Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nathankaye

another benefit of hot water
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:11:31 am »
Cleaned 2 houses yesterday (new clients), when i went to clean back windows i noticed something smeared all over  one of the windows on the first house i cleaned.
However wasnt too fussed as it seemed to have cleaned up nicely.
Same on the 2nd house i cleaned but it was on the front windows.
Wasnt overly concerned as i always get a first clean price before setting their regular maintenance charge. In these cases the ownera told me afterwards that their windows got egged.

It would have taken ages with cold water alone, but hot water, absolutely brilliant!!!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

Re: another benefit of hot water
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:25:03 am »
Ground floor a quick soak and scraper second floor Gardiner scraper quick and simple, is that the best you can offer for all the faffing about and £800 to £1000 a year in extra expenses, seriously put the money into a Xtreme pole or something that will
actually benefit your working day.
Not joking like most hot users (not all) you keep needing to sell it to yourself.

Dry Clean

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:49 am »
Sorry if that's sounds aggressive but the guy was knocking out 35 properties a day with cold so he was hardly getting
anything on the glass in large amounts that was hard to remove.
If he was working on the coast or similar and the conditions had been making his working day difficult  then I could certainly
understand the compulsion to push for using hot.
Iv said it before and Ill say it again, some people aren't happy unless they are making their lives as complicated as possible.

NWH

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:30:59 am »
Another WFPoler that's never used hot water then.

NWH

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 11:39:50 am »
Yeah hot waters rubbish why not just go round and scrape Windows and apply detergent first then go back round every window and clean them with cold water,makes perfect sense to me eh lol 😂 dear me.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:34:19 pm »

its better to use hot water than cold but the benefits are marginal compared to the  ongoing expenses(gas or diesel),initial investment  and the general faffing about IMO.

especially if most of your work is 4/6/8 weekly maintenance cleans.

even with add ons like conny roofs your better off using customers outside taps(more pressure)and chemicals like virosol/CIF etc.the time saving is virtually nil using hot water compared to cold plus you save your pure water for window cleaning.

using a good brush and having a decent scraper fitted to your pole is more important than cleaning with hot water.
price higher/work harder!

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »

its better to use hot water than cold but the benefits are marginal compared to the  ongoing expenses(gas or diesel),initial investment  and the general faffing about IMO.

even with add ons like conny roofs your better off using customers outside taps(more pressure)and chemicals like virosol/CIF etc.the time saving is virtually nil using hot water compared to cold plus you save your pure water for window cleaning.

using a good brush and having a decent scraper fitted to your pole is more important than cleaning with hot water.
from a cleaner that's used both hot and cold lol

SB Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 12:50:48 pm »

You just keep telling yourself that Daz ;D

I reckon you'll be back on hot by crimbo ;D :D

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 12:51:37 pm »
I think the benefits are massive myself , after using hot and then deciding not to use it anymore i put the boiler in the shed and forgot about it , i then put it in the new van just to see what i was missing , i can honestly say that i wont be taking it out again the list of pros is huge compared to the only con , which is gas cost and that is not worth worrying about , i pay £29 for 13kg and that will do me over a month  :o :o :o , surely i will go bust with that kind of overhead !

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 01:10:55 pm »
Ground floor a quick soak and scraper second floor Gardiner scraper quick and simple, is that the best you can offer for all the faffing about and £800 to £1000 a year in extra expenses, seriously put the money into a Xtreme pole or something that will
Not joking like most hot users (not all) you keep needing to sell it to yourself.

Can you do my taxes mate, as you seem to pull figures from the air.

Dried on egg takes ages to scrape of and wash with cold. I spent many years on trad and cleaning egg trad style was the pits.  Soaking it with cold water and waiting and then scrubing whilst hoping not to scratch the glass then soaking and rinsing and hoping youve got it all off.
Thankfully i never came across it whilst using cold on wfp because it would be just as hard.
Hot though, your not scrubbing away or waiting for it to soak in and certainly no worries of scratching the glass.

Im certainly not trying to convince myself that it was a good move going onto hot as i know it was a great move to do so. Its for people who may be considering doing so to hear how much better it is. Also how cheap it is to buy and fit and yes a little bit more on electric bill and for what.......for making work seem  effortlessly.

Or is it more like youve been cleaning windows for x amount of years and someone like me has upgraded from many yrs of trad to wfp and has experimented with it and now feel like i have a brilliant set up that works for me. Yes cleaning quite a number of houses per day and now doing so with such ease and without it feeling like work. Oh and yes without the water being the miraculous 000 as well. I used hot water and currently it is 006 in my tank.

So for the ones who are contemplating it, dont hesitate.
For the ones who dont care less, absolutely fine and continue to be hapoy working as i dont feel i need to be aggressive in  telling you your wrong as some may feel the need to tell me opposite
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:13:13 pm »

Can you do my taxes mate, as you seem to pull figures from the air.

Dried on egg takes ages to scrape of and wash with cold. I spent many years on trad and cleaning egg trad style was the pits.  Soaking it with cold water and waiting and then scrubing whilst hoping not to scratch the glass then soaking and rinsing and hoping youve got it all off.
In 6 years I've cleaned two windows with egg on.  ;D

martin hulstone

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 01:38:47 pm »
Not sure where i sit with the hot/cold argument but what i do know is that hot water does not clean anything better than cold water, ie washing yourself, it is the soap/shower gel/ that makes it quicker as it breaks things down, same as washing up.
I accept hot is more comfortable  to work with in cold weather and stops pipes freezing but do not agree it makes window cleaning soooo much quicker.

jk999

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 01:54:30 pm »
Nathan your using the heater element ain't you how hot does your water get and how long does it stay warm and what size element did you get

Smurf

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 02:02:24 pm »
Not sure where i sit with the hot/cold argument but what i do know is that hot water does not clean anything better than cold water, ie washing yourself, it is the soap/shower gel/ that makes it quicker as it breaks things down, same as washing up.
I accept hot is more comfortable  to work with in cold weather and stops pipes freezing but do not agree it makes window cleaning soooo much quicker.

This may change your mind. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Qanob6u_M

martin hulstone

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 02:15:58 pm »
Mmmm, yep, Ionics with an advert trying to get you to part with the best part of ten grand! as for the you would not wash your dishes in cold water malarkay, that is because hot water sterilizes the plates you eat from.

Tosh

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »
Water at 40/50  degrees or whatever you wash your dishes at doesn’t sterilise them.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

martin hulstone

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
Sorry Slacky, i was referring to the Ionics advert that shows the dishwasher.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:38 pm »

Nathan your using the heater element ain't you how hot does your water get and how long does it stay warm and what size element did you get

I have a 500l upright wydale tank. Which is wrapped in bubble silver backed insullation.
Its a 2kw 27inch immersion  which is virtually on the bottom of my tank. The thermostat is set to the highest.
The insulation holds the heat nicely. I turn it on via a timer at midnight untill either 7 or 8am. The temp gets above 50 degrees. To the point when i take the lid off in the morning to take temp, steam just bellows out.  At the end of the day, ie 8pm when i top my tank up ready for next day, the water is still in the 40's.

Heres a vid that i took early in week but didnt post. Just ignore last bit of waffle about internet (it was just a dig at something said a while back on another thread)
https://youtu.be/cB2kkIfEtWk
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 02:52:52 pm »
I think the benefits are massive myself , after using hot and then deciding not to use it anymore i put the boiler in the shed and forgot about it , i then put it in the new van just to see what i was missing , i can honestly say that i wont be taking it out again the list of pros is huge compared to the only con , which is gas cost and that is not worth worrying about , i pay £29 for 13kg and that will do me over a month  :o :o :o , surely i will go bust with that kind of overhead !

Rich

seriously the benefits are not "massive" mate.ive been using hot water on and off for several years and the difference is marginal.the time saved is non existent when you take into consideration changing gas bottles for example and draining heaters down and the general faffing about.its not worth it.

i was spending £500-£600 a year just on gas alone.over the course of 5 years its £2,500-£3,000.enough for a decent luxury holiday with the missus or whatever you fancy spending it on.

also the risk of a gas leak is very real and potentially setting fire to your van while your working around the back of a property(using cheap gas heaters).

also my brushes were curling up at the edges very quickly.i never made any more money using hot water compared to cold either! ;D
price higher/work harder!

jo5hm4n

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 03:03:09 pm »
Right, i haven't used hot water before, but in my mind the benefits of just using hot water on those freezing cold days in winter alone seem like a good enough reason to have hot.  From December to February, i literally hate going out every morning when its freezing cold, fingers numb and falling off using cold and literally almost in pain.  I'd happily upgrade to hot water just to warm the pole up and keep myself warmer in the winter months, sacking the benefits of using hot water off for a minute  ;D ;D ;D

That's just me though, im a wimp, don't deal with the cold very well and hate having freezing hands  ;D ;D