Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul alan

calcium speckles
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:23:20 am »
Just done a first clean to my usual sterile standards but was horrified to see little speckles covering the glass.

tried Virosol, no joy! tried bronze wool, no joy!

What to do??

Slacky

Re: calcium speckles
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:49:05 am »
Have you told the customer you'll clean them or restore the windows?

Seymour Sunshine

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:50:23 pm »
If the bronze wool won't shift them, they must be incorporated into the surface of the glass.

I've heard about fabrication debris on American glass. It's tiny globules of glass that can get dislodged by scraping and leave a small scar behind. Never heard of it in the UK, though.

Anyway, if they're incorporated, there's nowt you can do.
Banjo players are sent from heaven ... to make drummers look good.

paul alan

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 03:51:58 pm »
Have you told the customer you'll clean them or restore the windows?

cleaning! But for my own future reference I would like to know how to shift it.

Its only a bungalow, all the windows are within easy reach and there isn't many of them

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 03:54:11 pm »
If the bronze wool won't shift them, they must be incorporated into the surface of the glass.

I've heard about fabrication debris on American glass. It's tiny globules of glass that can get dislodged by scraping and leave a small scar behind. Never heard of it in the UK, though.

Anyway, if they're incorporated, there's nowt you can do.

I don't think it is a matter of it being in the glass its definitely on the surface and its not on all of them, just most of them.

pristinewindows

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 03:58:08 pm »
Any lead about?
If its run off from lead you need acid.
(If you take the acid you wont see the speckles or they'll be brighter colours) ;D

paul alan

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »
Or if I give the acid to customer she wont care about the windows at all.

cat9921

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »

What to do??

Tell them that you are a crap window cleaner and need to pay more for a better job  ;D

p1w1

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 04:08:26 pm »
Get some of that special hot water that melts concrete that will do it, just make sure you dont melt the frames as well  :D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Get some of that special hot water that melts concrete that will do it, just make sure you dont melt the frames as well  :D

LOL ;D

paul alan

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 04:27:26 pm »

What to do??

Tell them that you are a crap window cleaner and need to pay more for a better job  ;D

put them claws away cat!

andyM

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 04:42:39 pm »
Are you sure it's not white paint from a sprayer?

One of the Plebs

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:01 pm »
they're little out of shape circles that have a stronger outline then goes lighter in the middle, looks like hard water stains!

p1w1

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 05:45:10 pm »
does she have hanging baskets with flowers near them

paul alan

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 06:11:53 pm »
does she have hanging baskets with flowers near them

No nothing near by, I asked if she had any type of work done recently and she told me she had the fsg cleaned by a plastics guy who used some type of chem in a spray.

Some of the most phobic glass I have ever cleaned, I did a test on one window with bronze wool and that went phillic afterwards but spots remained.

Barryy

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 11:45:29 pm »
Just done a first clean to my usual sterile standards but was horrified to see little speckles covering the glass.

What to do??
It could be damage to the glass due to someone using an angle grinder to cut metal nearby. If the sparks of metal  from the angle grinder hit the glass, they can actually lodge in the glass and become part of it, impossible to remove. I've come across this time and again.

paul alan

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:31 am »

What to do??
It could be damage to the glass due to someone using an angle grinder to cut metal nearby. If the sparks of metal  from the angle grinder hit the glass, they can actually lodge in the glass and become part of it, impossible to remove. I've come across this time and again.

Yes ,mate I know exactly what you mean, see it all the time too. they are brown rust colour and protrude a mm or 2, this is different.

andyM

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 09:53:24 am »

I don't think so.
Whenever I've seen damage to glass from an angle grinder it leaves dark speckles on the glass.
One of the Plebs

Og

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 09:54:50 am »
Is it under a stone wall? Or limewash?

paul alan

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 10:53:47 am »
Is it under a stone wall? Or limewash?

yes its all surrounded by some kind of render, not sure what though, but you can see where the rain water has been running down as its staining the frames black too in runs.