Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

edward coller

in line heaters and all that heat......
« on: March 22, 2017, 04:46:25 pm »
Hello, buying a new machine to back up T/M  and wondered who out there uses cold water only to rinse, and/or uses in line heater and which is a good reliable model if any, to buy.
In my early days used great  porty machines with internal heater which worked well, so always cleaned hot  and with T/M always constant heat , so tricky getting my head round this. Interesting machines without heat suggest using hot water for presray to increase cleaning ability of product, but ok to rinse cold.
Lots of different views please! Simonj

john martin

Re: in line heaters and all that heat......
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:10:39 pm »
i would say by design Ashbys inline would be the best  ,   pretty sure the Magma , the powerflite port a heat   , and the Ashbys steammate are the same heater core ...  the one pictured below , dual heater core .   The difference is Ashbys wrap a copper coil around the hot metal underneath the insulation , thus increasing the efficiency by increasing the length of heated metal the water passes through , or the time it spends inside the hot metal .

Others like the prochem heat and run appears to be thin single core , and the mytee hot turbo uses four single core units joined , which should give good heater length although they appear shorter lower power units .

So i would pick the Ashbys on that basis .    If its fed by water heated by Ashbys intank  immersion then u are increasing efficiency even more , so i would suggest either for convenience get an Enforcer with both 3kw heater built in .  Or get an Enforcer with just an immersion ... and get the external steammate ... then u can use both at the same time ( just run a cord to another house circuit ) and u could also bring the steammate to the last 25ft close to the wand .
Of course there are other good  options from alltec and others but it think Ashbys have the best heating systems by design .

As for the cold water question  ....  i believe that came about when some ( for mainly sales reasons ) suggested you  ' dont need hot water '   but its kind of a trick statement as it implies its somehow a disadvantage or an inconvience to use heat , and that cold is somehow preferable .   Where as ,  heat , will simply , as most know increase your efficiency another notch . 
To suggest you '  dont need heat '  would be similar to suggesting you can do without agitation  , or you can do without soil emulsifying chemicals , or you can even do without a machine it self and still clean the carpet with a brush and towel  .
But the most efficient methods are preferable to most .

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
The heater in my Altec Advantage broke 12 years before I retired. I never used hot water afterwards. I used microsplitters and other good products from that company in Cornwall that I dare not mention by name.
Always had great results and found that hot water never made any difference to drying times.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

john martin

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 09:37:39 pm »
kinver ...  i mentioned Ashbys and Alltec , im sure no one objects to you saying the suppliers name ?

Thats fine , if it worked for you  ....  drying times might be debatable , but how about cleaning times , i would say thats when the main advantage to heat is .
And microsplitters ...  i dont mean to sound like a stuck record ... but they dont exist !!! and in its just a made up name ,  the components in microsplitter are also in every other regular carpet cleaning powder , so the microsplitter is just carpet cleaning powder with less of the same indredients ...   
So you worked well and got good results im sure ... but it was most likely less efficient than if you used heat ( and preferably a better heat source than just an immersion )   and used cleaning products with the more usefull ingredients not removed .

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:52 pm »
I am well aware that 'microsplitter' is a made up name.  So is automobile.
The products I found the most effective have no constituents that occur in 'ordinary' detergent type of cleaner.
They worked out a lot more economical and in my opinion performed brilliantly.
I am not saying that the same results could not be obtained by using detergent types.
They suited my way of working and I did not need a hot rinse, only 55-60 deg water for initial prespray, easily obtained from a kettle and enough left over for a cuppa.
The average cost of product for a 3 bed house was less than 50p.

john martin

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:02:44 pm »
I am well aware that 'microsplitter' is a made up name.  So is automobile.
The products I found the most effective have no constituents that occur in 'ordinary' detergent type of cleaner.
They worked out a lot more economical and in my opinion performed brilliantly.
I am not saying that the same results could not be obtained by using detergent types.
They suited my way of working and I did not need a hot rinse, only 55-60 deg water for initial prespray, easily obtained from a kettle and enough left over for a cuppa.
The average cost of product for a 3 bed house was less than 50p.
But they do have constituents that occur in ' ordinary ' detergent as you put it
For example ... how about that one ye were bashing on CT lately   :) ... formula 90   ...   does contain what u call microsplitter

U then imply they were somehow engineered to work better at lower temp ...  not a shread or logic or proof to that

edward coller

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:17 pm »
Thanks guys for that so far... Good to hear what you other guys are using, not to be judgemental , but for informed debate as above so as to educate. Thanks again and more is good

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:02 pm »
Like most products they work a bit faster if warm but I have used them cold the next day.
I am not a chemist just a retired carpet cleaner who takes it as he finds it.
I found that thosr products worked as well with plain cold water rinse as any others with hot. Only a couple need a mild acid rinse when used on wool.
I found certain other products produced a sore chest after use, this ceased when I went over to Soilutions.
I think we will have to agree to disagree!

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 10:53:19 pm »
Simon, just on a tangent, if you decide you want an Ashbys V2 heater i have one for sale if your interested?

I have several inline heaters and decided i don't need them all. My number is 07742030323 if you want to chat, even if u just want advice (i have 2 Ashbys and a Mytee Hot Box so have used a few mentioned)

Jason

john martin

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:00:30 pm »
Simon, just on a tangent, if you decide you want an Ashbys V2 heater i have one for sale if your interested?

I have several inline heaters and decided i don't need them all. My number is 07742030323 if you want to chat, even if u just want advice (i have 2 Ashbys and a Mytee Hot Box so have used a few mentioned)

Jason
which heater did u find worked the best  for you   ..   

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 11:42:55 pm »
they both do to be honest

the Ashbys V2's are definitely 'hotter' but the Mytee will also keep up well if you give it hottish water first which is what they all need. The Mytee is a milder heater but still plenty hot enough if on all 4 buttons. The V2 is steaming hot on carpets on full setting if thats what you need.

the Mytee can be a safer delivery of the right heat on upholstery