This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

8weekly

Re: Pick ups become more appealing
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 07:45:43 pm »
There's no privacy sitting on a portable loo in the back of a Pick up, that rules them out for me and my fifty plus bladder.
I know what you mean  ;D

;D ;D pop up loo tent springs to mind for a wee bit more privacy. You obviously have not thought that one through Barry  :P
She wee more like.  ;D

EandM

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 08:26:07 pm »
Seriously how many times are you going to stuck in a field 70 miles from home in our business ? you cant beat a van for the job we
do and theres no excuse for a Pick up other than wanting a big boys toy.

We drove a Transit into our field that supplies my water last week - it promptly sank and we had to tow it with the Ranger. There's plenty of reason for running a 4x4 Pickup when you live and work where I do.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 08:33:07 pm »
if its not a short bed round window and  running a 427 hemi then its not a real pick up

Smurf

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 09:26:13 pm »
Seriously how many times are you going to stuck in a field 70 miles from home in our business ? you cant beat a van for the job we

We drove a Transit into our field that supplies my water last week - it promptly sank and we had to tow it with the Ranger. There's plenty of reason for running a 4x4 Pickup when you live and work where I do.

Not many I know have to drive into a field to get their water   :o

EandM

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 09:48:29 pm »

Not many I know have to drive into a field to get their water   :o

Or go off road twice a day to get to it.

I was disappointed with the Transit though as the field entrance was dry. If you're living in town a van is probably fine but out here a pick up is far more useful.

Smurf

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 10:02:35 pm »
Might sound a silly question but why do you have to drive into a field twice a day to get your water?

EandM

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 10:21:09 pm »
Might sound a silly question but why do you have to drive into a field twice a day to get your water?

We have a Well in our field and this supplies low TDS water (for the area) to the tap about half way up. Two gates to access the field and I'm usually there either to fill up in the morning or evening. Today it was twice as I was low on water last night and didn't have time to fill up. House is in the middle of nowhere and doesn't have a proper road at either end - concrete lower section and scalping / forest track at the top - Hilarious when it snows.  My mate popped up for some water in his mid size Peugeot van - getting that out of the field was fun too.

Smurf

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 11:30:29 pm »
Thanks as I thought that might be the case.
It's a shame you can't rig up some sort of pumping station and underground pipe so you don't need to drive into the fields at all.
Still like you say 4x4 in your case is really the only option but they can still get stuck too.

EandM

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 02:16:42 pm »
Thanks as I thought that might be the case.
It's a shame you can't rig up some sort of pumping station and underground pipe so you don't need to drive into the fields at all.
Still like you say 4x4 in your case is really the only option but they can still get stuck too.

Yes you're right. The only situation it's been defeated by is mud. Without proper mud tyres it's hopeless. It'll just spin all it's wheels. Apart from that it's great and when it comes to replacement time I'd happily have another.

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 05:52:19 pm »
Popped into the local Mitsubishi dealers yesterday - they only had twin cabs and to me the loadspace looked very small. Drop the tailgate and it smacks the towbar. I'd have to think really hard before parting with my van I reckon. Some models had a handy feature of an opening rear cab window so a pole could be poked through but generally it's very tight for a thirty footer. Also the only access is the back door, no side access like a van. Still mulling if over.

EandM

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »
Popped into the local Mitsubishi dealers yesterday - they only had twin cabs and to me the loadspace looked very small. Drop the tailgate and it smacks the towbar. I'd have to think really hard before parting with my van I reckon. Some models had a handy feature of an opening rear cab window so a pole could be poked through but generally it's very tight for a thirty footer. Also the only access is the back door, no side access like a van. Still mulling if over.

If there's only two of you a single cab will give you a 7.5 foot load bay which is plenty. A Ranger super cab shrinks the load bay to 5'10" and will take anything up tp a CLX-22 whilst giving you four seats. A double cab gives around 5 feet of load bay length and five seats. A truckman top would probably allow you a 30 foot pole if fitted diagonally but it's a bit like driving with a conservatory on the back.

ChumBucket

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 07:07:07 pm »
Unless you REALLY NEED 4x4 capability I personally can't think of anything worse than a pickup for wfp work- particularly over a good sized van.

duncan h

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 07:07:35 pm »
I would love to have a Ranger. I like my space though. LWB transit. dogs cage, back seats for kids. After each house I just thrown my pole on the floor. Super fast, that's with electric reel. L:ooked at a few setups and mine is way faster.
On the down side. Vans are stolen a lot more

duncan h

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »
Unless you REALLY NEED 4x4 capability I personally can't think of anything worse than a pickup for wfp work- particularly over a good sized van.
Couldn't agree more.
Bring back 4x4 transits :)

Og

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2016, 07:54:53 pm »
There's plenty of 4 wheel drive vans out there.

EandM

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 09:35:30 pm »

Seriously ?

Well I much prefer it to the vans I've previously owned because it carries four or five, goes anywhere - especially remote solar panel installations and off road buildings,  has so far not got stuck on any of the new sites I've worked on, works in the snow, is brilliant at towing with 10 available gears, has a payload of rather more than you need, is very lightly stressed, has excellent all round, visibility, reliable and the selling point for me: it's designed to get wet so is absolutely ideal for transporting water and WFP.

ChumBucket

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2016, 11:42:21 pm »

Seriously ?

Well I much prefer it to the vans I've previously owned because it carries four or five, goes anywhere - especially remote solar panel installations and off road buildings,  has so far not got stuck on any of the new sites I've worked on, works in the snow, is brilliant at towing with 10 available gears, has a payload of rather more than you need, is very lightly stressed, has excellent all round, visibility, reliable and the selling point for me: it's designed to get wet so is absolutely ideal for transporting water and WFP.

Yep, really.  When 99% of people run vans over pickups then I reckon I assessment is pretty much on the money. ;)

EandM

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 07:54:15 am »

Seriously ?

Yep, really.  When 99% of people run vans over pickups then I reckon I assessment is pretty much on the money. ;)

I must be in the one percent then :)

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 06:15:41 pm »
Here is my ranger super cab.
Tbh I didn't really need a 4x4 but I chose it for its versatility, owning only one vehicle and carrying  up to 3 passengers sometimes at weekends,  I was struggling to find a van that fitted the bill in my budget and would meet all my needs.
Posting these pics just to illustrate the point that with a bit of thought you can fit everything you need in the back ( albeit not an ro system but then I didn't need to ).
I added the lockable hatch door on the side of the fiberglass hard top to make filling the 500 L tank easy and also gives good access to cleaning products placed in a bucket just inside the door. That's a S max 40 ( with 3 sections removed but would still fit ) resting diagonally on top of tank. Everything is accessible without having to drop the tailgate or climb in to the back and if the tank were empty I could have everything removed in 10 mins - very handy for me when I go away on camping trips   ;)

EandM

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
Here is my ranger super cab.
Tbh I didn't really need a 4x4 but I chose it for its versatility, owning only one vehicle and carrying  up to 3 passengers sometimes at weekends,  I was struggling to find a van that fitted the bill in my budget and would meet all my needs.
Posting these pics just to illustrate the point that with a bit of thought you can fit everything you need in the back ( albeit not an ro system but then I didn't need to ).
I added the lockable hatch door on the side of the fiberglass hard top to make filling the 500 L tank easy and also gives good access to cleaning products placed in a bucket just inside the door. That's a S max 40 ( with 3 sections removed but would still fit ) resting diagonally on top of tank. Everything is accessible without having to drop the tailgate or climb in to the back and if the tank were empty I could have everything removed in 10 mins - very handy for me when I go away on camping trips   ;)

That's really nicely done !
Same shape truck as mine though I run mine without a top on it.
I can clear mine in about 10 minutes too and it's then big enough for my bike...or a tonne of sand...or logs from the other end of the field,