This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JSMC

licence hinders my business
« on: March 01, 2016, 08:06:45 pm »
I have a licence for a few councils up here but it is a hindrance if you want to take someone on to help you for say a few days here n there.

Also feel for guys who employ n then find out worker is no use. Few quid down the drain n time wasted on application.

The licence does nothing but restrict a business if you need a worker quick. Surely this could be overturned as it restricts a business operating. I dont hear of licence for plumbers n sparks etc.

Smurf

Re: licence hinders my business
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 08:17:05 pm »
I feel for you guy's up in Scotland & northern border counties that require a licence as sounds a right pain in the arse.
You should all get together and petition the Scottish gov to get it abolished as is just a money making scandal if you ask me. Most council don’t have the enforcement resources to bring none licence holders to task but are happy to take your money.

JSMC

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 08:21:39 pm »
I am going to be contacting a few councils and mps/ msp's as i feel this is not fare on our business.

JSMC

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 10:40:52 am »
For all the folks in england wanting licences for your work, be careful what ye wish for.

Smurf

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:17:43 am »
We obviously don't have the same problem of scumbags going around with ladder pretending to be window cleaners robbing properties and folk like they do in Scotland. That was the main reason why they brought it into force to help cut down the crime rate. 

Hence why different Scottish council run boroughs do background check before issuing a licence. The ludicrous thing is if you happen to work in more than one borough you have to apply for a separate licence to work in each area. Not to mention every employee has to have their own licence not matter how long they stay as you have already mentioned.

To top it off apparently from what I've heard some Scottish council boroughs have opted out (not enforcing) the licensing scheme so window cleaner don’t have to pay for a licence. 

No wonder why Scottish window cleaning firms are up in arms as I would be too

jonboywalton75

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:30:14 am »
I cleaned  my first  school the other week and they didn't even ask for a crb check
I'm in England

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:48:25 am »
Know of plenty folks who have a licence and have been in jail etc. It is a tax n nothing else.

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 11:54:06 am »
Know of plenty folks who have a licence and have been in jail etc. It is a tax n nothing else.

I do believe in Scotland they will pay for x cons to do a window cleaning nvq too as part of their rehabilitation back into society. How ironic is that ;D

JSMC

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:41 pm »
Criminals in every line of work.  You cannot use this against people all their life.

Bankers are the biggest criminals about.

Edge Clean

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:47:44 pm »
I am going to be contacting a few councils and mps/ msp's as i feel this is not fare on our business.

JSMC
do you have a contact number? I would like to discuss licensing with you if possible, I have recently started correspondence with the Scottish Government, with the aim of getting a review into current licensing system and trying to improve it for the better.

Cheers

Tam

JSMC

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 06:00:47 pm »
Tam

Text me yer number

Soupy

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 06:24:10 am »
Did you boys get anywhere with this? I'm about to approach my council too and wandered how far you got.
They're eeeting the dogs.
They're eeeting the cats.
They're eeeting the pets,
of the people who live there.

Edge Clean

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 11:25:44 am »
Soupy,

This is a work in progress, with running my window cleaning round and trying to establish another 2 part time businesses, I am only able to devout 3 or 4 hours a week to this matter.

The scottish government set up a task group in 2002 to review licensing, this was a golden opportunity for window cleaners to have their say, but I don't think it was publicised enough as the only respondents from the window cleaning industry were the FWC and 2 window cleaners.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2002/07/15094/8708

The above was the document related to the review, I have in my possession the responses from all councils, organisations and individuals who responded, thanks to Davies Park and Doug Atkinson who took the time to go to edinburgh to get these documents for me. I may have to go back there myself though as they didn't realise there was another section of the responses on enforcement that we forgot to copy.

I am currently corresponding with the department within the scottish government who have the power to grant another review, however before they will consider it I am having to do loads of research and then to lodge a report requesting a review with them.

I am currently trying to do this single handed, but hoping my sons girlfriend who has just passed her law degree at Aberdeen Uni, will be able to help with the legal stuff, hopefully for free.

One task I am going to have to get round to soon is contacting all the councils again for info, on things such as license numbers, fees, length of license, enforcement procedures, conditions of licensing, etc.

I am also interested to hear from as many window cleaners as possible, licensed or unlicensed with their views on licensing and what changes they would like to system. I will make a separate post on this next week.

My personal view on licensing is that it is retained, but control of it is removed from the local authorities and run by a separate government department at national level or as a sub division within police Scotland.
With the merging of the old police forces and formation of a single body, Police Scotland, there is no longer any need for a window cleaner who needs multiple licenses to have to apply to several councils for the same police background check to be carried out several times. One police check should be sufficient to clear you to operate throughout Scotland, on one license. There are also variations of conditions and application requirements required by different councils, ie a minor conviction can get you a licence in one area but not in another..there are to many differences to list here, they should all be combined and simplified.
Types of licenses are a big issue as well..one year, 3 years, but no temporary license so that you can work during the application process which could take 21 days to 6 months to complete and the fees vary across the country from less than £50 upto £400.

Major changes are needed

Soupy

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »
Where in Scotland are you?

Edge Clean

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 01:05:42 pm »
Glenrothes in Fife

My son lives and works in your neck of the woods...lives Newburgh, works Haigs Butchers in the city...I'm going up there for a week in August, if you want to meet up to discuss licensing.

Soupy

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 02:05:42 pm »
Glenrothes in Fife

My son lives and works in your neck of the woods...lives Newburgh, works Haigs Butchers in the city...I'm going up there for a week in August, if you want to meet up to discuss licensing.

That would be good. We've had many issues over the years but have never been sure on the best way forward to affect any change. We are about to approach the council with ideas how the licensing could be improved (for us and for them). I suppose change nationally is what's really needed.

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
I cleaned  my first  school the other week and they didn't even ask for a crb check
I'm in England

They won't if you clean out of hours or during holidays. I wouldn't clean with the kids there anyway.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

JSMC

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »
Tam i lost yer number that day ye called.

ChumBucket

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 08:49:21 pm »
It was always a stupid idea that was never going to do any good! ::)roll

SeanK

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »
I wonder, has anybody actually been taken to court over this nonsense and if so what have they actually been done for ?
Surely its not illegal to clean windows in Scotland unless you charge, so here's an idea call yourself a door cleaner and offer to
clean the windows for free for all your door cleaning customers.
Doesn't matter if your charging the same to clean two doors as the shiner up the road is charging for the windows as long as the
customer is alright with the cost. lol.