bit just a fraction larger than the hole - perhaps just 0.5mm larger.

If not give us a call.

paul alan

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »
I'll have a tinker with it, thanks Alex!

callum99

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 02:27:57 pm »
I agree completely with what you're experiencing,, i thought it was just me moaning,, just like a lot of things nowadays I'm afraid, it all starts off great, then bigger profits seem to be the order of the day and new cheaper suppliers are often sourced with unfortunately a knock on effect in what we believe we've purchased

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2017, 04:44:03 pm »
I agree completely with what you're experiencing,, i thought it was just me moaning,, just like a lot of things nowadays I'm afraid, it all starts off great, then bigger profits seem to be the order of the day and new cheaper suppliers are often sourced with unfortunately a knock on effect in what we believe we've purchased

Hi Callum

I'm not sure exactly what issues you are/have been experiencing with an SLX pole? If you are having issues, then please get in touch with our Customer Services Team on 01726 66400 or sales@gardinerpolesystems.co.uk and we will be happy to look into this for you.

I can confirm that whatever issues Colin (OP) has experienced (or yourself) none of these will have been caused by any cost cutting or reduction of material quality on the part of our supply, construction or assembly processes.

We work hard to maintain the best possible quality and materials, with constant attention spent on the production process and if needed any changes to production will only be to improve the end product and not to reduce costs.

We have in the last two years had to absorb an ongoing increase in production costs due to the falling value of the pound - we have continued to manage this by improving our efficiencies within the business and by buying in larger quantities rather than looking for ways to cut costs on the quality of materials used. If of course production costs keep rising then we may have to start passing on increased costs to the retail customer, but this will not be a decision taken lightly.