Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Pick ups become more appealing
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:49:33 pm »
Never thought I'd say it but even though I don't suit rigger boots a four wheel drive is getting more appealing for me as time goes by.
I got my van well and truly stuck in a grass field over the weekend - it's only got to look at grass and it bursts into tears! Met a 4x4 today on a customers drive, he simply took to the field and sped past. I've had several dodgy moments with the van and a full tank. Getting stuck in mud, snow and even a steep drive where I had to be towed up by a 4x4. Had a quick look at a Ford Ranger but not sure if I could fit everything in.

Re: Pick ups become more appealing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:04:21 pm »
That all depends on what you want to fit in it Dave.
I've a Ford Ranger super cab with a high hard top.
I carry a 500 tank, supermax 40, van mounted reel, backpack, trad stuff, tool box and a multi ladder all in the back of mine - no ro or di though, thats static.
I dont go off road for work ( but do for camping and festivals ) what I like is the nice clean comfortable cab that doubles as the family car.  ;)

EandM

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:12 pm »
We're four years into Ranger ownership and as work vehicle...it just sort of works. Only have a 400 litre tank and a 1,250 kg payload so it's hardly being taxed. Work is very rural with many farms and agricultural buildings in fairly remote locations. Enough space inside to get the kids to school too - highly recommended.

Dave Willis

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:25:58 pm »
How do you get on with the tailgate? Does it fold right down to a vertical position or have you bolted your reel to it so that it folds up with the tailgate? Do your poles fit into the loadspace?

What I mean is do you have your reel on the tailgate.

Spruce

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
Never thought I'd say it but even though I don't suit rigger boots a four wheel drive is getting more appealing for me as time goes by.
I got my van well and truly stuck in a grass field over the weekend - it's only got to look at grass and it bursts into tears! Met a 4x4 today on a customers drive, he simply took to the field and sped past. I've had several dodgy moments with the van and a full tank. Getting stuck in mud, snow and even a steep drive where I had to be towed up by a 4x4. Had a quick look at a Ford Ranger but not sure if I could fit everything in.

The solution - don't drive through a field unless the ground is as dry as a bone.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
How do you get on with the tailgate? Does it fold right down to a vertical position or have you bolted your reel to it so that it folds up with the tailgate? Do your poles fit into the loadspace?

What I mean is do you have your reel on the tailgate.
the tank was  custom made by aquaeous pf, and the reel was mounted in front of it  to the floor with room to allow the tailgate to close, the gate will open flat but I never have to do that whilst working. pole fits in diagonally on top of tank. The load bed of the supercab is just shy of 6 ft, less with the twin cab and longer still (obviously) with a single cab.

EandM

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:08:23 pm »
I have a Supercab which has a 5.8 feet bed and four seats. A CLX-22 sits nicely inside the bed and the hose reel just sits behind the tank with enough feed hose to remove it. As for going anywhere I find that around 500 kg load and the LSD make for more usable traction than an empty truck and 4wd.

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:56 pm »
There's no privacy sitting on a portable loo in the back of a Pick up, that rules them out for me and my fifty plus bladder.

slap bash

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:17:03 pm »
In the end you buy what you want, But I for one would not buy one as the costs of running a 4x  is much higher than a van in every aspect. Many guys buy a 4x4 as a toy that the misses would never agree too under normal  circumstances.

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »
For those that want to carry loads of gear about that don't need to go off roading as in my case they are defo not really pratical than a large works van that's for sure. 

Dave Willis

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 07:45:54 am »
Wait till you get stuck in a field 70 miles from home! I had to use an overflow car park at Lymington Ferry terminal totally knackered. Luckily for me it was a cycling event so managed to get about fifteen young girls to push and bounce the van the two feet required to get on gravel.

EandM

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 08:00:42 am »
In the end you buy what you want, But I for one would not buy one as the costs of running a 4x  is much higher than a van in every aspect. Many guys buy a 4x4 as a toy that the misses would never agree too under normal  circumstances.

Think it depends on what you're running. I do my own maintenance and have a tame mechanic for anything I can't manage. I haven't found it any dearer to run than any of my other work vehicles over the past 30 years. It's over engineered for WFP Cleaning so as a result is never running flat out - as a result it tends to be very reliable. Any 4 wheel drive  has the potential to be expensive but the Ranger system is more 'Victorian Signal Box' than   'Star Trek' and so far has been well behaved (16 years old with 150,000 miles)

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 08:09:24 am »
Seriously how many times are you going to stuck in a field 70 miles from home in our business ? you cant beat a van for the job we
do and theres no excuse for a Pick up other than wanting a big boys toy.

dazmond

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:23:45 am »
i suppose if you work in a lot of remote/rural areas with plenty of hills then a 4x4 would be a sensible option with the water we carry.
price higher/work harder!

Scrimble

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:10 am »
you can buy vans with off road capabilities you know

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:38 am »
There's no privacy sitting on a portable loo in the back of a Pick up, that rules them out for me and my fifty plus bladder.
I know what you mean  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
I know what you mean  ;D

;D ;D pop up loo tent springs to mind for a wee bit more privacy. You obviously have not thought that one through Barry  :P

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:05 am »

;D ;D ;D

That's my first priority as well.

The second is; can I get into the back in time?

Way down the list is what size tank can I put in it?

-

Smurf

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:29:38 am »
Man pants work well for me Spruce. You should try them  ;D ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGNMeR-BOis

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:05:10 pm »