Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Can't get TDS down to zero....
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:28:30 am »
Hi all ,

Iv got new membranes ( November)
New prefilters ( may)
Just bought a refilled 10'' resin filter from pure freedom
Before RO 150ppm , after RO 002ppm after resin 001ppm  ???
Iv just rang them and they say it's either spent ( after 3 weeks  ??? )
Or it needs a shake , iv shook it but no difference-

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance 👍

chris turner

Re: Can't get TDS down to zero....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:51:43 am »
Unscrew the lid, check the rubber seal and check there's no resin particles on the seal, screw back on and should be fine.

Either that or its cr@p resin.

Smurf

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:04 am »
A small 10" cartridge holds less than three cups of resin so that is why the resin gets spent quickly as there is hardly any resin in it. To be brutally honest they are a total waste of time.

To save messing about having to change the resin so frequently on a small di 10" cartridge buy a 11 litre di vessel instead with appropriate connections for your ro and holding tank

If you don't already do so also buy di resin in 25 litre bags instead  of buying small refill bags from the likes of purefreedom as is expensive way to buy resin and works out a lot dearer as your water production increases.

dd

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:07:33 am »
If you get 002 from your RO I would not bother to use resin. I have not used resin for over 8 years. TDS from my RO varies from 002 to 007.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:32:22 am »
If you get 002 from your RO I would not bother to use resin. I have not used resin for over 8 years. TDS from my RO varies from 002 to 007.

That's another way of looking at it I suppose if you are not that fussed in using 000ppm water.  ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 10:46:12 am »
Unscrew the lid, check the rubber seal and check there's no resin particles on the seal, screw back on and should be fine.

Either that or its cr@p resin.

Cheers Chris but no luck , I think it may be the resin , it's a bloody pain in the @ss

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:14 am »
A small 10" cartridge holds less than three cups of resin so that is why the resin gets spent quickly as there is hardly any resin in it. To be brutally honest they are a total waste of time.

To save messing about having to change the resin so frequently on a small di 10" cartridge buy a 11 litre di vessel instead with appropriate connections for your ro and holding tank

If you don't already do so also buy di resin in 25 litre bags instead  of buying small refill bags from the likes of purefreedom as is expensive way to buy resin and works out a lot dearer as your water production increases.

Iv been thinking of doing that pal , I'm only a part timer so didn't think I'd need a large canister , I use this RO http://www.purefreedom.co.uk/water-purification/200-gpd-compact-reverse-osmosis-system-592.html

But upgraded the membranes so it's a 300gpd , I weren't sure if it's possible to upgrade to a larger resin canister but would make sense if it works out cheaper .
But still , iv had this resin for 3 weeks so it shouldn't be spent already ...

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 10:54:59 am »

Wow that some savings over the years! I don't know if I could do the job with confidence with resin  ???

Smurf

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:43:32 am »
Production wise  the resin will only last so long before it starts to creap and get spent no matter what size vessel you use.
Obviously the larger the volume of resin the water passes through the less frequent you will need to change the resin.

I take it you are also awhere of tds creap when a ro  first start up as that will have a big impact on how long the resin will last too if allowed to pass through the resin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWbKnsT-kLw

Flushing (back fushing) the ro on a regular basis also prolong the life of the membranes too which is not shown in that vid.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
Cheers smurf , I do usually back flush quite often , pure freedom have got in touch and they're gonna send me some more resin , so we'll see if that helps..... I hope it does! 👍

steven ainger

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 01:22:25 pm »
As said previously, why bother.
I haven't used resin for 5 years.
Ro produces water at around 4 on average, sometimes 8, never had a problem.
Don't  waste your money

matty72

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 01:47:36 pm »
Just a thought, maybe your tds meter is faulty, after resin sould be 000, try another one just to rule it out.

dd

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
As said previously, why bother.
I haven't used resin for 5 years.
Ro produces water at around 4 on average, sometimes 8, never had a problem.
Don't  waste your money
Not only cheaper, it also makes life more simple.
1. Do not have to faff about refilling di vessel and disposing of old resin.
2. Do not have to make sure any resin stored is in airtight container.
3. Do not have to worry about being supplied a duff bag of resin - which seems a frequent problem going by posts on the forum.

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 06:44:13 pm »
Just a thought, maybe your tds meter is faulty, after resin sould be 000, try another one just to rule it out.

You could try a dozen TDS meters and get a different reading from each one.  If you're that bothered get some calibration fluid and check your meter.

This obsession with "000" makes me laugh, there's no law says you have to have 000 - it's just a convenient way to describe how pure the water is, it isn't a magic formula for cleaning windows.  At some stage of purity (it could be anything from 000ppm up to 015 or even 020) there isn't enough contamination in the water to precipitate out on the glass.  That's all you need.  Clean windows produced using 020ppm are just as clean as clean windows using 000ppm.

Stop worrying about it, experiment with your own windows - you'll know if your water is pure enough for the job or not.

We don't start worrying until our reading is 015, then we think about using resin, otherwise it's just straight from the RO.

combat1

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 10:12:03 pm »
I've  got a 300gpd ro with a 10'' di vessel like you.
I probably change my resin every three weeks.
I suppose the question to ask is how much water is produced in the three weeks.
My unit probably makes 1000 litres a week, after 3 weeks the tds is just up to 001.
Zero when I change the resin.
Funny facts, before we got water meters a little water board man used to appear whenever I was producing, checking his meter and listening to the pipes through a rod.
Then we all got meters and now my total house and business cost is £77 per month.
Got a call from the water board the other day trying to book a free water saving visit.
Declined that. Hope they don't try to put me on a business footing.

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 10:59:01 pm »
I switched to wfp after 14yrs trad just less than a yr ago. Using a diy system 500ltr, 450gpd ro system from pure freedom with the 10inch di vessel. For first time for all my existing customers i was paranoid about needing 000tds as i showed my customers difference in water etc etc as to why i can leave it on windows. The 10" soon burnt thru resin so tried two 10" cases and that wasnt much cop. Then went to a 20" di vessel hoping to get at least 3 months before changing and i soon got fed up of that. I now use a 4.6 ltr vessel.
My tds b4 RO is 250 (cant remember exact) out RO is 008. Im less paranoid to point where when filling my 1000ltr static tank i dont take a reading any more as if di vessel fails......008 from RO is still good enough  and not visible to human eye any spots. Its taken away any constant wory of checking tds . As ur tds is so low, i wouldnt bother going down same route as me only to conclude ur water is adequate without need of di
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

rosskesava

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 01:10:57 am »
My unit probably makes 1000 litres a week, after 3 weeks the tds is just up to 001.
Funny facts, before we got water meters a little water board man used to appear whenever I was producing, checking his meter and listening to the pipes through a rod.
Then we all got meters and now my total house and business cost is £77 per month.
Got a call from the water board the other day trying to book a free water saving visit.

Serious suggestion. Tell them you have OCD and have 20 or so baths a day.
Just chant..... Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. It's beats chanting Tory Tory or Labour Labour.

dd

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 07:51:38 am »
A "business footing". As you are already on a water meter you would not pay extra. Business is charged the same rate as a domestic customer.

Rob clarke

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 08:16:22 am »

How many litres do you go through a week including waste? I've been stressing about water meter as I'm now in a new house and thought my bill would be a lot higher than £77

Rob clarke

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2016, 08:17:58 am »

How many litres do you go through a week including waste? I've been stressing about water meter as I'm now in a new house and thought my bill would be a lot higher than £77

My bad just seen you produce 1000 litres a week lol