This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tom.m

Advice Please (non - payer)
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »
Evening Chaps

I've just picked up a new customer, massive house with leaded windows, upvc frames.

They haven't paid as the wife thinks we we're meant to do the soffits and fascias for the amount we quoted :o and apparently the windows are still dirty.

I've spoken to the customer and made them aware that if they want the S/f/G its going to be alot more. So I told them last night that i would pop round between 1-2 if someone was home to re-clean and look at any missed areas, they agreed.

What a shock, cars on the drive, no answer.  Called the husband, no answer. Carry on with my round and come back an hour later cars moved, new one on the drive, no answer!  ???

Being 8 months into window cleaning i'm not entirely sure how to go about this.
any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Tom. 

8weekly

Re: Advice Please (non - payer)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:38:58 pm »
Have you got their names? Key thing with new customers - always take their names so that you can write to them if needed.

Tom.m

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:10 pm »
I have both there names, turns out the hubby is a big time building contractor.

Bay View WCS

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:01 pm »

Red Flag all day long  ;D ;D

8weekly

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 09:33:53 pm »
At some point you can issue a 14 day ultimatum letter then.

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 11:45:28 pm »
you should always make it clear to a new customer what you ll be cleaning before you start.thats your first mistake.

secondly make sure you get a payment method(whether its cash,BACS,cheque,standing order etc on completion of the job)

always take name and address and mobile number(most people dont use landlines these days)

lastly always spend 2 or 3 times as long on a first clean to make sure they come up good(esp if their really dirty).first impressions count.

good luck
price higher/work harder!

Tom.m

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:20 am »
you should always make it clear to a new customer what you ll be cleaning before you start.thats your first mistake.

secondly make sure you get a payment method(whether its cash,BACS,cheque,standing order etc on completion of the job)

always take name and address and mobile number(most people dont use landlines these days)

lastly always spend 2 or 3 times as long on a first clean to make sure they come up good(esp if their really dirty).first impressions count.

good luck

Both myself and my business partner we're present at the quotation, the wife didn't say a word about F/S/G.

She assured us that she would do the transfer that night and would set up a standing order for monthly cleaning.

Not sure where I stand legally, she claims that the work wasn't to standard but her windows were black with dirt!

Thomas Higgins perhaps?

Smudger

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:05:54 am »
Did you give them a written quote?
If so you will have a record of work to be undertaken

With regards to quality only you can judge by looking at the windows Check the outsides look for blow units then go inside and clean one to see what it looks like then you'd be surprised at the number of people who blame the window cleaner when it's in fact a blown unit or dirty inside

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience

Tom.m

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:37:11 am »
The windows are filthy inside! Loads of smear marks were they've tried to do it themselves.

Apparently we left a cobweb on her daughters window but when I drove past (private estate) to have a look it's just the Soffits that are covered in shyte.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
The windows are filthy inside! Loads of smear marks were they've tried to do it themselves.

Apparently we left a cobweb on her daughters window but when I drove past (private estate) to have a look it's just the Soffits that are covered in shyte.

shes obviously not happy with the clean.have you managed to nip back and take a look for yourself?

did you spend twice or 3 times as long to get them up to scratch first time round?

she could of course be a dodgy customer who has no intention of paying although these are usual very rare(thankfully).

price higher/work harder!

Tom.m

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 07:03:43 pm »
Went back twice, no answer at the door even though her car was there.

Rang hubby, no answer. So emailed him explaining we've been back twice.

Get an email from him stating the wife was in all day. (helps if she opens the bloody door)

Thinking of just sending a demand for payment.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 07:13:23 pm »
Sounds like a decent amount of cash, so they need a brief but firm letter. 

Say what they agreed to and at what price. 

Mention you visited to check and reclean if necessary but at the agreed time they weren't there.

Tell them they have seven days to pay.

Then when they don't pay, send a Thomas Higgins letter.

If they don't pay after that then, in all honesty, I'd drop it.  Life's too short to spend it in court unless you're over about £200.

Vin

Tom.m

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 07:36:23 pm »
It's infuriating!  it's a £600,000 house.

Obviously tighter than a ducks arse.

To some, it's not a lot of money. Especially them!

I'm more annoyed that they might bad mouth our company,  especially when myself and my business partner slogged our guts out for 2 hours.

Scrimble

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 07:38:38 pm »
ring the police sounds like fraud

Smudger

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:04:21 pm »
What the hell does it matter it's a 600k house ? The mortgage repayment is probably more than you earn in 3 months ! - which means they don't have two pennies to rub together ( only credit )

I'd pop back tomorrow and see if you can talk to them - then I'd get the camera out and start taking pictures of the Windows as proof they are clean then send a formal invoice recorded delivery

Darran
Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience