This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dave f

stopped doing gutter cleaning
« on: June 02, 2016, 08:18:25 pm »
ive given up doing gutter cleaning its a pain and for the amount I do its not viable plus up here they are tight wads they even complain  about the price of conni roof cleaning.

Rob clarke

Re: stopped doing gutter cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 08:30:11 pm »
ive given up doing gutter cleaning its a pain and for the amount I do its not viable plus up here they are tight wads they even complain  about the price of conni roof cleaning.

Where you from mate? Its same here its like they think your ripping them off lol

dave f

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 08:51:50 pm »
west yorkshire

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 08:59:13 pm »
Everything is poo prices up here mate, i do very little gutter and conny work because they just wont pay what i want.
But i still do them, just dont advertise or do many, just do them if theyre prepared to pay.

duncan h

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 09:22:16 pm »
Same here mate. Also in west Yorkshire Wakefield/Huddersfield. By the time you have spent half the day cleaning them and knackering your joints in, You can earn double doing windows

Rob clarke

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:21 pm »
west yorkshire

I'm in north Yorkshire

SeanK

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:58:41 pm »
I haven't officially stopped doing them I just don't get the prices asked for, In my opinion even with a gutter vac you need to
be getting at least double the money you could get on the glass.
Roofers are going have plenty of work in my area a few years from now going by the state of the gutters.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:05:52 am »
I had one today. 5 downspouts confirmed to be blocked plus crap in the gutters and they expected to pay around 30 squid for someone to clear them. To top it off bad access to get to the back  too. Those types do make me laugh ;D ;D

paulben

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:50 am »
Got 2 rip off sharks around here that I know of 1 wanted £500 for half an hours work targeted old peoples area and other 1 wanted £30 to clean and empty gutters by hand on large bungalow and muck still on facia .
Do not steal the government hates competition

jk999

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:56:47 am »
I have three Con roofs one car port and one facia and gutter clean today but when I'm done I will get paid straight away, if I did the same value in houses I would be chasing money so I would rather do the big jobs

Tom-01

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 10:53:20 am »
I have three Con roofs one car port and one facia and gutter clean today but when I'm done I will get paid straight away, if I did the same value in houses I would be chasing money so I would rather do the big jobs

Exactly mate. Bigger money jobs are great for cashflow. People who are employed don't get their monthly salary in drips and drabs.

We've got a lot of regular gutter cleaning jobs and they're all priced well. We did one last week including taking out and disposing of gutter hedgehogs, it took one hour. It takes us approx 11 house window cleans to earn the same amount.

Windows are great for regular income, especially using GoCardless. The extra bigger jobs are essential too IMO.

SeanK

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 11:59:26 am »

Exactly mate. Bigger money jobs are great for cashflow. People who are employed don't get their monthly salary in drips and drabs.

We've got a lot of regular gutter cleaning jobs and they're all priced well. We did one last week including taking out and disposing of gutter hedgehogs, it took one hour. It takes us approx 11 house window cleans to earn the same amount.

Windows are great for regular income, especially using GoCardless. The extra bigger jobs are essential too IMO.

Who gets their money in dribs and drabs ? 99% of my window cleaning money is paid out on the same week as the clean,
the other 1% has a good excuse or is dropped from the round.
I am very respectful of my customers but demand it in return.
Big one off jobs can be a nice earner as long as you have customers who are prepared to pay for them, nobody is disagreeing
with that.

Smurf

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:35 pm »
Gutter clearing and downspout unblocking can be a very risky, unpleasent and mucky job so needs to be charged accordingly. Even using a guttervac I've found some jobs are dead easy and others can be a right pain in the arse to do.

Is it worth the hassle/risk for the reward to some then maybe not so I can understand why they prefer to just clean glass. 

slap bash

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »
I have had some fool around my area cleaning out gutters out for 10 quid and ruining the trade for all. There are some  very thick persons around that come in and have no idea with the excuse of it only take a few minutes.  Sometimes is not the time it`s the risk of falling and even loosing your life doing the job.

jk999

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 02:39:09 pm »
The way they look at it is a tenners a Tenner if they do a couple a day plus Dole money no tax to pay they are loaded that's y us that do it for a living struggle with the prices we want

Smurf

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 05:00:31 pm »
I have had some fool around my area cleaning out gutters out for 10 quid and ruining the trade for all. There are some  very thick persons around that come in and have no idea with the excuse of it only take a few minutes.  Sometimes is not the time it`s the risk of falling and even loosing your life doing the job.

You get idiots like that everywhere I'm afraid.  One that sticks in my mind I've seen is an idiot that likes to clamber about on 2 storey pitched roofs and precariously leans over to clear out gutters. I've seen him go along a whole row of terraced houses doing this all for a 10 a house front & back.  Let’s just say his customers where not that impressed with his total disregard for his own safety and clambering all over their roofs. What a muppet  ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 05:17:08 pm »
i stopped clearing out gutters years ago and im much happier as a result.ive got plenty of regular window cleaning work and always have a steady trickle of  add ons here and there esp in the spring and summer months. :)
price higher/work harder!

Smurf

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
i stopped clearing out gutters years ago and im much happier as a result.ive got plenty of regular window cleaning work and always have a steady trickle of  add ons here and there esp in the spring and summer months. :)

As long as you are happy that's the main thing dazmond as gutter clearing sucks. Well it does when you turn the vac on   ;D ;D