This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard James

Flushing?
« on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:02 pm »
Ionics 400ltr RO/DI, usually flushed before each fill, but recently another shiner has been telling me I should "pure water" flush it, so flush it from the 000 rather than from the feed "as told by the factory".

I've used other systems before and never heard of it, but he's adamant that anything other than a "pure water flush" will f#%k up the membrane.

It's just bugging me now, so I want to settle the argument.

Cheers.

Splash & dash

Re: Flushing?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:02:01 pm »
You will be ok flushing with tap water , but doing it with pure is like the "gold standard" and will remove more impurities from the membrain , by doing it with pure one a week my membrane lasted 10 years , I do however have a low tap water tds

Lee GLS

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:01 am »
I didn't flush my 4040 for 5 years and it only now I have replaced it, it was still producing water at 25 from 375, so not exactly knackered. The membranes are constantly being flushed while in use, that's what the waste water is.

Dry Clean

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:05:53 am »
All your waste water is flushed water, all a full flush does is cause turbulence on the outer surface of the membrane
to free up any larger particles that may have attached themselves to it.
You will need the full force from the tap to achieve this and pure isn't needed.
A membrane doesn't trap and hold impurities/waste like a filter it just stops them getting through.

Richard James

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:44 pm »
Cheers.
I knew it was b******s.

andyM

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 07:13:16 am »
I don't bother flushing.
One of the Plebs

Don Kee

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:23:55 am »
I don't bother flushing.

Your toilet must stink....
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
All your waste water is flushed water, all a full flush does is cause turbulence on the outer surface of the membrane
to free up any larger particles that may have attached themselves to it.
You will need the full force from the tap to achieve this and pure isn't needed.
A membrane doesn't trap and hold impurities/waste like a filter it just stops them getting through.

Spot on I think.

I only flush for about 5 mins before I make 1000 litres of pure and I've had my 4040 membrane 7 years.

June from Gaps Water told me to flush before rather than after making pure as it brings down that first high temporary tds quicker and in my experience I've found she's right.

She also said your waste to pure ratio should have enough waste flowing over the top of the membrane to keep it clean. Have never seen the point of flushing memranes for hours or new pre filter(s).

Also a lot of windies get confused with a backwash which is totally different and is for regenerating your water softener resin with salt water.

A lot of myths about I think.