Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

paul alan

A bit further downnthe road.......
« on: March 28, 2017, 08:58:35 pm »
......I would like to expand my horizons!

For those that employ, what are the pitfalls?

I just imagine an employee turning up with a 12 week sicknote and being left to do all their work on top of my own and having to hand cash over to him/her. What do you do in this situation?  What things can you include in the contract to safeguard yourself form such things?

How does it all work?

I am also considering a franchise or 3 but i would like to explore both options, i mean there are people that employ so what obstacles do you have to overcome along the way? I imagine the first bit being the worst bit, as always.

Then there is holidays, pensions etc.

Can anyone give me a basic understanding please?

CleanClear

Re: A bit further downnthe road.......
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »
Can anyone give me a basic understanding please?

Easy that mate. Just imagine you've applied for a window cleaning job. Now, lets just say you'd got it...full time employment. Now .....use your imagination......what would you expect ?
 As you point out above... what if they're off sick ? Easy that (to say) , you'll have to get a temp substitute.
 Yes you'll have to pay holidays, and now the new pension contribution scheme.
 TBH you're better off going through the Federation of Small Business forum with a toothcomb. Employing now , whilst easy comes with a whole plethora of red tape and do's and don'ts. PAYE now has to be uploaded weekly to HMRCS, you wil have to register as an employer for Pensions and other stuff...  Of course none of this is unsurmountable, it will probably just require more thought and reseach than you envisaged..... i'd guess.
 Employee insurance.. risk assesments... etc... Do able, but a head ache unles you're into that type stuff.. that why there is a rise in self employed....working cash in hand..... and franchisees !!!!    :-))
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

paul alan

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:33:02 pm »
Well franchise is what i have been thinking about, a lot!

Just wanted to explore my options as i have seen discussions on here before about whats best, franchise or employ.

Would like to hear from employers perspective as to why they chose that route and how it meets their wants and needs.

If i cant find anything to sway me I will concentrate on franchise.

Thanks

CleanClear

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:56:13 pm »
Well franchise is what i have been thinking about, a lot!

Just wanted to explore my options as i have seen discussions on here before about whats best, franchise or employ.

Would like to hear from employers perspective as to why they chose that route and how it meets their wants and needs.

If i cant find anything to sway me I will concentrate on franchise.

Thanks

I think every variation works, but its about what YOU are good at...... i.e managing staff OR getting work. For example Lee Pryors model seems at odds with Ian Lancasters... but there's many more here i just used a quick example................ its not an easy question.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

paul alan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 07:37:25 am »
Ive had acouple of chats with Ian lancaster and am 99% sold, whos lee pryor and what are the basics of his philosophy?

8weekly

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 07:40:07 am »
The problem with franchising is that you need an awful lot of work to come "off the tools".

Dry Clean

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:58:00 am »
Paul there are ways of making sure you don't get an employee turning up with a 12 week sick note, the statuary sick pay wouldn't
be much good to a guy with a young family and a newish mortgage.
Pick an employee that needs you as much as you need them.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:38:13 am »
I have been employing for the last 4 years.....I'm going back to being on my own soon and selling the employee some of my work...

Imo it doesn't really pay for the hassle.

paul alan

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:40:41 am »
I have been employing for the last 4 years.....I'm going back to being on my own soon and selling the employee some of my work...

what are the hassles for you?

G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 09:21:26 am »
Paul there are ways of making sure you don't get an employee turning up with a 12 week sick note, the statuary sick pay wouldn't
be much good to a guy with a young family and a newish mortgage.
Pick an employee that needs you as much as you need them.
Ooh, you Capitalist modded, haha.
Some truth in it, though. I saw it happening more and more in a job I used to have.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

SB Cleaning

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »

sick days...Having to pay holiday...Having to pay wages when weathers crap....quality issues....The list goes on.

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:14:47 pm »

sick days...Having to pay holiday...Having to pay wages when weathers crap....quality issues....The list goes on.
Pensions, health and safety, quality issues.

paul alan

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 02:45:05 pm »
I think I may have made my mind up.

Cheers for responses!

Tom-01

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 08:11:19 pm »
I think I may have made my mind up.

Cheers for responses!

You're going to book a holiday? Thats what I did when I had to decide!  ;D

windowswashed

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 08:38:41 pm »
No point in taking someone on just because you're too busy and growing. Need a healthy profit to make it worthwhile otherwise you just become a busy fool.  Employed PAYE in the past before my illness.  Prefer being a lone worker with more flexibility and without PAYE staff nowadays,  but if I was employing someone it would definitely have to be well worth it profit wise otherwise I wouldn't even give it a consideration.  It's not about growing the business with a couple of workers with big turnover but smaller turnover, bigger profit and least hassle  :)