Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

scrubadub

Re: Window Cleaner/Firefighter!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:29:19 pm »
i am a retained fire fighter, i say retained as its not part time and i actually cover my station 24/7, we have two contract we can run on 120 hrs and 80 hrs per week. this gives you 2 days off if you want them on the 120 hr contract. ( which i dont) the problem with wholetime firefighters is they have to have 1 day off either side of their shift so the 2 middle days off they are free to do what work they like.
as for window cleaning, i do that too along with the rest of my cleaning business.
take a look and come and join us on www.retainedfirefighter.com
it is a good wage, good feel good factor and it pays a pension, full training and certifcation in many different fields, eg first aid, lgv, hgv, working at height etc.
Scrubadub Cleaning Services

N'tro

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:24 am »
I can tell you exactly how it works.   you apply to your chief fire officer detailing what you wish to undertake on you days off. They look at it and either grant you permission or not. If they grant it you are well within your rights to work, if they do not grant it, you would be subject to discipline if you carried on working regardless . It falls under gross misconduct so it would b tad more serious than a slap on the wrist if you were caught without permission. Anybody if they have any sense would get the permission, thou if they are undercutting I doubt wether they have. I no its a free country an people can charge wot they like etc etc but it only ruins the job for everyone in the end.

Hope this helps

Thanks  for that davet im glad you can see it for wot itis. Im all for subsidising a low income are low payed but cutting the job up at the cost of others is "wrong".I've put a lot into this new trade n want to make a good business out of it, we out bin forced back to mending trucks as my job.But i suppose there wunt be out to stop me doin that n doin windows on side but then ide be know better than the 2 fire lads but my morals n ethics are better than that..

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 11:12:15 am »
Dennis & Ronnie

I see where you're comming from but actually I am full time Window Cleaning and part time Firefighting.

My Window Cleaning Company pays full Employers Liability Insurance and I personally am classed as having 2 jobs so the Fire Job is taxed at Basic Rate 22%

Sorry thats not right if your main employement lets say for arguments sake Employed P.A.Y.E THEN HAVE A SECOND JOB THE TAX ON THAT INCOME IS AT 40%.. SO IF YOUR SELF EMPLOYED/SOLE TRADER YOUR 2ND SOURCE OF INCOME IS ALSO AT 40%..IF IT INT THEN YOUR ON THE FIDDLE N NOT DECLARING THE INCOME..ARE YOUR DECLARING MINIMAL INCOME N DUCKING N DIVING THE TAX MAN :-\

any second income is declared in your tax return!!!!
the whole of your income is counted for your tax return not just 1st income and second income.
I use to work as a delivery driver at a pizza store 3 days a week whilst I was cleaning windows full time.
I was on paye.
they take that into consideration when completing the tax return.
you pay 40% on PROFIT after 38K no matter how many incomes you recieve.
Plus a retained firefighter get approx £2,000 per year plus about £10 per hour for call out.
I am in the process of applying for a position of a retained firefighter in Burnham-on-Crouch.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

LWC

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 01:56:17 pm »
i am a retained fire fighter, i say retained as its not part time and i actually cover my station 24/7, we have two contract we can run on 120 hrs and 80 hrs per week. this gives you 2 days off if you want them on the 120 hr contract. ( which i dont) the problem with wholetime firefighters is they have to have 1 day off either side of their shift so the 2 middle days off they are free to do what work they like.
as for window cleaning, i do that too along with the rest of my cleaning business.
take a look and come and join us on www.retainedfirefighter.com
it is a good wage, good feel good factor and it pays a pension, full training and certifcation in many different fields, eg first aid, lgv, hgv, working at height etc.

Hey scrubadub, thats a nice website who made it (lol)

Im wanting to go fulltime and when i do ill still do some windows on my days off. Gosh why some of you get so upity! The original post said does anyone else do it. Not do you declare all your earnings.

ptwt

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 06:26:57 pm »
Dont bother becoming a retained firefighter its not worth the hassle you get, just ask dave who started this thread he quit firefighting a few years ago.

scrubadub

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
Dont bother becoming a retained firefighter its not worth the hassle you get, just ask dave who started this thread he quit firefighting a few years ago.
what hassle is there in being a fire fighter?
Scrubadub Cleaning Services

bobby p

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 10:10:38 pm »
a retained firefighter in my town kept foning 999 up pretending he was a landlord wiv a chimney fire , all manner of false alerts etc and it took a long long time till he was sussed and charged . i guess he did it to get extra money for the callouts

ptwt

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »
what hassle is there in being a fire fighter?

Alot, providing retained cover is a very big comitment and you have to make alot of sacrifices but don't expect anythanks for it. One brief example I went on a training course for the fire service as a direct result of this course i was ill (and so were most of the people involved in the course) due to being ill i lost the best part of a weeks work. When i was asked if i could have some fianacial help i was told yes i could but never recieved a penny. This is just one of a list of things, if you put yourself out for the comunity then you would expect that just occasionally you might recieve some help when you need it yourself.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »
i have the upmost respect for anyone whos a firefighter/nurse/doctor etc.these people do a lot for other people and in some cases risk their lives to save others.

my girlfriend is a teacher in a tough school.i take my hat of to her.i couldnt do her job.i earn more in a day most days than she earns in a week and ive never been to uni and all that studying and hassle.

they really should be applauded.

dazmond
price higher/work harder!

lee09

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »
i have the upmost respect for anyone whos a firefighter/nurse/doctor etc.these people do a lot for other people and in some cases risk their lives to save others.

my girlfriend is a teacher in a tough school.i take my hat of to her.i couldnt do her job.i earn more in a day most days than she earns in a week and ive never been to uni and all that studying and hassle.

dazmond
Thats as maybe Daz, but teachers and nurses do not generally have or are allowed to  have a second income.
Lee

JS_Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 02:55:32 am »
well iv been planning a night out with my mates for 4 weeks now, was meant to head out with em at 7:30 tonight, unfortunatly had a firecall at 5pm which i have only just arrived home from 10 mins ago, yes there is plently of sacrafice to be made this is but 1 of many examples

LWC

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:40 am »
But think of the extra dosh  ;D

ptwt

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »

Thats as maybe Daz, but teachers and nurses do not generally have or are allowed to  have a second income.
Lee
This thread was started by a retained firefighter you may not understand what this means.
A high proportion of the country can not afford or justify the cost of having firefighters sat at a firestation waiting for call outs so the stations have retained or on call firefighters these men and women recieve a small retaining  fee (less than most window cleaners would earn in a day and a half) for being on call then the get paid for any call outs they attend, the money they recieve for this is not a living wage. So if you go to a retained firestation it is more than likely no one will be there, most people find this shocking as their expectation is that stations are manned 24/7.
Most retained firefighters have a full time job from which they can be called away at anytime for me this is window cleaning, when i get called out and im on fire service time my hourly rate is less than half my window cleaning hourly rate. Other firefighters are shift workers who provide cover inbetween their shifts.

Having retained stations saves this country millions, retained firefighters pay tax on their full time jobs and their retained earnings, and some even lose money at times serving the comunity. It can be rewarding being a retained firefighter but knowing what i know now i would not join the fire service.

As for full time firefighters having second jobs if they have permission and are legit in their window cleaning business whats the problem, thousands of people have second jobs including teachers. If people are tax dodgeing then i have a problem with that.

lee09

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 07:55:10 pm »

dazmond
Lee
There wage is very poor, would you rather they become a full time window cleaner ?

I would say fair play to them, and again I would thank them, you never know one day you may need there help being pulled from a burning building (you would look at it different then) more so if it was your kids these people save.....
God forbid I or anyone should need them I just hope I would be helped by a professional that was not having to hold down two jobs to support his family.
Personally I think firemen are grossly underpaid for what they are expected to do and yes Ian I have no problems with them becoming window cleaners.
Full time firemen that clean windows, mow lawns or decorate I think devalue these jobs and have a 23k head start on us
ptwt. I am aware the thread was about retained firemen, but it had wandered before my post ;D
Lee

LWC

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:21 pm »
Lol

Some retained people are volunteers to so dont get paid, thats a real sacrifice. But if i was retained i would like something for my time, even if it is less than window cleaning we still need to earn a living. 

lee09

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 08:16:14 pm »
Ian you have not read it all but commented, you bad man. ;D
Have a good week it's going to be nice.
Lee

lee09

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »
Ian you have not read it all but commented, you bad man. ;D
Have a good week it's going to be nice.
Lee
Lee it is sunday night, the weekend has nearly gone, you most have hard a far better time than I did for the last 2 days lmao
Not quite with you there fella, but will not rise to it, have a good week.
Lee