Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

The 'new' bait & switch
« on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:05 pm »
This is an article by Jim pemberton which I have cut and pasted (you can read the article here...)

http://totallybookeduniversity.us10.list-manage.com/track/click?u=cca5620bc4d8cdc166af8e660&id=bb349b2edc&e=e017de2428

The New Bait & Switch!" Are You Guilty of This?

Occurs in most cases because of: 
       Equipment "fatigue", Operator "fatigue",
       Marketing "fatigue", Attitude "fatigue",
      Owner "fatigue", and of course - by design!

When the term “bait and switch” is used in the cleaning industry, it has nearly always been applied to cleaners who advertise a ridiculously low price, then use high pressure sales tactics to get the customer to buy additional services at a much higher price than they were lead to believe they would be paying.

There is, however, another nefarious sort of marketing misrepresentation going on in our industry that is just as or perhaps more damaging as the low price bait and switch tactics that we and the public in general understand.

I call it the “The Premium Service Bait and Switch”:

Cleaners who have developed marketing tactics that enable them to appeal to upscale consumers often build the value of their service by showing the customer that they do things other cleaners don't understand, or refuse to do,  and that provide a better cleaning result and therefore justify a much higher than average price.

Example Of The Cleaning Process A “High Value/Premium Priced Cleaner” Might Offer:

- Prevacuuming/Dry Soil Removal

- Application of a preconditioning detergent that is “green”/”non-toxic”, or in some other way people and pet friendly.

- Prescrubbing with a rotary scrubber or counter rotating brush machine

- Hot water extraction that leaves the carpet “residue free”, or nearly so.

- Corners and edges cleaned with a special hand tool

- Carpet Groomed

- Speed Drying

The Problem:

Unfortunately, in many cases cleaners either get tired of taking these extra steps (or their employees do), and what the cleaner ends up actually doing when they clean are perhaps one of two of the above steps, using products that are either cheap, more effective, or more easily available, and that aren't green/non toxic/pet friendly etc.

When a cleaner sells their service at a premium price, and sells the higher price as being of more value because of extra steps that are provided or extra services that are rendered, but the cleaner does not deliver the promised services, that must also be considered a type of "bait and switch”!

Unfortunately, too many cynical cleaners feel that they can get away with not performing what their marketing promised because their customer won't know the difference.  This is VERY dangerous thinking!

Today's consumer is far more informed and “savvy” than ever before!  Consumers have access to a great deal of information through the internet, and understand a great deal more about what good cleaners deliver, and what they have a right to expect than even just a few years ago.

When such a customer pays a premium price for cleaning, and when the results end up not being any better than a more moderately priced company, they will eventually find themselves going back to lower priced cleaners, and likely resenting the price that they paid for the service that was ultimately less than what was promised.

What's worse is that through YELP and other business directories they will readily post their dissatisfaction with the offending service company.

There is no argument that the cleaning industry is vastly under paid for its work.  Cleaners who can build the value of what they are doing by explaining how their cleaning is superior to the “norm” often will find they can get paid for the value of what they do.  But never, ever forget that if you do so, you must always deliver what you promised. 

Your reputation and your business future depend on it.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

Re: The 'new' bait & switch
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:09:00 pm »
With any cleaning job, its what you dont do that makes money.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

DB

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 07:05:01 pm »
But you then spend the extra dosh by marketing for new customers to replace the dissatisfied ones

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 08:32:01 am »
With any cleaning job, its what you dont do that makes money.

not just cleaning jobs though is it - any shortcuts save time and money on anything

Ian Harper

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:54:20 am »
The service offered might not be the service bought. thats what package selling is about.  customer can choose what level of service they want to buy.

Plus like it or not people are buying clean carpets they dont care how that happens. TM, portable, wet, dry, etc, etc

High end is about risk for them. they think its being reduced in some way by paying more. 

how many of you send out confirmation letters that have what is being done and not? whats expected of the customer for your arrival?  most of mine choose to vac, empty rooms, and dont want stain removal. they have a choice before i arrive to upgrade or cancel but choose not.

I spent years vacing, moving stuff and spending money and time on stain removal only to find out people dont care given to choice.

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 11:55:47 am »
so Ian you offer a package to 'just clean' which i assume is prespray and rinse?

so if there are things like blu tac, red wine etc that need more time you leave them unless you get paid extra? And preb vac isn't included?

interesting if thats the case. Would you divulge the difference in prices per sq foot?

benny d

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:12:56 pm »
How can people not want stain removal?
Surely it's all part of the cleaning?

PS- Dont call me Shirley ;D
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Mike Halliday

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 04:16:01 pm »
An examples of this modern bait & switch  was seen in the early  days of websites, I've forgotten how many times I saw a picture of a Prochem truckmount  on a Website of a company who owned a different machine (but didn't have a Picture to use)  or had the Prochem logo but used craftex chemicals, they  are all saying ....."we will use this " but are not doing what they say.

I'm as guilty as anyone. 2 yrs ago I bought a reverse osmosis unit to purify water, I made a big deal on my website about how I used 100% pure water which left the carpet totally free of any residue,  but in the end I stopped using it as no one ever mentioned it or asked about it..........but I still kept it on my website, how many people read my website, expected me to use RO water  but never actually mentioned it?

I had a video of my 7 step cleaning process including the burn test ....guess how many times I actually did the burn test ::)roll.

Even worse I once advertised I was the '2nd best looking carpet cleaner in  England' .......talk about bait & switch!!  Maybe the 4th best looking but never the 2nd ;D

I bet if we all think about it we all bait & switch in some way
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Hilton

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 10:46:49 pm »
The service offered might not be the service bought. thats what package selling is about.  customer can choose what level of service they want to buy.

Plus like it or not people are buying clean carpets they dont care how that happens. TM, portable, wet, dry, etc, etc

High end is about risk for them. they think its being reduced in some way by paying more. 

how many of you send out confirmation letters that have what is being done and not? whats expected of the customer for your arrival?  most of mine choose to vac, empty rooms, and dont want stain removal. they have a choice before i arrive to upgrade or cancel but choose not.

I spent years vacing, moving stuff and spending money and time on stain removal only to find out people dont care given to choice.

"What's 'expected 'of the customer"

So to be honoured by your presence , They have to vacuum, clear away any obstacles and not expect a full service  , yet pay you for the privilege .

I think you are wrong most people do care , very much so.

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:56:31 am »
I must admit I've done this plenty of times. When starting out and doing the training you are told all the steps and process to use. At first I did this religiously.

But you come across some situations where you think why bother.

The customer has already vacced up, there's no noticeable stains or its not that grubby so sd the pre spray and agitation. How is the customer going to know you've done a clean water or acid rinse etc.

There's been times I've turned up, slapped some cheap cleaner straight in my machine and just gone to work, few passes and job done. Looks clean, everyone's a winner lol

DB

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 08:21:34 am »
Are they ??????

Stoots

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:40 pm »
Are they ??????

Lol I don't know. Never had a complaint.

Most customers want a clean carpet, this can be achieved in 90% of cases with a very simple quick process. Everything else is just fluff and marketting.

Mike Cottam

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 01:13:28 pm »

When I decided to get into the carpet cleaning industry, I had no idea about the processes involved in carpet cleaning.

So I booked myself on a carpet cleaning course and learned the multiple process involved in cleaning a carpet - from vacuuming to grooming. At the end of it, I understood what effect including (or excluding) a certain part of the process meant, not only for the cleanliness of the carpet, but for the good of my equipment and the level of service provided to the customer.

And I deliver every process on all of my jobs, irrespective of whether my customer says they have vacuumed... And how on Earth can you leave out pre-spraying, when that contains the cleaning solution?

>:( >:(

Mike Cottam

CleanerCarpets

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »
... And how on Earth can you leave out pre-spraying, when that contains the cleaning solution?

>:( >:(

because he is putting the cleaning solution in the rinse water/tank of his machine and doing a 'one stage clean'

i don't do it myself, i am not saying its right but i know a lot of people who do it. Add heat into the equation of the rinse water/cleaner and it will clean and so they are delivering a 'service' and most of the manufacturers sell in tank detergents and probably sell a lot of them!