Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Suffolkcleaners

TDS question
« on: March 09, 2017, 05:24:34 pm »
Hi guys. Just out of curiosity what is the difference between say working with 000 or 006?

I've been working with 006 this week and have to say I've had no spotting at all. So what is the advantage of actually having it at 000? Are certain windows likely to spot on say a TDS of 006 and not 000?

Obviously I prefer to have piece of mind In knowing the water is as pure as you can get but was just curious.

p1w1

Re: TDS question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 05:29:25 pm »
6-7ppm is actually when i change my resin as a rule. In the past ive worked up to 15ppm with no problems but as you say its piece of mind working with 0 and if there are problems  at least you can rule the water out if always working with 0.  But i quite happily use 006 water and never had complaints.

Marc Stock

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 05:54:14 pm »
Hi guys. Just out of curiosity what is the difference between say working with 000 or 006?

I've been working with 006 this week and have to say I've had no spotting at all. So what is the advantage of actually having it at 000? Are certain windows likely to spot on say a TDS of 006 and not 000?

Obviously I prefer to have piece of mind In knowing the water is as pure as you can get but was just curious.

Tds is basicly a calculation of the measured conductivity, multiplied by the correlation factor. Really, if you are advertising as using pure water for window cleaning, anything above 0 microseimens, or 000 ppm you are technically not using pure water and believe it or not, if your customers were to find out that your not keeping on top of your water quality, they could go to trading standards about you.
Granted... this is unlikely, but still a possibility.

Ask yourself do you really want to risk it? I always change my water as soon as it hits 1.

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 06:04:10 pm »

Tds is basicly a calculation of the measured conductivity, multiplied by the correlation factor. Really, if you are advertising as using pure water for window cleaning, anything above 0 microseimens, or 000 ppm you are technically not using pure water and believe it or not, if your customers were to find out that your not keeping on top of your water quality, they could go to trading standards about you.

Ask yourself do you really want to risk it? I always change my water as soon as it hits 1.

There is no such thing as pure water used for window cleaning. Purified yes maybe but Pure defo is it not.

p1w1

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »

There is no such thing as pure water used for window cleaning. Purified yes maybe but Pure defo is it not.
Exactly. doesn't matter if it goes above 0 if your calling it pure or not its only purified water else technically you cant say 0 is pure  , its only a measurement of the waters purity.

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:44:55 pm »
I don't know who would actually check your water. Can't see the trading standard thing happening unless you get a real fruit loop of a customer.

I was just curious as 006 as not left a single mark and cleans fantastically so was just wondering if 000 would make much difference to perhaps certain Windows that are more likely to spot? Like old sash windows for example?

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:34 pm »
Ps. I've bought a new Di which has got my TDS down to 000 so I'm happier to work with this but it was purely out of  curiosity if it actually made any difference.

p1w1

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:51:14 pm »
Ps. I've bought a new Di which has got my TDS down to 000 so I'm happier to work with this but it was purely out of  curiosity if it actually made any difference.
save your old di vessel if its a decent size and double up this will let you get more out of your resin. So when your current resin starts to creep up you can swap the vessels around.

Don Kee

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 06:53:44 pm »
Not with a crappy 1litre DI it wont
Why don't you have a quick google before making stupid comments?

p1w1

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 06:54:34 pm »
Not with a crappy 1litre DI it wont
lol thought it would have been bigger

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 07:20:16 pm »
Could be wrong on numbers, going from memory.
Under perfect conditions and you use your water on a sheet of glass. You wouldnt be able to see the particles left after the water has dried untill its close to 050.
But that is under perfect conditions.
Not taking into account dirst/dust on window (as in not rinsed properly) oils from seals, dirt on frames etc etc.

Ive had my water above 010 and has been ok. To the point i dont always use di resin to polish of the water. But my work is regular 4 weekly cleans.

I would love to see the first customer to come out with a tds stick and ask to check the quality of anyone's water before cleaning their windows 😂😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

ben M

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 08:16:16 pm »

stop talking rubbish!

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »
Still no real logical answer as to whether working at say 006 instead of 000 is any worse? Apart from peace of mind. Would certain types of Windows perhaps be more prone to spotting on say a 006 reading to a 000 reading? I know the nice and easy white upvc modern windows always come up nice. Sometimes sash Windows can be a bummer but mainly on badly painted ones.(I have an ultimate flocked brush on standby for these-still haven't tried the brush yet)

Matt.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 09:13:44 pm »
006 is ok but keep an eye on it now that it has started to rise, i would allow it to go to 010 then change it over

p1w1

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:57 pm »
Still no real logical answer as to whether working at say 006 instead of 000 is any worse? Apart from peace of mind. Would certain types of Windows perhaps be more prone to spotting on say a 006 reading to a 000 reading? I know the nice and easy white upvc modern windows always come up nice. Sometimes sash Windows can be a bummer but mainly on badly painted ones.(I have an ultimate flocked brush on standby for these-still haven't tried the brush yet)
Truth is nobody really knows..we are only window cleaners you know its just magic water.. splash n dash and grab the cash is my motto  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:21:47 pm »
i keep mine under 010 tds.(most of the time its 000).dont skimp on water and use brushes in good condition and you ll very rarely get problems with spotting etc
price higher/work harder!

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:12 pm »

If  the water doesn't spot when dry then it wont spot when dry under any circumstance, keeping the water at 000 wont
make a problematic window any less problematic.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:19:46 am »
There are some factors which come into play, ie condition of the seals etc, but this is taken under consideration of how good the window cleaner is and also the technique in which he or she cleans and to that point you should be able to continue cleaning when water is 020 for instance.

The magic 000 is mostly the confidence boosters in salesmen's pitches of old, to prevent any comebacks and money lost to them as they would argue water quality.
Some on here also swear of the magic 000 and never let their water go above, well that is their choice to throw good money into expensive RO's or bags n bags of resin.  However a bad technique even using 000 can leave spots.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Marc Stock

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 07:17:23 am »
There are some factors which come into play, ie condition of the seals etc, but this is taken under consideration of how good the window cleaner is and also the technique in which he or she cleans and to that point you should be able to continue cleaning when water is 020 for instance.

The magic 000 is mostly the confidence boosters in salesmen's pitches of old, to prevent any comebacks and money lost to them as they would argue water quality.
Some on here also swear of the magic 000 and never let their water go above, well that is their choice to throw good money into expensive RO's or bags n bags of resin.  However a bad technique even using 000 can leave spots.

Thats very true, and even though my opinion has been dismissed by a couple on here. My point is if you exercise best practice, and try to stay at 0 then technically speaking, you are doing your best to use the best quality water possible.  That's what i do and if some on here want to clean at 5 or 25 ppm that's upto them,  it doesn't matter to me.

Now the other subject is hydrophilic and hydrophobic glass. The latter is more likely to spot if you do get any.

Dry Clean

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 08:03:23 am »

Thats very true, and even though my opinion has been dismissed by a couple on here. My point is if you exercise best practice, and try to stay at 0 then technically speaking, you are doing your best to use the best quality water possible.  That's what i do and if some on here want to clean at 5 or 25 ppm that's upto them,  it doesn't matter to me.

Now the other subject is hydrophilic and hydrophobic glass. The latter is more likely to spot if you do get any.

Obviously you guys don't fully understand the concept of using filtered water, unfiltered tap water spots because of the dissolved impurities in the water that show on the glass when the water has dried, once you get this level down to the point where they cant be seen should that be 006 or whatever then nothing can change that.
The water doesn't clean any better or cause less problems with things like dodgy seals hydrophobic glass just because you filtered it to 000.