This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

jk999

Re: another benefit of hot water
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 03:39:49 pm »
Nathan are you having a ball pool party with that tank lol 😁

nathankaye

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 03:40:45 pm »
Right, i haven't used hot water before, but in my mind the benefits of just using hot water on those freezing cold days in winter alone seem like a good enough reason to have hot.  From December to February, i literally hate going out every morning when its freezing cold, fingers numb and falling off using cold and literally almost in pain.  I'd happily upgrade to hot water just to warm the pole up and keep myself warmer in the winter months, sacking the benefits of using hot water off for a minute  ;D ;D ;D

That's just me though, im a wimp, don't deal with the cold very well and hate having freezing hands  ;D ;D

This is the main reason i went hot, i upgraded from trad to wfp to make my life easier. But then come winter n cold im glad not to be holding cold ladders. Yet my hoses became stiffer and poles cold and i ididnt relish the thought of going to work. So i thought i would get into hot water. I have and theres no turning back, yes for the ease and yes it helps at the cleaning end as well. Due to this forum ive sorted out a motor on my hose reel as well. So just over £100 to get hot water sorted and an electric reel. No i enjoy my doddle of a job,
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

tlwcs

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 05:50:35 pm »
Ground floor a quick soak and scraper second floor Gardiner scraper quick and simple, is that the best you can offer for all the faffing about and £800 to £1000 a year in extra expenses, seriously put the money into a Xtreme pole or something that will
actually benefit your working day.
Not joking like most hot users (not all) you keep needing to sell it to yourself.

Can you do my taxes mate, as you seem to pull figures from the air.

Dried on egg takes ages to scrape of and wash with cold. I spent many years on trad and cleaning egg trad style was the pits.  Soaking it with cold water and waiting and then scrubing whilst hoping not to scratch the glass then soaking and rinsing and hoping youve got it all off.
In 6 years I've cleaned two windows with egg on.  ;D
They must have been very big
 :D

NWH

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
I use £20 worth of diesel to power my heater every 3 weeks so pittance,if your comparing immersion temp to on demand it's chalk and cheese,warm and hot clean differently.

Splash & dash

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »
Have to say hot is the way to go but as for removing dried on eggs I think you would still need a scraper and de greaser of some sort as they leave a very greasy film on the glass that you will spread to other windows if you arnt carefully , that's what I found anyway

bobplum

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2017, 07:00:34 pm »
I think the benefits are massive myself , after using hot and then deciding not to use it anymore i put the boiler in the shed and forgot about it , i then put it in the new van just to see what i was missing , i can honestly say that i wont be taking it out again the list of pros is huge compared to the only con , which is gas cost and that is not worth worrying about , i pay £29 for 13kg and that will do me over a month  :o :o :o , surely i will go bust with that kind of overhead !

Rich

we pay £29 for 19kg, you want to shop around

keyser soze

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2017, 07:27:40 pm »
i used to have hot but got rid because it is expensive .its nice to have in the winter but found i didn't need or justify having it , i made my mind up when my heater caught fire and lucky enough i caught it and put it out with my hose . it didn't go out easy

P @ F

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 01:12:07 pm »
I think the benefits are massive myself , after using hot and then deciding not to use it anymore i put the boiler in the shed and forgot about it , i then put it in the new van just to see what i was missing , i can honestly say that i wont be taking it out again the list of pros is huge compared to the only con , which is gas cost and that is not worth worrying about , i pay £29 for 13kg and that will do me over a month  :o :o :o , surely i will go bust with that kind of overhead !

Rich

seriously the benefits are not "massive" mate.ive been using hot water on and off for several years and the difference is marginal.the time saved is non existent when you take into consideration changing gas bottles for example and draining heaters down and the general faffing about.its not worth it.

i was spending £500-£600 a year just on gas alone.over the course of 5 years its £2,500-£3,000.enough for a decent luxury holiday with the missus or whatever you fancy spending it on.

also the risk of a gas leak is very real and potentially setting fire to your van while your working around the back of a property(using cheap gas heaters).

also my brushes were curling up at the edges very quickly.i never made any more money using hot water compared to cold either! ;D
Where is the faffing around , i have not ever drained the heater down , my brushes dont curl up , cost is £29 a month , im warm , it cleans better , changing the bottle takes 1 minute , hoses are managable , for me its more a comfort thing , i have always hated the cold to the point it would make me go home , now that i am going to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life its more a must , its the game changer for me to be warm .

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 01:21:13 pm »

Rich

we pay £29 for 19kg, you want to shop around
I see what you are saying Bob , i had a transporter and used a 19kg , i now have a fiat fiorino and all i can fit in is a 13kg , plus i use the patio gas bottle with the quick change regulator , one reason for change over time and another for the fact that i can and do totally disconect whenever the van moves , there could always be room for Daz's situation to happen , but that is a risk for any gas user , whatever the application .

What did happen exactly Daz ?

Rich
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Tosh

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 01:41:07 pm »
i used to have hot but got rid because it is expensive .its nice to have in the winter but found i didn't need or justify having it , i made my mind up when my heater caught fire and lucky enough i caught it and put it out with my hose . it didn't go out easy

I always run my pump on max, for this reason. Nothing to do with speeding the rinse up.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2017, 04:07:30 pm »
The way in which ive chosen to heat my water means a low initial set up cost. Ive not used it long enough to get the actual daily cost but im not overly fussed with that.  Over the winter n damp months and especially with a young family, se have the heating on in the house quite a bit. Then theres the cost of using the tumble dryer virtually daily etc and then come warmer months my electric bill (like mosts) will decrease quite a bit. So adding a slight running cost of the immersion heater from midnight at the cheaper rates isnt going to blow the budget for the comfort and benefits of using hot water throughout the warmer months as well.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

trippyboy

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »
Ground floor a quick soak and scraper second floor Gardiner scraper quick and simple, is that the best you can offer for all the faffing about and £800 to £1000 a year in extra expenses, seriously put the money into a Xtreme pole or something that will
actually benefit your working day.
Not joking like most hot users (not all) you keep needing to sell it to yourself.
The outlay is tiny compared to the high turnover most business like windows cleaners get pa

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2017, 10:01:01 pm »
What's a high turnover for a one man band window cleaner though?40k-45k?by the time taxes,insurances and expenses have been deducted your left with about 30k profit.it's hardly a fortune!no point adding to your expenses  if it isn't necessary.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2017, 10:23:22 pm »
What's a high turnover for a one man band window cleaner though?40k-45k?by the time taxes,insurances and expenses have been deducted your left with about 30k profit.it's hardly a fortune!no point adding to your expenses  if it isn't necessary.

Guessing its time people switched to old school n use immersion heaters instead 😂😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Tosh

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 12:03:21 am »

But Dazmond youre always buying stuff and saying it's about having the best gear.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2017, 07:36:16 am »

But Dazmond youre always buying stuff and saying it's about having the best gear.

i agree in regards to decent poles and brushes but hot water is different as gas heaters are not safe IMO.so whats left?diesel heaters?very expensive for very little added benefit esp if you change your van every 5 years.

immersion maybe an option but  its only for comfort when winter working really.
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2017, 09:29:09 am »
Once upon a time, before gas central heating came out. People used coal fires to heat their homes or coal fire central heating units but they also had immersion heaters as a source of hot water. Im sure some on here remember those days. Now correct me if im wrong, but did people only use the emmersion heater when they wanted warm or tepid water for a bath????..........errrrrrm NO!! I believe they were used to get HOT water. Gas boilers only replaced these as they were more efficient at heating the sater as and when instead of storing a huge quantity of hot water.
Ok im biased, but if people honestly dont know how to produce very hot water in their tanks (especially due to being tight fisted) with emmersion heaters than something is drastically wrong with them.

facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:32 am »
Just stick a wood or coal burner coil in yer van... sorted lol

Dry Clean

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 10:03:15 am »
Once upon a time, before gas central heating came out. People used coal fires to heat their homes or coal fire central heating units but they also had immersion heaters as a source of hot water. Im sure some on here remember those days. Now correct me if im wrong, but did people only use the emmersion heater when they wanted warm or tepid water for a bath????..........errrrrrm NO!! I believe they were used to get HOT water. Gas boilers only replaced these as they were more efficient at heating the sater as and when instead of storing a huge quantity of hot water.
Ok im biased, but if people honestly dont know how to produce very hot water in their tanks (especially due to being tight fisted) with emmersion heaters than something is drastically wrong with them.

If you can put your hand in the tank then its warm water and certainly not hot enough to make any real difference to a difficult
clean.
Household immersion heaters where very similar to a electric shower powerful and designed to give a on demand hot water
supply or backup to the main hot water supplier which would have been a boiler at the back off the coal fire, you certainly
wouldn't have wanted to use them as a bath water heater, expensive.

nathankaye

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 11:56:11 am »
Good job ive not put my hand in tank then. However i have stuck my hand very quickly into a coal fire before. Accidently dropped something in once, that was fun 😲
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk