Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

duncan h

travel time
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:45:28 pm »
Whats the distance you travel on most days.
just been offered a cheap round, but it would involve 45 min blast on motorway to get to the job. Then after a days work, same back.
Also the massive amount of vehicle costs

Cookie

Re: travel time
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:10:03 pm »
According to the Mail online the average daily commute is 1 hour 38 mins (thank goodness I don't have to do this every day!):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3335945/Britain-s-average-daily-commute-ONE-HOUR-38-MINUTES.html

For most of my round I travel roughly 20 minutes each way with a small amount of driving in between cleans. I suppose you have to weigh up your earnings vs. your work/travel time. Is this blast down the motorway going to involve getting held up in traffic jams, delays etc or is it a fairly easy run? It's sometimes quite nice to start & finish the working day with an easy run, radio on etc... helps you wind down before facing the wife, children ;D

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 04:40:35 pm »
just been offered a cheap round, but it would involve 45 min blast on motorway to get to the job. Then after a days work, same back.

Travel costs/time etc is relative to net profit surely?
Like for instance would you travel 45 mins each way to earn say 1k net?... I'm guessing the answer would be hell yes.
On the other hand would you still be that keen to travel 45 mins each way for say £200?

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:55:03 pm »

Travel costs/time etc is relative to net profit surely?
Like for instance would you travel 45 mins each way to earn say 1k net?... I'm guessing the answer would be hell yes.
On the other hand would you still be that keen to travel 45 mins each way for say £200?

Also hell yes .... depending on how long it would take to earn the £200

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »
At least 1.5 hours longer that's for sure + wear & tear on yer van  ;D
I remember doing one job yonks ago but it cost more than the job was worth after a little mishap when I revesed into a car. ..Oops! that was not one of my better days  ::)roll

Marc Whitbread

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
We would but it would have to cover the travel time and fuel

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »
Thank fully all my work is local ish to me (kept it that way for collecting purposes over the many yrs). But now with different payment options, im not against traveling if the money is right.
So agree with above comments, depends on how long the work will take and for what income, offset against travel time n costs.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 06:01:56 pm »
Obviously new quotes you can indeed add travel time, added cost etc to the job which most would do automatically anyway to make it worth their while.

However going back to the op buying a so say cheap round miles away it would have to be top dollar pricing to make it worth your while surely?

Then there is no guarantee buying that round will live up to your expected earnings from it as most try to sell off crap they don't want anymore. Some have even been conned into parting with their money with so say customer lists that are out of date and/or even bogus too.

duncan h

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:14 pm »
Obviously new quotes you can indeed add travel time, added cost etc to the job which most would do automatically anyway to make it worth their while.

However going back to the op buying a so say cheap round miles away it would have to be top dollar pricing to make it worth your while surely?

Then there is no guarantee buying that round will live up to your expected earnings from it as most try to sell off crap they don't want anymore. Some have even been conned into parting with their money with so say customer lists that are out of date and/or even bogus too.
Its a genuine sale. Selling it all off. Hes in trouble with the Police lmao. Down side is its traditional, so would loose a few. Also 30 miles away. Upside only x3 cleans. Not many decent ones about at that price

CleanClear

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:10 pm »

Its a genuine sale. Selling it all off. Hes in trouble with the Police lmao. Down side is its traditional, so would loose a few. Also 30 miles away. Upside only x3 cleans. Not many decent ones about at that price

I'd go anywhere within reason for a days work, even a commute. But thats ringing my alarm bells for allsorts of different reasons.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 08:55:22 pm »
Think now  the subject tiltle should read not "travel time" but "doing time"   ;D ;D

lal

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:59:24 am »
Think now  the subject tiltle should read not "travel time" but "doing time"   ;D ;D

Hi Smurf, out of interest how do you calculate what to charge for Travel time, is it a set amount  per hour of time driving,
 or a combination of fuel used, sorry about all the questions, just wondering if I'm costing in enough for travel.
Regards
Lal

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 08:50:32 am »
15 mins at the most(to and from first/last job of the day) so 30 mins a day with the odd bit of driving in between some days.keeping my round nice and tight and compact works well for me.i dont want to be driving about half the day TBH.

some days i travel a few more miles in between commercial jobs but its only the odd day here and there. :)
price higher/work harder!