Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul erithwc

Part time employees in a van on their own
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:29:00 pm »
Does any one have part time employees go out in a van on their own a couple days a week ?

I was just wondering if it worked or not. it seems to work for tesco/asda/pizza hut delivery drivers

Thanks Paul

Tony dunmall

Re: Part time employees in a van on their own
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:28:05 pm »
Yes I do, they go by them self on a day rate and they work hard

Couple used to only want two days or one day a week

If vans not in use works fine

Last couple years I've always had a spare fully kitted out van so they often used that van

It was an old paid for t4 if they do a day a week they generate about £1400 month turn over even with running costs it can generate a small profit for the business

AuRavelling79

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:18:46 pm »
@Tony

How do you handle insurance?

A) For them to drive the van
B) Employee liability?
It's a game of three halves!

Tony dunmall

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 08:02:08 am »
Hi gold

Replicated the insurance  years  no claims based on second or third van with some companies more helpful than others
it varies on price increase according to individual seems to work out between £30- 60 a month
Obviously cost van is involved and system

Fuel is about 1 tank a month on The old t4 very robust

(If there full time different ways to insure them end day it costs money but a full timer is generating healthy profit)

The employers lability is about 195-200 per person per year I'm with Ryan very helpful, sometime if there doing there own work or other work they wish to remain self employed

Down south couple days a week from one person will generated minimum £500 a week more likely just shy £700

So to be fair even after the organising things  costs and paying them £120- 175 a day your left with a reasonable yearly profit

And it's money as I'm getting older and less inclined  I don't have to earn from being on the tools myself

Hope that's more than helpful

LBWCS

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »
So they are employed by you? You pay ni etc? Could they. It be classed as sub contracting? Genuine question as I don't know the answer

Tony dunmall

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 07:29:55 pm »
Yes it could be classed as subcontract if it meets the criteria, but the question was asked regarding part time emplyed staff, some prefer to be employed it varies.
if there employed you pay all the NI but at present there is an allowance given by the government,best to ask your accountant

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:47:11 pm »
Thanks Tony. Very helpful.
It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 01:46:05 am »
3 part timers - they go out on their own and hit the same rates as full timers - a great flexible way to have staff

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

mark coates

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »
It's a bit of a grey area but technically sub contractors are supposed to be using all their own equipment, van etc, if not, then they are your employee. A guy who cleans windows in the same area as me was telling me about how he was fined off hrmc for using his dad as a sub contractor in similar circumstances.

Marc Stock

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 10:23:55 pm »
It's a bit of a grey area but technically sub contractors are supposed to be using all their own equipment, van etc, if not, then they are your employee. A guy who cleans windows in the same area as me was telling me about how he was fined off hrmc for using his dad as a sub contractor in similar circumstances.

Yes and in addition to this i also was stung by HMRC for a simular error.

Best thing to do is make sure that they arnt just window cleaning for you. If they are sub contractors they should be able to prove that you are not thier only customer.

For example if a window cleaner worked for me on a sub contract part time basis,  id expect them to have thier own direct customers that i can take references from as proof of sub contractor status.  (They may sub for whoever needs window cleaners wherever)

If they dont have any other customers, then you are employing them and HMRC will expect you to know this.

Mike55

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:01:28 pm »
Off topic from the initial query but for those not there is a questionnaire you can fill out on the HMRC website for self eployed/ employing concerns.

You can take a copy and receive a reference number at the end for your records.