Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

edward1

van mounted hose reels
« on: October 12, 2016, 02:19:12 pm »
hi guys
do u have any pics of your v an mounted hose reels,
the reels with the guides fitted?

any pics would be much appreciated  if possible or email them to me if easier driscolleddsie@yahoo.co.uk

thanks
eddie

Smurf

Re: van mounted hose reels
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 02:39:06 pm »
I tried a fixed hose reel and to be honest I found it a real pain at times unwinding and realing in so went back to using it free standing outside the van. I supppose if you do large commercial stuff with clear access then would be a doddle to use but on domestic I found was more hassle than it was worth.

There is one chap going about local that has a fixed reel bolted to the outside of one of his rear doors that looks rather odd but he must like it that way.  ::)roll

p1w1

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 02:46:34 pm »
i have mine bolted to the base of a swival chair in the back so can point it in any direction needed, works a treat for me.

Soupy

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 02:50:35 pm »
i have mine bolted to the base of a swival chair in the back so can point it in any direction needed, works a treat for me.

I like it.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 03:01:03 pm »
Yes you could also put a house reels on some sort of pull out swivel that might make it a bit easier I guess.
There is a vid on tinternet of a yank showing his van setup with a pull out swivel hose reel that is probably where p1w1 got the idea from.

Soupy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 03:22:35 pm »

Roughly 250 degree angle covered, more (340ish) if you count the other reel.

Smurf

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:26:29 pm »
Nice one  ;)

edward1

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:13 pm »
I tried a fixed hose reel and to be honest I found it a real pain at times unwinding and realing in so went back to using it free standing outside the van. I supppose if you do large commercial stuff with clear access then would be a doddle to use but on domestic I found was more hassle than it was worth.

There is one chap going about local that has a fixed reel bolted to the outside of one of his rear doors that looks rather odd but he must like it that way.  ::)roll

thanks for your posts guys,my thoughts are that I may need 2 reels a regular one and a mounted one .I can c problems with the mounted reel .but if i can stop lifting it in and out half the time it should help .i seem to get a back issue i think from lifting trhe reel in and out all day .

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 03:45:40 pm »
I think it's just a matter of finding out what works best for you.

Some also like a to have the option of being able to take a reel out of the fixing brackets quickly for when they want to work with a hose reel  outside of the van rather than having to carry an extra reel.

Soupy

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »
thanks for your posts guys,my thoughts are that I may need 2 reels a regular one and a mounted one .I can c problems with the mounted reel .but if i can stop lifting it in and out half the time it should help .i seem to get a back issue i think from lifting trhe reel in and out all day .

Lifting might be the problem, I'd think it's more likely the bending/reeling that's the main problem.

Our reels are at just below shoulder height.

Smurf

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 04:01:43 pm »
I understand good ergonomics plays a part to help reduce stress (rsi) on the body. That is probably why most want some kind of fixed reel setup instead of humping a reel in/out of a vehical all day long and bending over to reel it in.

Og

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:28 pm »
I'm thinking of putting a plank spanning the wheel arches and fitting two side by side. Be nice to mount each of them on some sort of turntable which can be fixed in one position for transit.
Most jobs I just point the back of the van in the direction I want to pull hose from though.

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 09:30:51 am »
Does anyone use the n/s side door for hose reels? 
Reason why I ask is it not easier to run the hose out that way rather than from the back of the van.

I do like this reel concept but maybe not a great ideal for electric driven reels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCG0uL_DeYA

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 09:52:51 am »
Does anyone use the n/s side door for hose reels.  Reason why I ask is it not easier to run the hose out that way rather than from the back of the van? I do like this reel concept but maybe not a great ideal for electric driven reels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCG0uL_DeYA

In my vans I have one at the side one at the back.

Matt.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 01:19:27 pm »
I needed floor space an wanted hose reel fixed somewere .....

Could easy get 2 in there

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 01:46:00 pm »
Nice one Matt...I've seen a few vans about with ceiling mounted hose reels.

Oddest looking one I've seen to date is a van whith 4 hose reels mounted on a back door of a transit size van.
Looked like they just bolted and stacked them to a door ladder...very weird looking.

That reminder of the chap with a hose reel bolted to the back door of a berlingo I was saying about either. Seen him one day when I was stoped a junction go past with his hose dragging behind the van down the road. Oops!  but did make me chuckle all the same ;D

Smurf

Re: van mounted hose reels New
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 02:23:30 pm »
I was very surprised to see how well this hose reel setup worked as far as the different angles you could pull the hose out at. https://youtu.be/gMYxKpryYOc

I’m  sure clever forum user mentioned he has upgraded it since with better/stronger floor hose guides etc though.