Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Shrek

Re: Work pouring in!
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 10:16:35 am »
Some of the replies on here make me laugh....everybody mown out with work and turning it down
How long have you been going? I would say if you're not in that position after 3/4 years you should get a job instead. Before I took someone on I had way more than I could manage. I was three weeks behind when my first staff member started.

Well said

8weekly

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 10:51:01 am »
I have been going 30 years I never turn anything down sometimes I get a bit fed up of cleaning the glass only I would prefer add ones. I would rather do two or three cons or facias a day than glass can't be bothered with all the collecting
It seems obvious that if you don't turn anything down, you haven't got a full round or else you'd be weeks behind all of the time.

Shrek

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 11:21:03 am »
I have been going 30 years I never turn anything down sometimes I get a bit fed up of cleaning the glass only I would prefer add ones. I would rather do two or three cons or facias a day than glass can't be bothered with all the collecting

In 30 years have you not managed to acquire  12-15 new customers a year? how have you still got room to fit anything in?

Smurf

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 11:32:57 am »
Just a quick question for chaps that so say they are full - Can't/don't want to take on anymore jobs.

Do you chaps that turn away work because you are so say too busy ever look at dropping the more hassle/lesser paid jobs and replace them with less hassle/better value work?

Marc Stock

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 11:44:25 am »
Just a quick question for chaps that so say they are full - Can't/don't want to take on anymore jobs.

Do you chaps that turn away work because you are so say too busy ever look at dropping the more hassle/lesser paid jobs and replace them with less hassle/better value work?

Problem is its a risk. You could drop lower paid work for higher prices but you dony know how relaible new payers are going to be

p1w1

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:37 am »

I will nearly always take a new job on if there is no access issues etc and not out of my way. I just price it that bit higher to test the water so to speak. With a larger round comes more cancellations (died, moving, etc) so its always good to take on the odd new customer, as you say can dump one that you dont like doing.
So for instance if i had 6 calls in a week from customers say a couple of mins outside my normal area i would go investigate instead of wasting my time dealing with silly customers trying to get as much out of me for a measly £10 (just saying like  ;D)

Marc Stock

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 11:54:59 am »
Anyway competition is getting ridiculous. I litterally had 2 cancellations just this minute ago, both to cheaper prices.

So thats a pain.

Smurf

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 12:06:55 pm »
If peeps are so stacked out with work how about looking at the frequency too?
For instance moving domestic custards from 4 weekly (monthly) to 8 weekly (bi-monthly) and charge more.

Smurf

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »
Anyway competition is getting ridiculous. I litterally had 2 cancellations just this minute ago, both to cheaper prices.

So thats a pain.

Peeps can cancel at a whim for whatever reason at anytime. However if they cancel on price alone they are not the types you really want on your books anyway surely?

Marc Stock

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 01:13:47 pm »

So thats a pain.

Yeah i agree, its still a pain tho

Peeps can cancel at a whim for whatever reason at anytime. However if they cancel on price alone they are not the types you really want on your books anyway surely?

Stoots

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »
There being full and then there's being FULL

You could say if you have enough work for what you want then you are full. For example if you have decided you want to work 9-3 Mon to Fri then you could squeeze in the odd extra job if you wanted but might not want to take on any more regulars.

Then there is being full to the point where you literally can't fit anymore into the daylight available.

The second scenario would absolutely obliterate me and I wouldn't have the energy to do anything else. I've worked 8 hour days on the glass before and if done at any sort of pace all you want to do when you get home is sleep.

That's why  a lot of guys may say they are full when they have enough work for what they want without killing themselves.

p1w1

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 01:18:48 pm »
There being full and then there's being FULL

You could say if you have enough work for what you want then you are full. For example if you have decided you want to work 9-3 Mon to Fri then you could squeeze in the odd extra job if you wanted but might not want to take on any more regulars.

Then there is being full to the point where you literally can't fit anymore into the daylight available.

The second scenario would absolutely obliterate me and I wouldn't have the energy to do anything else. I've worked 8 hour days on the glass before and if done at any sort of pace all you want to do when you get home is sleep.

That's why  a lot of guys may say they are full when they have enough work for what they want without killing themselves.
would agree with that..

Smurf

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 01:24:42 pm »
Well said as everyone is different. Ideal goal for most should be work smarter not harder and all that.

chris turner

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2017, 01:47:41 pm »
I always take on the gutters, fascias, con roofs etc as it's a break from the norm plus there's good money to be had, especially from gutters.
As mentioned though every extra job taken on puts a extra strain on keeping up with the regulars.
I'm always a week behind even though most work is 8 weekly but hey ho know one's complained yet.

It happens this time every year, march through to may, everyone's getting their houses in order ready for summer. After that the extras die down a little and i get the regulars back on track.
Most customers understand this time of year is extra busy so i ask for a little patience.
As long as you do an excellent job when their time comes then there's never a problem.

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2017, 01:51:37 pm »
I’ve lost a couple in the last 3 days, someone must be canvassing round here.

Anyway, not to worry, I picked up a new regular residential clean in London this morning thats worth £3K year.

I was thinking of Chumpbucket when that one came in.

No doubt, just like your big London commercial that never existed!! ;D LMAO ;D
Comfortably Numb!

Tosh

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 02:02:27 pm »
You need to give those drugs a swerve Chumpy.

Go and take your Mum out for a slap up Sunday roast, do her a favour at least.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 05:08:03 pm »
Desperaaaaado..... lol ;D
Comfortably Numb!

8weekly

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »
I reckon a couple of weeks until Chummy self destructs again.  ;)

dazmond

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2017, 05:36:01 pm »

30 years?longer than me then! ;D(24 yrs)

I've sold work on in the past as it was too much for one man to clean. 

I pick and choose what new work I take on as I like shorter days and weekends off most of the time these days.

Earning money is not the be all and end all for me.time management and keeping a fair work/leisure time balance is far more important.

Once your earning a good wedge month in/month out and are in a financially comfortable position(it's took me many years)then extra work is just eating into your rest/leisure time.

Of course I am always taking a few new jobs on here and there because I lose jobs here and there too for whatever reason.it balances itself out.

I don't do anymore work than I normally do the last few years as I'm at a plateau in my business.

The only way for me to earn more money now is to increase prices (which I have done this month)or work longer and harder which I'm not going to do.I think I work hard enough taking into consideration my age and  leisure activities  (weight training/playing drums in a band,etc).

I haven't failed to earn more money every year for the last  9 years(ironically since the 2008 stock market crash). :)

price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2017, 07:38:48 pm »
A well priced and refined round working 25-30 hours a week should provide ample money for a one man band and also give you space to be able to have days off/holidays/rain delays/breakdowns and enjoy the rest of your life.

Its surprising what you can get through in 5 hours when you work flow is optimised.

Dont forget there will be a few hours on top of that for admin etc.

Hopefully I will reach that point by the end of this year.