Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

First cleans / one offs
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:31:18 am »
Following on from the other thread I just wondered how much longer people take on a first clean. I reckon at least 2/3 times as long even if they aren't minging. If I break it down by window, on a maintenance its typically once around the frames on a full flow, then once or maybe twice over the glass. On a first clean it's a minimum of of 5/6 times round the frame and the same over the glass. Then when I've cleaned the house, it's back over the glass again once and a rinse. I estimate three times longer.

At an estimate, how much longer on average do people reckon?

chris turner

Re: First cleans / one offs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:35:32 am »
Twice as long, squirt of cif on the brush for each window does the job nicely.
If the windows are severely hydrophobic or if the frames are wood then even longer.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:37:12 am »
2 - 3 times

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 08:38:19 am »
Seriously if they are not minging then what are you removing that takes you longer ? if they're not minging they get the same clean as a repeat, guys don't listen to that nonsense about having to remove all the soap residue left by previous shiners, a couple of heavy rain showers will have more than removed it.
For me depending on how bad they are it can be anything slightly longer to double, any longer than that and it would be quicker to do them by hand.
If the frames are bad then I will use a stiff brush especially if they are badly cobwebbed and do all the frames first but even then
I would be going well to double my time.
That said I don't know if I'm quick at first cleans or slow on repeat. lol.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:26:03 am »
All depends on your methods of cleaning and the results you want to achive will determine the length of time a job should take.
If you are wanting to restore all the plastics back to white then yes for sure it may take longer. Oxidation on plastic frames, rubber gasket seal bleed, frame drainage holes leaking dirt,  frame vents dripping etc can also add time to a first/one off clean. Not to mention how dirty the glass is and if it's clased as a builders clean or not. 

NWH

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »
I don't ever take them on if it's like you say a one off with no chance of an on going job,if you have enough work what would ever be the point in cleaning it up for someone else to come along and get it on a regular basis cos in my experience that's what happens.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 01:09:46 pm »
I take my time on first cleans , purely because iv done them quick in the past and 2nd clean iv noticed iv missed bits. so now I give them s good scrub and a good rinse a couple of times . It makes life a lot easier when they're on a maintenance clean after that

NWH

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 01:14:45 pm »
Letting agents and people who want one offs are not the people I want to work for if someone rings you at the end of March-April why would you put off your regular easy to clean work to clean something that might not have been touched for years,windys either don't have the work or are living in la la land thinking you can earn more working this way.

CleanClear

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:59:53 pm »
Following on from the other thread I just wondered how much longer people take on a first clean. I reckon at least 2/3 times as long even if they aren't minging. If I break it down by window, on a maintenance its typically once around the frames on a full flow, then once or maybe twice over the glass. On a first clean it's a minimum of of 5/6 times round the frame and the same over the glass. Then when I've cleaned the house, it's back over the glass again once and a rinse. I estimate three times longer.

At an estimate, how much longer on average do people reckon?

There's a big difference between a first clean and a one off. A first clean i'm going back to, a one off i'm not.  There is no way i go round a frame 5/6 times whether i'm going back or not either. And of course it depends upon what price i've got for it. A lower price might entail me saying there might be some runs or drips but this is normal, AKA i aint staying there all day for the price i just got. Or opposite end of the scale, i asked a ridiculous price and got it and say............any problems, let me know.......
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »
Letting agents and people who want one offs are not the people I want to work for if someone rings you at the end of March-April why would you put off your regular easy to clean work to clean something that might not have been touched for years,windys either don't have the work or are living in la la land thinking you can earn more working this way.

I must be living in la la land then  ;D

sunshine windows

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »

Me too! I love one offs. Charge at least double the monthly rate and you rarely fall short of earning more per hour.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

8weekly

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 05:55:12 am »

Me too! I love one offs. Charge at least double the monthly rate and you rarely fall short of earning more per hour.
Only if you're in the area or have the spare time. At the moment I have the capacity so I'll take them on at double the regular price but even then they often take double the time or more. I wouldn't travel to the other side of town to do one though.

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 08:50:13 am »
I just like taking on a job where you can see the difference when finished it sort of takes the edge from the boredom at times.
Double the price in my area and you just don't get them which is what I normally do when I have enough work, but sometimes
I will take one on just for the job satisfaction even though business wise its stupid.
But I could very happily work like Smurf if I could get away with it as stand alone jobs certainly for me are a lot less boring
and give more job satisfaction.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 11:27:06 am »
People are saying I charge double the price what's the earner there then,say I do a regular easy to clean £50 job and I do the same thing for 100 what's the point if I have many other easy to clean 50 jobs. For me working hard just so I can stand back and say ahhhh what I good job I've done there for you so you can now sell your house never to be seen again is not a good way to work IMO,I want to clean frames and Windows with no more than 3 months worth of dirt on the frames and glass these people are not worth putting in the effort for as I say they don't normally bother to have there Windows cleaned so why do any favours.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 11:37:43 am »
I just like taking on a job where you can see the difference when finished it sort of takes the edge from the boredom at times.
Double the price in my area and you just don't get them which is what I normally do when I have enough work, but sometimes
I will take one on just for the job satisfaction even though business wise its stupid.
But I could very happily work like Smurf if I could get away with it as stand alone jobs certainly for me are a lot less boring

There's a great deal to be said for that.  As I mentioned above I've done a one-off recently along with a couple of first cleans (unusual for me as they normally go to our franchisees).  You're right, there's a great deal of satisfaction in doing them.

Vin

8weekly

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:00 pm »

There's a great deal to be said for that.  As I mentioned above I've done a one-off recently along with a couple of first cleans (unusual for me as they normally go to our franchisees).  You're right, there's a great deal of satisfaction in doing them.

Vin
Yes, but they take it out of you.

NWH

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 02:59:04 pm »
Yeah they are hard work for no more money if you have a full schedule of work,even if your over charging coz it's a one off IMO you'll still earn more doing less dirty regular work.

Soupy

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 07:22:26 am »
Lol.

Customer: hello there, are you a window cleaner?

Shiner: looks down at his water fed pole and across at his newly sign written van Yes love, I'm a window cleaner.

Customer: Great! I urgently need a window cleaner, our house goes up for sale tomorrow and we are getting photos taken, the windows really need a good seeing to.

Shiner: Sorry, I'd love to give you a good seeing to but I only clean windows that aren't dirty.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 08:14:08 am »
I recently picked up a custy that's selling her house , after a couple of cleans , she's asked me to clean her new house when she moved - I feel like part of the family now and we'll all be moving together ✋ - high five brother

SB Cleaning

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 08:44:33 am »
I like doing one offs...I charge a lot more for doing them and some turn into regulars any way.