This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

BKHM

another newbie sorry
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
Hi guys, so after flicking through pages upon pages on this forum I thought right, I best get my self signed up to the banter bus. these questions have probably been asked a million times so apologies if you are repeating yourself.

I am  22 and already had enough of busting my B**LS just to put money into somebody else's wallet. ( I sell bathrooms )

I am based just outside Birmingham, in a town called Cannock if any body knows it ( its a shame if you do )

I am a newbie so please do go easy on me if you can manage to contain yourselves  ;)

I will be looking at offering customers trad and wfp
I have been practicing on friends and family windows using trad methods I wouldn't say im absolutely useless but I wouldn't say im the dogs dangleys either. I certainly don't want to be one of these who cleans a 4 bed semi for £4  ;D in fact id like to be quite the opposite offering internal and external glass and frame detailing.

any tips, useful advice, supplier website links and a bit of jargon buster,  and what wfp equipment you are using and possibly the costs ? basically anything that will aid me in starting up my new venture.

Many thanks, Ben

( let the banter begin I suppose )  ;D

Stoots

Re: another newbie sorry
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:34 pm »
I would forget trad, it's not much more expensive to go wfp. Its more dangerous, slower and harder on the body. I rrally don't see the point in it. It may or may not be worth learning the skill if you plan on doing insides but personally i started out wfp and had no need for it. I did buy some trad gear at a later date in case it ever came in handy but apart from the odd inside which I no longer do and a couple of shop fronts which I also no longer do I never really use trad gear.

Its up to you of course but wfp I'd cheap as chips to get into.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:48:26 pm »
Welcome to the forum or should I say the mad house.  lol

BKHM

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
thanks guys much appreciated.
any useful websites/suppliers who you would recommend to get wfp system ?
also do you ever do trad on the bottom and wfp on tops

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 01:30:30 pm »
Most popular supplier for water fed poles would be http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/
For wfp van mounts  https://www.grippatank.co.uk/ seems a popular choice at the mo.

Trad does have it's place but once going wfp  you will soon want to wfp everything not just tops.

tlwcs

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 04:58:14 pm »
How am ya?
You tube might help your trad technique.

jo5hm4n

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:22:47 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  If you can call it that, its more like a playground full of kids with ADHD.

I got my WFP system from Pure Freedom, which are fairly reasonable with pricing, they kitted and fitted out my van, for much cheaper than some of the big names you hear on the forum.  All of which do a good job, but some are just overkill if you are starting out and dont have the cashflow.  Birmingham, there is a firm called Xline Systems based some where in your area i think, they were my 2nd choice as there systems look really good.  Maybe give them a call and ask for some advice, or get them to put a price together for you for a full package.

Dont bother with trad, i did for 2 years and looking back it was a waste of time, WFP all the way, longterm much more benefits all round.  If you dont have any cashflow though, then start trad only on bungalows, then get yourself a trolley system and start doing upstairs with that, trad downstairs, until you get enough money saved away for a van mount.

Ultimately though, it will be cheaper longterm to just invest in a van mount straight away, as you will make so much more per day/week/month.

Buy yourself a TDS Meter online, to test if your water is hard or soft, this will help determine what type of filtration setup you need.  Once again though, if you phone any of the suppliers, ask to speak to somebody that can help out a "newbie" and give you advice on everything you need to get started.

Good luck!

;D ;D ;D ;D

CF Facilities

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:31 pm »
When I first started I used The Cleaning Warehouse in Wolverhampton which is not far from you. Pop in and see what they can offer. They do complete packages for start ups. They were great but sold me a 27ft fibre glass pole which was a nightmare to use. I was so pleased when it broke.

Also xline seem quite good they are in Ilkeston not too far from you.

I started with a water genie trolley about 6 years ago now I use the trolley as a van mount and it is still working well.

All the best in your new venture.

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »
If I were you I would try and beg a day out with a window cleaner who uses wfp. See if you can help them out for a day, or pay them to take you out (buy them a big brekkie or something).  Don't pick one near you, because you will be their competition, so try to pick one about 20 miles away or so. That's the best way to learn. It will be a day well spent, I promise you.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

elite mike

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:05:57 pm »
Xline are doing some cracking deals at the moment .

Marc Stock

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:19 pm »
Hi Ben

Be prepared to be

Messed about alot
very persistent
Poor for minimum 2 years, but sometimes it can take upto 5 years to establish a stable round
Working harder and earning less to start with
Put up with bad weather, and if possible try to work in it
Have thick skin

Remember your customers are..

Not your mates
Not your customers
Always right
A pain in the bum
Prepared to drop you at the slightest  show of attitude or disrespect
Expecting you to do the job you agreed to do and not the job you feel like doing

Dont be

Tempted to undercut the competition, it will backfire on you years down the line when your breaking  your back to do £1000 a week and the competition is making the same only 3 days a week 10am till 3pm (slight exaggeration but you get the picture)

Expecting to become wealthy in 5 years, realisticly speaking if you make £18k in your 1st year you are really being exceptionally successful. On average expect to add between 8k and 14k a year of new custom and loose approx £500-£1000 a year on messers, cancellations and pop offs (death)

Tempted to buy expensive branded water fed kit, its all a waste of money and a con. Just spend money on a good gardiners pole, and build your own setup.

Tempted to work youself to the ground and chase the money i did it.. and even though i hit just under £60k turnover on my own just before 2008, i ended up bankrupt due to tax debt,  divorced due to neglecting my relationship , and fried suffering from mental ilness. Now i keep it simpler.

Do..

Be on time
Stick to your word
Be structured
Be fair
Honest

And above all

Smile... always smile when you see your customers even if they pee you right off. Remember they are your living, you are not your own boss, and you don't have just one boss to please,  each and every customer is your boss. Remember that.

I started when i was your age, good luck im 37 this year.

colin bird

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »
Hi Ben

Be prepared to be

Messed about alot
very persistent
Poor for minimum 2 years, but sometimes it can take upto 5 years to establish a stable round
Working harder and earning less to start with
Put up with bad weather, and if possible try to work in it
Have thick skin

Remember your customers are..

Not your mates
Not your customers
Always right
A pain in the bum
Prepared to drop you at the slightest  show of attitude or disrespect
Expecting you to do the job you agreed to do and not the job you feel like doing

Dont be

Tempted to undercut the competition, it will backfire on you years down the line when your breaking  your back to do £1000 a week and the competition is making the same only 3 days a week 10am till 3pm (slight exaggeration but you get the picture)

Expecting to become wealthy in 5 years, realisticly speaking if you make £18k in your 1st year you are really being exceptionally successful. On average expect to add between 8k and 14k a year of new custom and loose approx £500-£1000 a year on messers, cancellations and pop offs (death)

Tempted to buy expensive branded water fed kit, its all a waste of money and a con. Just spend money on a good gardiners pole, and build your own setup.

Tempted to work youself to the ground and chase the money i did it.. and even though i hit just under £60k turnover on my own just before 2008, i ended up bankrupt due to tax debt,  divorced due to neglecting my relationship , and fried suffering from mental ilness. Now i keep it simpler.

Do..

Be on time
Stick to your word
Be structured
Be fair
Honest

And above all

Smile... always smile when you see your customers even if they pee you right off. Remember they are your living, you are not your own boss, and you don't have just one boss to please,  each and every customer is your boss. Remember that.

I started when i was your age, good luck im 37 this year.

In my opinion good advice

colin bird

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:38 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  If you can call it that, its more like a playground full of kids with ADHD.

I got my WFP system from Pure Freedom, which are fairly reasonable with pricing, they kitted and fitted out my van, for much cheaper than some of the big names you hear on the forum.  All of which do a good job, but some are just overkill if you are starting out and dont have the cashflow.  Birmingham, there is a firm called Xline Systems based some where in your area i think, they were my 2nd choice as there systems look really good.  Maybe give them a call and ask for some advice, or get them to put a price together for you for a full package.

Dont bother with trad, i did for 2 years and looking back it was a waste of time, WFP all the way, longterm much more benefits all round.  If you dont have any cashflow though, then start trad only on bungalows, then get yourself a trolley system and start doing upstairs with that, trad downstairs, until you get enough money saved away for a van mount.

Ultimately though, it will be cheaper longterm to just invest in a van mount straight away, as you will make so much more per day/week/month.

Buy yourself a TDS Meter online, to test if your water is hard or soft, this will help determine what type of filtration setup you need.  Once again though, if you phone any of the suppliers, ask to speak to somebody that can help out a "newbie" and give you advice on everything you need to get started.

Good luck!

;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quo

Also good advice in my opinion

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:54:20 pm »
If you dont have the funds for a professional system just do as i did an" diy"one, super simple and a fraction of the cost!

Will get you up and running and making money for a proper one in 6-12 months.

slap bash

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 08:30:13 am »
The very first and foremost thing to do is finding paying customers. All the rest comes second.
This will be so for most of your window cleaning career.

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 09:06:20 am »
This makes for an interesting watch and might get you thinking
https://youtu.be/bKb-sjFf5mc
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

BKHM

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:23 am »
If you dont have the funds for a professional system just do as i did an" diy"one, super simple and a fraction of the cost!

Thanks for the advice. I know I live in a very hard water area so I believe I will need an ro system are there any videos/instructions on how to make a diy one until I can fund a 'proper one'

thanks

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 10:57:02 am »
This makes for an interesting watch and might get you thinking
https://youtu.be/bKb-sjFf5mc

Thanks for the advice. I know I live in a very hard water area so I believe I will need an ro system are there any videos/instructions on how to make a diy one until I can fund a 'proper one'

thanks

Have u watched the video on link. A chap set one up cheap as chips, just expand on that.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Soupy

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:59:59 am »
Hmmm, Birmingham.

436 miles away.

Welcome to the forum!!
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.