Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Cottam

Removing tar from commercial carpet tiles
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:04 am »

Hello all

I've just had a call to go and survey an office, which has been blessed with tar on their carpet tiles ...  :( :(

No pictures yet, but wondered what methods you seasoned cleaners have used to remove tar??

'Tar' very much  :D

Mike Cottam

Hilton

Re: Removing tar from commercial carpet tiles
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:56:53 pm »
Are the tiles bitumen backed or rubber ?

Raymondo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:20 pm »
You need to work out whether its tar that has been walked in if so a gel based citrus product should remove it.

It could be that someone has tried to removes a mark using something like white spirits and loosen the bitumen backing on the tiles.

Always use a gel based products that sits on the surface and don't leave it to sink into the backing.

Mike Cottam

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:27:20 pm »

Thanks Raymondo.

Hilton - not sure until I go to see the job tomorrow. I just wanted to get general feedback of what you guys had used to tackle tar-related jobs.
Mike Cottam

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:20:24 am »
depends how much tar thee is..ifs it a load then i walk....not worth the time ...move onto easy jobs

Mike Cottam

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:29:14 pm »
Thanks guys... I viewed the job and walked away. A mixture of tar and oil on an already threadbare commercial carpet was ringing alarm bells, made even worse by the fact it was an insurance company... they would have expected miracles.
Mike Cottam