Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

S.W. Window Cleaning

Removing Sticky Labels
« on: February 15, 2016, 11:03:53 pm »
I have to clean a house where new frames and glass have just been fitted.  I asked if the labels were removed and they have but left crap below them. Is there an easy way to remove this or do I use something like Virisol?

Thanks,
 Steve

Tadgh O Shea

Re: Removing Sticky Labels
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:30:40 pm »
Magic eraser pad dampened with water and scrub vigorously which will remove adhesive residues. Tadgh

chris turner

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:34:30 pm »
I have to clean a house where new frames and glass have just been fitted.  I asked if the labels were removed and they have but left crap below them. Is there an easy way to remove this or do I use something like Virisol?

Thanks,
 Steve

Use a glass scraper with a new, clean blade. Soap up the label with water and plenty of washing up liquid and scrape it in one direction.
Do not rub the scraper back and forth across the glass or you will risk scratches!
Only run the scraper forward across the glass, lift it off, wipe or shake the blade to remove excess, place back on the glass and again scrape forward.

If done correctly this is the best method and will not scratch.

chris turner

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »
Magic eraser pad dampened with water and scrub vigorously which will remove adhesive residues. Tadgh

This way will also work but is much more time consuming and tiring.
With a scraper just 2 or 3 forward strokes across the glass will remove the entire label and adhesive.

Iv removed literally 1000s of sticky labels off new build windows and always ended up going back to the scraper after trying chemicals, magic erasers etc.

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 12:01:48 am »

With a scraper just 2 or 3 forward strokes across the glass will remove the entire label and adhesive.

Iv removed literally 1000s of sticky labels off new build windows and always ended up going back to the scraper after trying chemicals, magic erasers etc.
Your a brave man Chris, you also don't believe that stainless steel scourers scratch pvc surfaces, why is it that manufacturers of glass always recommend that metal blades of any type should never be used to scrape glass, they must have their reasons.  Just to share like.

deeege

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 06:27:09 am »

This.

Faff around with magic potions all you want but when cleaning new builds by far the fastest way is with a clean scraper blade.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

paulben

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 06:32:40 am »
Nuclean on magic eraser quick rub no need for much elbow grease and no risk of damage
Do not steal the government hates competition

dave f

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:50:57 am »
you can also use the alcohol based  hand wash gel works a treat very quick

chris turner

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 07:57:58 am »

Your a brave man Chris, you also don't believe that stainless steel scourers scratch pvc surfaces, why is it that manufacturers of glass always recommend that metal blades of any type should never be used to scrape glass, they must have their reasons.  Just to share like.

I'm just talking from experience like ;)

S.A.J

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 08:24:07 am »
Bronze wool pads work well! Not as fast as a scraper but no risk in scratching

http://blackdiamond.webplus.net

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 08:28:27 am »
Tin of lighter fluid.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Tadgh O Shea

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 09:15:09 am »

Ya i know where your coming from Chris, i have experienced the scratching as well with s/s scourers and metal blades.

deeege

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:21 am »

Ya i know where your coming from Chris, i have experienced the scratching as well with s/s scourers and metal blades.

Are you out day to day doing new build cleans Tadgh? With all due respect using a scraper on these is the industry standard. If you turned up with all your magic potions and cloths you'd be laughed off site. Single Windows fine but these have got to be done quick to make decent money at them and by far the fastest and best way is a sharp blade.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

tonycarr

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 11:37:09 am »
Scrapers all the way

As said new blade and wet the glass first, been using this method for over 20yrs never had a problem

Tony
T & J Window Cleaning services

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »
it just depends on how many stickers there are to scrape off!the other month i was cleaning the insides of a large property and her sons room had a window with loads of stickers on the glass.she asked me would i remove them.no problem.i used a new blade and soaped up the window.nightmare to scrape off without any solvents so i got my bottle of "sticky stuff remover" from the van,applied it and left it for a couple of mins and it came off like wet tissue paper! ;) easy!

so get yourself a bottle(they sell it in b&q for a few quid) :)
price higher/work harder!

Steven Biggs

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
What about getting em off the plastic . You can't use a blade . What's best ?

chris turner

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 07:01:18 pm »
What about getting em off the plastic . You can't use a blade . What's best ?

As daz said, or this stuff
https://www.clickcleaning.co.uk/products/tar-and-glue-remover-5litre-1029

Steven Biggs

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:43 pm »
Right . I will try some of that stuff from b& q first . Got some fascias to clean and the mumpty has put sellotape all over em .

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 07:46:20 pm »
Right . I will try some of that stuff from b& q first . Got some fascias to clean and the mumpty has put sellotape all over em .

itll get it off no problem mate! ;)
price higher/work harder!