Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

W.booler

Mrs Doubtfire.....
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:42:22 pm »
I canvassed a new customer yesterday and got a good price on it... I'm in transition from trad to wfp, so put her straight onto wfp.. I spent a lot of time on it and was pleased with the results, until I drove past today! This old dear looks like Mrs Doubtfire and I can just picture her face when she opened the blind this morning. Thankfully only one window has two openers above one large pane. What a bloody mess! I parked the van out of sight and tradded the offending pane, she'll think she's gone mad when she close the blind tonight and sees a spotless window..  ??? Lesson learned!

Tosh

Re: Mrs Doubtfire.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:03:19 pm »
Its all well and good scrubbing, its the rinsing thats important on first cleans and usually the following 2 or so.

Rinse, rinse and rinse some more.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

W.booler

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 07:38:57 pm »
Yeah you're right there. I gave it some welly, knowing that it would be a problem. Should I persevere with scrubbing and rinsing these type of Windows or should I run a damp brush between them with no flow as some guys seem to suggest. I don't mind putting in the effort, if I know that the end result is as good as it can be?

SeanK

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 07:40:13 pm »
That will be water leaking from the openers, if its bad enough to see when driving past then they will always
cause problems, I have one property like that and I'm not joking there's still water leaking onto the glass below 4 hours later
the opener frame just seems to fill up with water, luckily its a bungalow that I just trad now or it would have been dumped.

SeanK

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 07:47:34 pm »
Yeah you're right there. I gave it some welly, knowing that it would be a problem. Should I persevere with scrubbing and rinsing these type of Windows or should I run a damp brush between them with no flow as some guys seem to suggest. I don't mind putting in the effort, if I know that the end result is as good as it can be?
[/quote

If your talking about along the top of the frame above a vent then running a damp brush along it will make little or no difference
to the clean.
Wrap a damp microfiber over the brush and run it along for a better result, a couple of small plastic crocodile clips will help
secure it if it doesn't stay on the brush.

W.booler

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »
Thanks chaps. Thankfully it's a dormer, and the problem window is ground floor, so I'll trad that one. 😊

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 09:25:59 pm »
I transitioned after 14 yrs trad onto wfp june of last yr. It was a steap learning curve, of research n watching many videos (I personally liked perry on future of cleaning) and then shifted through bad advice. Then the practice came in. I was like a complete novice again, having to relearn the windows (hydrophobic etc, bad seals, oils etc etc). My smallest stretch normally took me less than a day, took ne 2 days to do!! It was painful, but ive finally perfected my technique and it takes no time at all now. I now kno all my problem areas and fixes for them. I really begrudge getting ladders off!!
Stick at it and go thru this pain barrier,  as sometimes (most of time!) Its down to the technique and rinsing. But this you will soon learn, esp as u said u dont mind the effort.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

W.booler

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 10:14:40 pm »
Thanks for that Nathan, I'll check out the videos 😊.

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:14 pm »
Did you learn nothing  ;D

Hope the swap is going ok.

Damo.

W.booler

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:47:17 pm »
Of course I did, but until you're hands on it's different! Yeah, other than the obvious it's going great, customers love it... I'd wondered where you'd gone, more identifiable as the no. 23! 😊

Soupy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »
Not seen a window you can't WFP yet.

You are making a rod for your own back by squeegeeing windows. You watch, she'll want them all done that way if she catches you at it. We tell all our first cleans to check their windows once they are dry and we'll go back and do them again if they are not 100%

I've seen us go back 2 or 3 times but it's OK, once it's been done right it's easy.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Smurf

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 11:47:34 pm »
For troublesome windows why not just microfiber cloth off any drips or spotting marks which would be much easier and quicker than washing the glass again surely?  That’s assuming the rest of the glass is clean.

Vents & frame drainage holes leaching out dirty water are generally the cause of drip marks on glass

SeanK

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 06:55:16 am »
Not seen a window you can't WFP yet.

You are making a rod for your own back by squeegeeing windows. You watch, she'll want them all done that way if she catches you at it. We tell all our first cleans to check their windows once they are dry and we'll go back and do them again if they are not 100%

I've seen us go back 2 or 3 times but it's OK, once it's been done right it's easy.

Point 1, just because you haven't come across one doesn't mean they don't exist.
Point 2, A customer shouldn't have to complain to get a proper job done.
Point 3, Most people don't like complaining and tend to put up with or get rid.
Point 4 Most customers only want a decent job done for the price paid and couldn't care less what tools you use to achieve it
I would rather risk the odd one asking me to squeegee the whole property which they wont get than risk doing a bad job and
ruining my reputation.
Point 5, Pulling out a squeegee now and again to do a problematic ground floor window isn't going to bust your back.

SeanK

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:16 am »
[1].gif[/img]
For troublesome windows why not just microfiber cloth off any drips or spotting marks which would be much easier and quicker than washing the glass again surely?  That’s assuming the rest of the glass is clean.

Vents & frame drainage holes leaching out dirty water are generally the cause of drip marks on glass

Totally agree its also the fact that a lot of window frames seem to have been designed by morons, in older frames the drainage
holes would be placed so when the water drained out it wouldn't hit the glass below, in the newer low profile frames its not
even a consideration.
Not joking I do ones where the drainage hole on the opener is above the rubber draught seal so the water has no option but to sit
behind the rubber seal and drain out slowly through the seal onto the glass below with all the gathered dirt that I cant get to
plus what comes off the degraded seal.

Soupy

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 08:00:33 am »
So long as I don't find one I don't care. I had the odd customer that insisted on squeegees, I ended up having to be brutal, WFP or nothing.

I agree about the complaining, it's difficult to convince some people that we are actually happy to come back and clean them again. I think we've got the patter all but nailed though.

It won't break your back to squeegee a window but what's the point? WFP is more effective and more time efficient.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

W.booler

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 10:01:48 am »
Thanks for sharing your experience guys. I knew of these problems, but until I used the pole I hadn't even noticed some of these drain holes. My first problem came when I did a top opener and she had 3 drain holes, like Sean said all above the large pane below. Now I start first on that one do the rest of the house and next door and finish by rinsing the large pane below. Would you guys use a microfibre above this opener as its proved to be a problem? Thanks in advance