This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

W.booler

Back up.....
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:19:10 am »
Hi guys. I'm going to fit a second pump and controller.. I drive enough miles to charge up leisure battery every day... would you fit the back up system to existing battery, or could a situation arise where you'd be better connected to a separate battery? Thanks in advance 😊

Smurf

Re: Back up.....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:40:16 am »
Why not just set up a two man system with two of everything including an extra battery that gets trickle charged as you drive too.  That's probably the best backup you could have without having any downtime swoping bits over if/when they fail. Not only that might also come in handy in future when you want 2 working at the same time from the van.

W.booler

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:19 pm »
Thanks for that Smurf... I didn't fit leisure battery (I paid someone)but I'm assuming that if I wire a second leisure battery from the van battery, exactly the same as the first one, with a fuse, then that's what you're suggesting?

Smurf

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:38:19 pm »
Best speak to the firm that fitted the other one for you as I'm not a qualified auto electrician.

W.booler

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 12:39:24 pm »
Will do. Ta  :)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 01:57:14 pm »
Thanks for that Smurf... I didn't fit leisure battery (I paid someone)but I'm assuming that if I wire a second leisure battery from the van battery, exactly the same as the first one, with a fuse, then that's what you're suggesting?

two leisure batterys is over kill . as long as the one you have is a good one then it will be fine , we run all our two men vans on just one leisure battery that's charged on a split charger and we never had any of them run down or never had to house charge them

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 03:40:24 pm »
Susan It may sound overkill to you but the chap was asking about best option for a backup. As far as built in redundancy is concerned two batteries are better than one.

W.booler

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:55:41 pm »
Thanks to both of you  :)

CleanClear

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 09:05:05 pm »
For a back up i have made several "pump boards", though you can also buy a pump box from any of the major WFP sellers. All i done was screw a surflo pump on a board, wire a controller to it. Fitted crocodile clips to the wires, and fitted hoselock connectors on the pump connections. That way it can clip to any battery, and plumb straight into any system with hozelocks in a few seconds.
 Thats as much as you need for a backup ?
 I don't get the whole need for a "second battery" as a backup, as thats a seperate issue. If you might need a backup battery then just carry one ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

W.booler

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 09:14:37 pm »
Thanks for that. I didn't know if a two man system could operate from one battery, and you and Susan have answered that for me...and Smurf has answered the question that the main battery can charge up two batteries, if I wanted to go down that route. Many thanks 😊

Matt.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »
I understand what ur saying, an the answer us yes u can run it to ur main battery in van, u could either just use a switch to turn it on or off or use a controller. I run from main battery as do a few miles

I have 2 pump set up but only use the one, second is set up as spare but gets used very really if I have 2 of us on the poles, or if I fill up with tap water I will run it through second pump di bottle back into tank, these pumps are bolted into bulk head as low down as pos.

Mine is diy set up and I use the space behind bottom of tank ( against bulk head ) were I have my pumps, wires are run from battery which is in the floor in front of passenger seats ( small cut into rubber floor ) for wires to run through, and drilled a few holes in bulk head for wires to go through.

W.booler

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 08:17:44 am »
I'll run it of one battery, and alternate pump and controller  every week or two... thanks for your help.