This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Using pole hose on the hose reel.
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
I've been doing this for 3 weeks now (50m microbore with 50 metres of pole hose)  and overall it's a thumbs up!

Pros: Lighter and easier to "throw around"/ can carry more loops of it round the back of distant jobs than microbore/ easier - less work - to wind in.

Cons: None YET. I envisage it won't be so hard wearing as microbore but so far so good.

Neither PRO nor CON: It catches on different things - eg gaps in slabs, step corners, under gates but it also is able to slide through smaller gaps - so it's 50/50 at the moment.
It's a game of three halves!

Dave Anderson

Re: Using pole hose on the hose reel.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:08:59 am »
I asked about this about 5 years ago and was told by the 'majority' that it was not a good idea for a gazillion reasons and didn't bother taking the idea any further..... So look forward to hearing about your experiences as I am due to replace my  hose soon-ish.

Cheers
Dave.

The more I know the less I know I know ...

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 08:01:16 am »
What pole hose are you using ?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 12:30:30 pm »
Just a point to bear in mind when doing this is that the pole hose will wear out quicker as it is not as tough as reel hoses.

It would also not be covered under warranty if it did wear out prematurely as it is not designed to cope with the extra abrasion that reel hose receives.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:38:08 pm »
So has anybody done this entirely with pole hose ?
I only have 60 meters of microbore on my reel and that only is ever all used once every 6 weeks and tbh I could get away with 50.
So am thinking of ordering 100 m of the new reinforced gardiners stuff and using 50 m, keeping 50 m as replacement when it wears out.

robbo333

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:25:05 pm »
I use 40m of minibore with about 50m of gardiners reinforced pole hose. Works well for me  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

AuRavelling79

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »
Just a point to bear in mind when doing this is that the pole hose will wear out quicker as it is not as tough as reel hoses.

It would also not be covered under warranty if it did wear out prematurely as it is not designed to cope with the extra abrasion that reel hose receives.

I didn't know there even was a warranty on pole hose! I just took the view that if I'm numpty enough to use it for a purpose unintended then that's my lookout. But I'm the sort that will put in hose joiners and the like.

If I get six months out of it then I believe that will have saved me loads of effort and time.

Mind you as the weather warms up I might find it pinches more easily and becomes a "fail" in that regard.

;D

trafficjamz

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:23 pm »
For well over a year I used 50m microbore and 50m unger reinforced pole hose. When that got tatty looking, I went for 100m all season pole hose, which I used for over 6 months.  The 1st 20m wore down quickly and I kept cutting small sections off until I had about 60m left.
Last month I changed it to 100m of the gardiners reinforced, and so far it's been great.

Anything between 6-12 months use is perfectly acceptable to me.  I find it much easier to work with, especially reeling in!

Oh and if one end gets rough looking, swap it around and get some more use out of it.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 09:01:37 pm »
For well over a year I used 50m microbore and 50m unger reinforced pole hose. When that got tatty looking, I went for 100m all season pole hose, which I used for over 6 months.  The 1st 20m wore down quickly and I kept cutting small sections off until I had about 60m left.
Last month I changed it to 100m of the gardiners reinforced, and so far it's been great.

Anything between 6-12 months use is perfectly acceptable to me.  I find it much easier to work with, especially reeling in!

Oh and if one end gets rough looking, swap it around and get some more use out of it.
Thank you for the reply that was what I was meaning. Several on here seem to be using x amount of reel hose and adding x amount of pole hose to that. My concern was that without any micro or minibore on the reel would the pump cope with pole hose ok ? I know there is only a mm in it between pole hose and microbore but pump manufacturers used not even honor the warranty on a pump if it was used with mini or microbore. But from what I am reading (on here at least ) all seems ok.

trafficjamz

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 10:25:12 pm »
I never knew that about the pump warranty.
One guy I knew used 50/50 because he tried the full 100m but said his shurflo 100psi couldn't cope.  Next thing he'd bought a 150psi pump and told me it was now fine with 100m of pole hose.

I first of all tried it out with my shurflo 100, expecting to have problems, but after adjusting the pressure on the controller it worked great.  So I stuck with it, and have done so for almost 8 months now with no pump problems.  Not sure why the other guy couldn't get it working, maybe he only knew how to adjust the flow on his controller

Steven Biggs

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:07 am »
Are you using it on your pole . Or just on your reel . Does anyone use it on there pole . With it being %36 heavier wondered if it was too heavy . Just ordered 100 metres . 15 metres is going on the trolley . Might put 50 metres on the reel connected to the microbore . What connection do you use for the microbore .       Cheers Barry .

Tony dunmall

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:56 am »
I use 30 meters micro bore 50 meters exceed pole hose with the tubeless kit from exceed

We have both 100 psi and 150psi

The 150 psi is used for fan jets

Connectors I use are all from exceed

This arrangement works fine pumps don't seem to struggle or over heat

Just see how it gets on with the electric reel now

john stracey

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:56:15 am »
Was just wondering what is the intended use for reinforced pole hose, as it adds a lot of weight when you use it up a pole

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
What pole hose are you using ?

Sorry - missed this post. Whatever the basic yellow Gardiners stuff is - it's no cheaper than their microbore but that's not the point.

Early this morning I did two large four storey Victorian semis in Bristol and parking was difficult and so I had to run hose about 40m up the pavement, then down some steps and far enough into the back garden to reach the upper back windows. I was able to coil up about 40m of pole house and walk to the gate (the first 90 degree turn) and I could use the trip hazard cones as low angle fulcrums for the hose to avoid a closely parked car without them pulling over or sliding along.

trafficjamz

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
I moved from an SLX to an XTREME last month and started out with 100m reinforced hose going straight up the pole. The reason I went to the XTREME was to be as light at possible. But the extra weight of the hose made it no lighter than the SLX. So now I've gone back to using enough all season hose for the pole then using a coupler to go into the reinforced hose.
The connector keeps getting caught on everything which is really annoying me.
Not sure what to do next

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 11:00:01 am »
I moved from an SLX to an XTREME last month and started out with 100m reinforced hose going straight up the pole. The reason I went to the XTREME was to be as light at possible. But the extra weight of the hose made it no lighter than the SLX. So now I've gone back to using enough all season hose for the pole then using a coupler to go into the reinforced hose.
The connector keeps getting caught on everything which is really annoying me.
Not sure what to do next

We would recommend using a Protecta-Ball on the pole hose just before the male coupling plug. This will keep the coupling off the ground and help prevent catching. This is how all of our poles are sent out to clients as it does make a difference.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 11:04:40 am »
Was just wondering what is the intended use for reinforced pole hose, as it adds a lot of weight when you use it up a pole

The intended use is for using in poles - mainly for those that are not worried about the extra weight, but want the toughness and also the ease of handling. I would not  recommend it on poles above about 35ft because of the extra weight.

It is lovely hose and I use it on my shorter poles for use on my house - but for the poles I use at work I stick to to the lighter all-season hose still.

Steven Biggs

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 11:28:46 am »
But what connection do you need to connect it to microbore . Cheers Barry

Steven Biggs

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 11:40:35 am »
Also while your doing nowt Alex . I placed this order about 7 this morning . And it still has not arrived . .  :)

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2016, 11:51:52 am »
But what connection do you need to connect it to microbore . Cheers Barry
a barbed joiner , I'd go with a 6 mm one and just heat up the pole hose in boiled water and try a bit of brute force, should work