This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: Window Cleaners Have Different Mindsets. Be Part Of The 10%.
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:17 am »
Funny how people get this overwhelming desire to drive themselves onwards and upwards. When I got cancer I had a short spell in hospital and looked around at the guys who wern't coming out. Strangely it never occurred to me that should I not recover I would regret not being the biggest bragger on CIU (actually I was a printer at the time). It had the opposite affect on me.
Material things don't mean a lot at the end of the day, to me seeing my family meant far more. When I got home I vowed never to work overtime again, spend more time with my kids and have more sex. I've achieved nearly all of those points.
So to me most people have a skewed way of looking at life, success, fulfilment and money mean bugger all to me. As long as I've got enough to live, eat, have the odd holiday is all I need. I have no mortgage  on my main house and live a fairly comfortable life.
You also become more tolerant and less selfish when you witness people going through life threatening illnesses.
To pretend you are superior to everyone and even categorise them and ridicule their spelling ability makes me laugh.

best post on here for a while dave!

ambition can cut you down and annihilate all the things worthwhile in life.if your forever chasing the money and working very long days and weekends, family life and personal relationships suffer as well as your health.(eventually)

theres nothing wrong with striving to better your business and income as long as you can " enjoy the journey" and take time out for family and friends.

some people have a restlessness that just doesnt wane and strive to be the" biggest and best".its all related to the ego and stems from insecurity and fear.

sometimes once in a while a devastating personal  illness or death in the family for instance can deflate the prideful balloon that some people have blown up around themselves.
price higher/work harder!

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:31 am »
I can see where this one is going already.

Yep me to.

Steve its a good post but I really think its more like 70%, 25%, 5% which is why your about to be shot to bits.

I dont think Steve said anything about fulfillment in his post. Im sure that is different for everyone. How does anyone know if one person that works 14 hours a day or not is more or less fulfilled than the next person?

I know how this will sound but I would like to see either a new forum or a new section to the forum for those with the larger businesses just because topics of interest would be different. For example im not interested in the latest brush, pole ect.... Im more intested in the issues of a bigger business, which are a million miles from the day to day of a single opperator. I can say that with confidence as I have been a single opperator. A friend of mine with a 30 van courier business has given me a lot of advice over the last year which is helping me to grow right now. Its not about poles and brushes, its about, tax,vat,employment, marketing, accountants, dividends, premises, office staff, finance, so on and so on. It would be useful to have discusion like that on here but it seems if you want to be bigger or are bigger you get cut down. Funny how you dont get cut down asking about a new pole!

The 'best' comment I have read on here in a very long time. I rarely contribute/post on here now. (busy building my business and fed up of the snipers)
Can anyone advise me of the best cheap leisure battery to buy?
 :)

In other words you feel you have nothing more to learn and have no interest in giving anything you have learned back,
if you have no interest in contributing on here then fair enough that's your choice but don't use a bit of snipping as
an excuse, the battery remark just shows what type of person you really are. ::)roll

That's a good point. People often forget how they started.

I was with my wife once and saw a window cleaner working out of a tatty car and I made a disparaging comment. She told me off and reminded me of the car I used to have and low paid work I had and how I was in a fortunate position now, and maybe that guy could be en route to getting there as well.

Now if I get too big for my boots I try to remember how I started off. I'm sure most of the guys with multiple vans, offices etc started off on their own and didn't know it all back then. So to be on a cleaning forum and take the mick of people who ask for the help that could easily be provided, be it which brush, battery, van etc is a bit hypocritical. I think I should get my wife an account on here so she can tell everyone off  ;D

This forum is a great collection of all the info you will ever need to start and run either your own round or your own business, BUT, its like having instructions for setting up a new TV,if not used correctly it's pointless having them.

SeanK

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 08:34:27 am »
There is always plenty more to learn Sean K.
I gave advise on 'batteries' a year or so ago, guess what? I then got shot down. (Ex autoelectrician but that didn't matter to all the snipers)
I do think you would be good for the government as a psychological profiler. Deducing my personality from one comment about a battery is outstanding.

Well there you go David as I didn't know that story it looked to me that you where having a go at someone on a tight budget
looking for a cheap battery, so its very easy to post something on here and have it mistaken for a snipe comment which is something to think about if that's your reason for no longer wishing to comment.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2016, 08:38:47 am »
Funny how people get this overwhelming desire to drive themselves onwards and upwards. When I got cancer I had a short spell in hospital and looked around at the guys who wern't coming out. Strangely it never occurred to me that should I not recover I would regret not being the biggest bragger on CIU (actually I was a printer at the time). It had the opposite affect on me.
Material things don't mean a lot at the end of the day, to me seeing my family meant far more. When I got home I vowed never to work overtime again, spend more time with my kids and have more sex. I've achieved nearly all of those points.
So to me most people have a skewed way of looking at life, success, fulfilment and money mean bugger all to me. As long as I've got enough to live, eat, have the odd holiday is all I need. I have no mortgage  on my main house and live a fairly comfortable life.
You also become more tolerant and less selfish when you witness people going through life threatening illnesses.
To pretend you are superior to everyone and even categorise them and ridicule their spelling ability makes me laugh.

ambition can cut you down and annihilate all the things worthwhile in life.if your forever chasing the money and working very long days and weekends, family life and personal relationships suffer as well as your health.(eventually)

theres nothing wrong with striving to better your business and income as long as you can " enjoy the journey" and take time out for family and friends.

some people have a restlessness that just doesnt wane and strive to be the" biggest and best".its all related to the ego and stems from insecurity and fear.

sometimes once in a while a devastating personal  illness or death in the family for instance can deflate the prideful balloon that some people have blown up around themselves.

Thanks for that daz. My intention is to build a business that doesn't need my input on a daily basis for me to earn money. If I fall off my mountain bike in an hours time or trip over bowling with the kids later  today then I don't need to panick as I know I'm still earning and my family are provided for. My grandfather is receiving end of life care at the moment and its great I can spend everyday with him whilst still earning instead of having to pop in here and there.
I am 41 and after 5 years of business building I can now choose what I want to do today, not what I have to do.
Enjoying the journey? HELL YEAH!

Rich Wilts

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 08:46:23 am »
Yes, go and sit with your grand-father. End of life time with a relative doesn't get more precious than that. You know you'll be glad you did. Death is a sad time but it brings out something within us we don't normally exhibit. Thank you for mentioning that, reflection is always a good thing.

dazmond

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2016, 08:47:33 am »
fair play david.all the best mate.
price higher/work harder!

jonboywalton75

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2016, 09:22:19 am »
Sometimes a quick comment  can seem  wrong
That comment about a round "or" a business  can seen slightly snobbish,  I suppose  we've all done it at times.
A round is a business  is it not ;D

Mick Kent

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2016, 11:11:41 am »
I can see where this one is going already.

Yep me to.

Steve its a good post but I really think its more like 70%, 25%, 5% which is why your about to be shot to bits.

I dont think Steve said anything about fulfillment in his post. Im sure that is different for everyone. How does anyone know if one person that works 14 hours a day or not is more or less fulfilled than the next person?

I know how this will sound but I would like to see either a new forum or a new section to the forum for those with the larger businesses just because topics of interest would be different. For example im not interested in the latest brush, pole ect.... Im more intested in the issues of a bigger business, which are a million miles from the day to day of a single opperator. I can say that with confidence as I have been a single opperator. A friend of mine with a 30 van courier business has given me a lot of advice over the last year which is helping me to grow right now. Its not about poles and brushes, its about, tax,vat,employment, marketing, accountants, dividends, premises, office staff, finance, so on and so on. It would be useful to have discusion like that on here but it seems if you want to be bigger or are bigger you get cut down. Funny how you dont get cut down asking about a new pole!

The 'best' comment I have read on here in a very long time. I rarely contribute/post on here now. (busy building my business and fed up of the snipers)
Can anyone advise me of the best cheap leisure battery to buy?
 :)

In other words you feel you have nothing more to learn and have no interest in giving anything you have learned back,
if you have no interest in contributing on here then fair enough that's your choice but don't use a bit of snipping as
an excuse, the battery remark just shows what type of person you really are. ::)roll

Aggreed.
Anothe Vin type of guy....

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2016, 03:46:23 pm »
Still got seats to fill Steve?
Well?
Yes, but please contact me off-forum.  Thanks.

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2016, 04:05:31 pm »

Thanks for that daz. My intention is to build a business that doesn't need my input on a daily basis for me to earn money. If I fall off my mountain bike in an hours time or trip over bowling with the kids later  today then I don't need to panick as I know I'm still earning and my family are provided for. My grandfather is receiving end of life care at the moment and its great I can spend everyday with him whilst still earning instead of having to pop in here and there.
I am 41 and after 5 years of business building I can now choose what I want to do today, not what I have to do.
Enjoying the journey? HELL YEAH!
Hi David.

I have liked your previous comments and this one is exactly where I'm at.   Key phrase:

"Live a few years like few others will, to live the rest of your life like few others can."

I'm 35 and have the right people around me so that if I'm in a coma for 3 months, my income, house and business will still be in tact.  I choose when to work and when I don't want to work.  I was gutter cleaning from a cherry picker on Monday because I fancied doing it, I was on the road pricing jobs on Tuesday, was in the office yesterday, this morning I've had a meeting with a company who have 61 commercial roofs with panels on that they want cleaning and am now tatting about, and tomorrow I am at the franchise show at the NEC, making further advances with international franchising.

I mention all of this because I have variation in my week and it is not all high pressure, high intensity stuff as some make out.  I do not have to 'work' really.  Work is only work if it is not enjoyable.  If your 'work' is enjoyable, as mine is, it is more of a hobby.  I can do pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want and that's a nice lifestyle to have at 35 instead of being on the tools with no end of that in sight.  I like where I am.

deeege

« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2016, 04:18:04 pm »

SNIP

Nice one Steve.

Not many young entrepreneurs can say they have semi retired and become Vat registered in the same year. That takes some beating.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2016, 04:39:54 pm »
Hi Steve, I came back into window cleaning again around 5 years ago after quite a few years off. I have in the past been involved with 'MLM' companies and really like the concept of 'residual income'. Although the involvement with the 'MLM' companies did not provide the right opportunity for me, what I did learn through the reading of books and attending seminars was priceless.
Applying some of what I learned to my 'window cleaning business' and using  'franchising' as the platform for building it has brought me encouraging results.
Glad you are on the right track too.
Regards,
David.     

ChumBucket

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »
I'm still waiting for the "Halle Berry style"  Academy Award acceptance speech! ;D Don't all the "Big Boys" do them? ;D

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 09:15:31 pm »
Hi Steve, I came back into window cleaning again around 5 years ago after quite a few years off. I have in the past been involved with 'MLM' companies and really like the concept of 'residual income'. Although the involvement with the 'MLM' companies did not provide the right opportunity for me, what I did learn through the reading of books and attending seminars was priceless.
Applying some of what I learned to my 'window cleaning business' and using  'franchising' as the platform for building it has brought me encouraging results.
Glad you are on the right track too.
Regards,
David.   
  Hi David, just out of curiosity are you any relation to Jerry and Mandy Kent who were involved with Jerry/Mandy Scriven and Pat/Greata Gregory from IBS ( International Business Systems) or again if any other guys on here were involved with IBS when they were going strong in the UK a few years back as i say just out of curiosity. Tadgh

Barryy

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2016, 11:13:28 pm »
You are both of that opinion because you have presumed that I think living a fulfilling life is linked with your work. It is in a way because your work influences heavily your lifestyle. But work should never be the be all and end all. The seminars of the guys I mention in my OP speak as much about personal development as they do advancing your business.

They say that you should worker harder on yourself than you do on your business and I'm a bit advocate of that. The world would be and will be a better place if and when people do that.
Oops, is that a spelling mistake? Tut tut.