This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Some ya win, some ya lose
« on: April 29, 2016, 06:05:10 pm »
Just done a follow up quote on a call from earlier in the week.
4 story 4 bed terraced town house in a very exclusive area with private communal gardens.
On meeting the owners turns out they have a cleaner already ( and a  children's nanny ) but unhappy with the stipulated duration of 2 monthly.
This I discovered once I had given my price ( duration unspecified and up to them ) that turned out to be double theirs. I gave my reasons and by her own admission she could not understand how they managed to charge the low price they did, other than they already do several other houses on the road.
I'm really not bothered ( reckon on it being a 1.5 hr job on first go ) and doubt I'll be getting a call back.
But here's the fun bit.
Just did a bit of research on the net, they bought the house in 2011 for £915,000 and two doors up sold last year for £1,120,000 !
And the most amazing bit is, they currently pay £30 every two months for their windows to be cleaned  ::)roll

dazmond

Re: Some ya win, some ya lose
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »
yep that sounds familiar mate!ive been there a few times.

some wealthy people just want a cheap cleaner.luckily its only a few here and there.id say the other cleaners are welcome to them sort of customers.you probably would find the job a P.I.T.A anyway.
price higher/work harder!

Tom-01

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »
That's why they have massive houses - because they don't like spending their money!

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 06:27:25 pm »
you probably would find the job a P.I.T.A anyway.
yeah a large pita stuffed with faff a lafel  :D

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
Ive found the ones who have money can be the most tight fisted customers going. But then im divided as i believe theres two types. Those who have alot of money and those who think they have alot of money. The latter are totally stuck up toffs whilst the former can be some of the most lovely n generous people going. Thats just ny experience anyways
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 06:45:45 pm »
Sounds like some ya win, some you don't want  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »
Sounds like some ya win, some you don't want  ;D
;)

SeanK

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:24:22 pm »
I'm too honest for this game, I price on how handy and how long it will take me to do the clean not by how much I think
somebody is worth, plus I don't find it strange that people with money still like to get a bargain.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »
I'm too honest for this game, I price on how handy and how long it will take me to do the clean not by how much I think
somebody is worth, plus I don't find it strange that people with money still like to get a bargain.
That's exactly what I did Sean.
It was not until I gave my price, that the truth came out. Nor did I have a clue as to what the house was worth until I got home and looked it up. I posted because what astounded me the most was that they considered having to agree to a two month frequency by their existing cleaners some how unreasonable and given the exceptionally reasonable price of £30 ( negligible compared to the size of the house and its value ) felt the need to even look elsewhere.
I, like you probably do, price by what my time is worth.
Was just a bit of banter I thought I would share and an illustration of "real world " pricing compared to "£300" conny roofs  ;D

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »
Honesty has nothing to do with it as if I think a 4 storey jobby is worth 60 or more I'm not going to do it for 30 now am I just because people love bargains. Some wfp window cleaners need a kick up the bum for doing jobs like that so cheap.

SeanK

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:19 pm »
It was not until I gave my price, that the truth came out. Nor did I have a clue as to what the house was worth until I got home and looked it up. I posted because what astounded me the most was that they considered having to agree to a two month frequency by their existing cleaners some how unreasonable and given the exceptionally reasonable price of £30 ( negligible compared to the size of the house and its value ) felt the need to even look elsewhere.
Was just a bit of banter I thought I would share and an illustration of "real world " pricing compared to "£300" conny roofs  ;D

Sorry Barry I totally misread your post, we have all been there, I priced a full property clean last week (fsg clean, windows cleaned inside and out, garage doors) massive property about two days work for me.
I was politely called a crook it then got a bit heated and at one stage I honestly believe he was going to set the dogs on me.
I think there are just people out there rich and poor who consider window cleaning to be nothing more than a pocket/ beer
money job.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 08:36:23 pm »
I agree with you there Sean , like one property owner who asked me to clean their windows , I said a tenner , they were shocked and said they used to get it done for £3   ???

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 09:12:30 pm »
Yep, small boys used to go up chimneys too  :D

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 09:13:51 pm »
 ;D

8weekly

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 09:38:02 pm »
I don't price on handiness, as handiness can change if you lose the next door neighbour for example. I have fixed prices for "standard" houses, but if they're especially remote or larger than "standard" they'll be a bit more.

Sorry Barry I totally misread your post, we have all been there, I priced a full property clean last week (fsg clean, windows cleaned inside and out, garage doors) massive property about two days work for me.
I was politely called a crook it then got a bit heated and at one stage I honestly believe he was going to set the dogs on me.
I think there are just people out there rich and poor who consider window cleaning to be nothing more than a pocket/ beer
money job.

Yes, there's a few of them on here.

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 07:29:41 pm »
Well, over 2 weeks have past since I posted this.
The lady texted me that night thanking me for the quote and informing me that they were going to stick with the existing guys on their 2 monthly £30 a clean job ( no surprise there ). To which I replied with a very polite text thanking her for letting me know and that I totally understood and would probably have done the same ( onto a good thing after all ).

I've got a text this evening asking if I can still fit them in as a one off at my price ( double the other guys ) because they have "missed the regular shift ", is it possible to book me in ?

I have not decided on my reply yet  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

G Griffin

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 07:37:21 pm »
You're not bothered but did a bit of research? 
Only joking! And increase your original quote, now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:46:23 pm »
Well, over 2 weeks have past since I posted this.
The lady texted me that night thanking me for the quote and informing me that they were going to stick with the existing guys on their 2 monthly £30 a clean job ( no surprise there ). To which I replied with a very polite text thanking her for letting me know and that I totally understood and would probably have done the same ( onto a good thing after all ).

I've got a text this evening asking if I can still fit them in as a one off at my price ( double the other guys ) because they have "missed the regular shift ", is it possible to book me in ?

I have not decided on my reply yet  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Something strange here. I reckon they've fallen out with the other cleaners. Otherwise they'd just wait for them to turn up again. (or they've been dumped)

If they want a one off then up the price!
It's a game of three halves!

windowswashed

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:58:24 pm »
Charge them double for a one off, then tell them its half that price afterwards for regular clean

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:02:19 pm »
yeah granville, I had thought the same, something a bit fishy going on. I'd quoted them a one off price before knowing  they had a bi monthly cleaner at half my quote so doubtful I can up it now.
I reckon they've messed the other guys about with a not this time or can we go every 4 months ? Blah blah and they've just thought sod ya, we underpriced it anyway.